Close
Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: gearing at 80

Default gearing at 80

Hey folks,
    My new RaF team has just hit 80 (Paladin(84), Mage(80), Warlock(80), Shaman(80),Priest(80)) and I tried my first dungeon, BRC, in WotLK 78+ gear and got murdered!
    What’s the quickest way to get geared up for LFD? Should I quest for the first zone until I hit 81 and see how it goes?
    There’s not much on the AH for me to buy either. I’m starting to get together the starter cloth set for 80/81 and same for the shammy chain...

Grats on getting over the RaF hump at 80. I just got my first serious team past 80 so I will add what I can.

If there is a lack of AH and/ or craft-able gear available to you then your best bet may be to quest them through one of the first 80+ zones (recommend Mount Hyjal). My level 80 shaman team was able to go from almost no gear to being able to enter BRC/ ToT when about halfway through the zone. Then a few runs through BRC and a few AH pieces got me into the next level of dungeons.

I made it through BRC with my 85 prot ( iLevel ~ 386) and my 3x Ele / 1x Resto when they were in iLvL 240 gear. I would say if you can eventually find some nice items for the tank and healer via AH/ crafter friends they would obviously be the ones I would try to get the most gear for. This is what I did with the healer, even sadly grabbing
    some cloth healing items to eek through the dungeon finder requirements and the team as a whole had little trouble in BRC (keeping in mind that my paladin far overgears the instance). Also which are you healing with? The Shaman's
    tremor totem will help with one boss (off the top of my head I cant recall if it's 1st / 2nd boss).

TLDR- Try questing through Hyjal, you should be able to get enough gear halfway through that zone to run BRC. Also keep checking the AH and friends with crafting skills to gear up the Toons with preference tank> Healer > dps.

I hope this offers a little help. Good luck, doing the Cata dungeons has been a lot of fun for me. Also you may try some PvP to break it up, you can get some nice honor during holiday weekends although it will take longer to get the ssame honor in the 80-84 bracket versus in the 85 bracket.
    Last edited by dfwfire : 04-08-2012 at 03:47 PM
    5 Boxer, < and my imaginary friends > Magtheridon US

Wrath of the Lich King gear is really bad in terms of iLevel compared to Hyjal questing greens. ICC Heroic gear is on the same level as Hyjal questing greens. I recommend doing the entire zone of Hyjal(or Vashjir, but I hate Vashjir), to get decked out in 278/288 gear. The stamina difference in itself is huge, as well as the spell power/attack power difference you'll see. Being a triple boxer I don't much know what its like doing 5 mans by myself, so I can't really comment on the gear required to tank and heal dungeons at the same time, but if its anything like playing DPS, you're going to want to overgear the instances you do as much as possible, which I know sounds a little ridiculous. You're undergeared(from what it sounds like), and the gear should make immense differences. Not to mention that 80-82 is relatively quick(compared to 82-85).
    I triple box on Arthas(US-PvP) and Magtheridon(US-PvP)
    I also have solo toons on Turalyon(my main raider) and Destromath