Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 14

Hybrid View

Default Credit Card info stolen

Today the bank notifies me that credit card information stored at a third party location was compromised and they had to issue me a new card. There wasnt enough stolen to use the card, there were no extra charges. They tell me only the last for digits of the account plus my name/address and expiration date was stolen.

They wouldnt tell me which company was hacked, somehow their privacy is more important than mine. Its a card I use only online, I used it at Blizzard, Netflix, Amazon.com, ISBoxer, and a couple other software companies. Pretty sure its a big company, not one of the small ones.

I just thought I would mention it, just in case it was Blizzard that was hacked, so you all can keep an eye on your cards.

While it may have nothing to do with it, there is an old known scam where someone steals your credit card info, it's stored into a db, and when they want to use it (can be a long time after it's stolen), they call you to verify if it's still active. They obviously pretend taking care of your privacy, and mention only the last numbers. Meanwhile you think you've been taken care off and don't take any action, and they go to party with you cc.

Just saying, as it sounds really weird that they would call you but don't mention the name of the company. I've had a (legit) call from BCC (company that takes care of all cc's in Belgium) where they tell me that might card might have been abused for gaming purposes. They explained me how to verify it and how to file a complaint. Reason was that I used the card at a couple of online gameshops, and they specifically mentioned which ones were suspicious. I was good in the end though, and it might be just a difference practice up in the US where they are not allowed to do this.
    Everything that is fun in life is either bad for your health, immoral or illegal!

Quote Originally Posted by zenga View Post
    Just saying, as it sounds really weird that they would call you but don't mention the name of the company.

it might be just a difference practice up in the US where they are not allowed to do this.
    http://consumerist.com/2012/04/visa-...taliation.html

The banking industry keeps surprising me. The worst part is that they keep getting away with it. I'm by no means a violent person (unless you nick my beer or smokes), but the only real solution I see is line them all up and shoot them one by one. Or put 20k volt on their nuts.
    Everything that is fun in life is either bad for your health, immoral or illegal!

The banking industry keeps surprising me. The worst part is that they keep getting away with it. I'm by no means a violent person (unless you nick my beer or smokes), but the only real solution I see is line them all up and shoot them one by one. Or put 20k volt on their nuts.
    I couldn't agree more.

My husband just had to cancel his card last week because someone was making purchases through his EA account. Not sure if that's one of the companies you used and probably not related at all, but on the off chance...
    Blog : Herding Khats
    Team : Kina - Çroaker - Messkit - Lìfetaker - Wìdowmaker
    Newbie Guides : Multiboxing Vol. 1 - Multiboxing Vol. 2 - HotKeyNet - Jamba
    The Almighty Lax made a liar out of me, apparently I DO get prizes for it.
    *Commences Wielding the Banhammer like there's piñatas up in here and I'm Lady Thor*

_ Forum search letting you down? Use the custom Google search _

if you sell any accounts be sure to delete any credit card info. I just got an account from a classmate and it still had 3 credit cards still stored in it. Good thing i'm honest
    Last edited by shadowlord633 : 04-29-2012 at 06:11 PM

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlord633 View Post
    if you sell any accounts be sure to delete any credit card info. I just bought an account and it still had 3 credit cards still stored in it. Good thing i'm honest
    1. Selling & buying accounts is violating the ToS, both of WoW and this site.
    2. You need a code on the backside of that card when you make a purchase, and on top of that part of the stored credit card number is obfuscated.

1. Selling & buying accounts is violating the ToS, both of WoW and this site.
    2. You need a code on the backside of that card when you make a purchase, and on top of that part of the stored credit card number is obfuscated.
    He cant read the card number but could probably buy Blizzard stuff or additional game time from the stored card.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGabriel View Post
    He cant read the card number but could probably buy Blizzard stuff or additional game time from the stored card.
    Don't you guys have a 3 digit number on the back of the cards in the US that you have to put in to confirm every order online? That number is the extra security check and is never stored online.