Close
Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Default How to deal with widely-spaced groups of mobs? Also known as...

the cheap-ass way BioWare's world builders burn down your health.

K, since that is out of the way, anybody have any suggestions? Basically, I've got my Imperial group up to about Level 40 and I've noticed something more-and-more the higher level I've hit. The number one way BioWare burns your health down is by spacing out groups of mobs and not really providing a means to cover the distance to each mob quickly.

Basically, you'll have a group of say 3 weak mobs. Then you attack them with a full group and say and elite or 2 strongs pop-up. That's not really an issue for me anymore. I've gotten comfortable using the various means of CC at my disposal. But I've noticed that even in groups where additional mobs DON'T pop-up, there'll be a substantial amount of space between in mob in a group. Plus, when you do have a group with alot of extra pop-ups, it makes the total distance you have to cover to clear the group of mobs even longer.

So, you attack and kill the first mob. Then you'll either be slowed or Force Charge isn't up yet, so you have to slug all the way to the second guy, taking damage the whole time. Attack and kill him. Rinse and repeat. With just a group of say three or four weak mobs, it can burn down half the health on my Juggernaut MT. And it's not like my guy is poorly equipped or the wrong spec. This is just something I've noticed and it strikes me as a really cheap-ass, weak-sauce way of designing combat. Basically, you give a group an achilles heal and then design the combat around that.

OK, </endrant>. Has anybody else noticed this or am I the only one? Any suggestions for counters?

Thanks!
    -Memooselah

i always focus on killing the weak/standard mobs first then move on to silvers then golds. Normaly i use a tank with a pull. Either Assassin or Powertech. So i rush the group with the closest mobs. so if 5 mobs total 3----2 I rush the 3 pack pull 1 of the 2 pack and taunt the 2nd of the 2 pack. Have my dps kill the lonely weak mob by him self first then kill the mob group im tanking.

Same strategy that I use. Kill the ones with lowest health first. It really cuts down the amount of damage your tank is absorbing and they drop quick

Quote Originally Posted by Memooselah View Post
    So, you attack and kill the first mob. Then you'll either be slowed or Force Charge isn't up yet, so you have to slug all the way to the second guy, taking damage the whole time. Attack and kill him. Rinse and repeat. With just a group of say three or four weak mobs, it can burn down half the health on my Juggernaut MT. And it's not like my guy is poorly equipped or the wrong spec. This is just something I've noticed and it strikes me as a really cheap-ass, weak-sauce way of designing combat. Basically, you give a group an achilles heal and then design the combat around that.
    I think the part that you're missing is that those are the ranged class mobs against your melee class team. It kinda makes sense that the ranged group would use a snare to increase the amount of time you take damage on your way to melee distance. When you fight the other melee mobs, I bet you don't have that happen.

The workaround is to have someone with a ranged DPS toon in the group.

Now enough devils advocate... I think its really annoying too, I really do. I have a team of 4 sentinels (no tank) and these types of mobs really burn down my health and right about the time i get to the mob... charge is up so why did i even bother. I feel your pain. This is actually why I'm having a blast (literally) with my agents and troopers b/c I love being able to finally get around this.
    You better Trek yourself before you wreck yourself!

Scouting out the group first can really help. While it's always good to burn down the easy guys first, you can make your life a lot easier by initially charging a ranged mob. The melee at that point, if there are any, will always run to you, so you can usually group up at least some of them that way. Even if they're weak, I'll never go for melee first, since I'd lose that opportunity to bunch them up a little.