Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 22

Default new pc build multibox gamer

well im building a new pc and i can afford the i5 2500k sandy bridge cpu.
    i want to someday 5 box a team of wow toons
    should and would this cpu run 5 copies of wow ok?

ill have 16 gigs of ram 6950 ati toxic card 2 gigs
    one ocz agility 3 120gig sd one 80 gig intel ssd which i have in my current system.
    western digital 1tb for music photos and other games.
    one samsung 27 inch led monitor
    will be using the asus sabertooh z77 mb

so would this system have any issues running a 5 toon team?
    also think i will be getting IS Boxer soon i like what i see about it.

do some of yall run off of one monitor with is boxer?

im looking to order in a day or so please anser as soon as possible
    Last edited by CD82 : 04-16-2012 at 02:35 AM

No issues at all. I'm running an i5 2500K (overclocked to 4.2GHz) with 16GB RAM and a 2GB 560ti and it's smooth as butter with 5 clients, Chrome, ISBoxer, and other odds and ends running.
    BeerbaronBeerbaronessBeerlordBeerladyBeerprincess
    Katiebird/PinktailsBluetailsRedtailsGreentailsWhitetails
    < Ascended >
    Bonechewer US - Alliance

No diss to anyone, just a question...

Why not wait and save the extra $100 and get the i7 2600K and OC it to 5.1GHz?

I mean to say, the OP has clearly got some money set aside and is ready to get serious. If it were me, and I had $1,300... for an "almost there" system, I'd go dig through the couches and from the car coin trays, to get an extra $100 to get the better processor.

I wouldn't know about the i5. I spent the extra $100. But the i3 is doable so long as you stay clear of major cities.

Id really hate for you to regret your decision a month from now, seeing other boxers with 5 accounts, high resolution, and buzzing around major cities or in big BGs with no issues, vs a glitch here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Apps View Post
    That's almost like telling people to drive their car around everywhere they go at a red line RPM. The voltage it takes to get to that frequency is not safe for the chip 24-7.

No diss to anyone, just a question...

I mean to say, the OP has clearly got some money set aside and is ready to get serious. If it were me, and I had $1,300... for an "almost there" system, I'd go dig through the couches and from the car coin trays, to get an extra $100 to get the better processor.

I wouldn't know about the i5. I spent the extra $100. But the i3 is doable so long as you stay clear of major cities.

Id really hate for you to regret your decision a month from now, seeing other boxers with 5 accounts, high resolution, and buzzing around major cities or in big BGs with no issues, vs a glitch here and there.
    Mirai's favorite chart is why I chose the i5. I'm not convinced that the 50% increase in cost of the processor would have been offset by an appreciable difference in performance. Especially after giving it a mild overclock.
    BeerbaronBeerbaronessBeerlordBeerladyBeerprincess
    Katiebird/PinktailsBluetailsRedtailsGreentailsWhitetails
    < Ascended >
    Bonechewer US - Alliance

I dunno about the analogy, but I'll concede, maybe not go for full OCing. To each their own.

I did check with the service manager about OCing the unlocked 2600K. His statement was that it was unlocked from the factory; provided maximum safe levels of v and heat are ok, and not to exceed. I read a lot before selecting a chip. In the end. Given the tech changes so fast, I don't want to regret a $300 purchase for any reason, when there is only $100 in the way. I.e. $220 now, regret, $320 later, is $220 more than I would've spent.

Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
    The voltage it takes to get to that frequency is not safe for the chip 24-7.

Granted I only get to play for a few hrs a day and seldom on Saturdays. I've not seen any heat issues from the chip yet.... yet. Its been 3 months. I'll let everyone know when (if) it dies. But I don't see that happening. I'm currently sitting at 1.31v. So long as Im under the 1.5v or 1.55v (OMG setting could be harmful)

Ref:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/910467/th...ormance-review

Besides, If this is my hobby, If I blow it, then I'll just go get another one and learn a lesson... but Im gonna have fun in the mean time

Anyway, as I said, I'll concede. My willingness to wreck a ferrari doesnt mean others should too.

Quote Originally Posted by Peli View Post
    Mirai's favorite chart is why I chose the i5. I'm not convinced that the 50% increase in cost of the processor would have been offset by an appreciable difference in performance. Especially after giving it a mild overclock.
    This little test shows more while multiboxing comparing what you can expect from a 2500K vs a 2600K @ 4.6GHz. Granted it's while 10-boxing but, that just means you're allowed more head room for better video settings while 5-boxing.

Granted I only get to play for a few hrs a day and seldom on Saturdays. I've not seen any heat issues from the chip yet.... yet. Its been 3 months.
    Which program are you using to monitor heat? Here are my temps @ 4.8GHz on aftermarket air cooling (not what I would call good temps for everyday use):

I'm currently sitting at 1.31v. So long as Im under the 1.5v or 1.55v (OMG setting could be harmful)
    There is no way that you're running 5.1GHz at 1.31 volts. You can see in the pic below that while I'm under load at 4.4GHz I'm using 1.29v:

That would mean that it takes you .02v more to reach the golden overclocking number of 5GHz -- No way. I had to pump 1.45v into my chip to get IBT to do a single pass @ 4.8GHz. I already know that I don't have a "cherry" chip but, my results aren't that bad. These are, for the most part, typical results:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...0E&w=100&h=375
    Besides, If this is my hobby, If I blow it, then I'll just go get another one and learn a lesson... but Im gonna have fun in the mean time
    And that's exactly why I made this post. I'm definitely not saying don't have fun with your hardware. If you can easily afford a replacement, live it up and do what you want! However, the way I read your initial post in this thread was that 5GHz is common on a voltage that most hardware people would consider 'safe' for every day use... when it isn't.

No problem.

I use OHM std. Temperature (last I remember checking, is set to auto shut down at 73. I could be of on the v a bit, as Im going off memory. I have seen systems operating at 5.5GHz with only 1.45v.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=687645

Regardless, off topic now. Point was, its just $100 for the good one. Save a few more days, and get the better chip. If not, looks like Fens got experience to say the i5 will work.

(last I remember checking, is set to auto shut down at 73.
    I would say 73 is perfectly fine. I like to see under 80 C when running IBT. Your CPU should automatically shut down at around 100 C unless you've disabled that in the BIOS.

I could be of on the v a bit, as Im going off memory. I have seen systems operating at 5.5GHz with only 1.45v.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=687645
    I don't see 5.5GHz in that thread, I only see him say 5GHz (also with no proof). He's apparently sold the machine as well according to his signature.

Regardless, off topic now.
    At this point I don't even remember what the thread was about...

I think the I5 2500 k with 16 gigs will be ok for a 5 Toon tram.
    Is the program Is boxer once you buy it
    Is it locked to a system or hard drive.

I thought about getting it now and testing some things