Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 16

Default Realm locations can be deceiving

I was getting tons of lag all the time and just always chalked it up to being because of so many people in my area using the internet (Sacramento,CA area), but I was wrong. I made my characters on Coilfang because WOW listed it as a PST realm, and to me this meant west coast right? Wrong!!! The PST realms are also on the EASTERN COAST in New York. So I was getting lag because my realm was on the other side of the fricken United States. So I made my new team on Skywall and my latency is only 27 now compared to 1000-1500 on Coilfang. Check out this site for realm locations:

http://www.wowwiki.com/US_realm_list_by_datacenter

Where do you think our "pacific" realms are located .. :-(
    .[I

I live in Seattle area, and my realm Draka is either in LA or Chicago, not sure how to read that link.

Used netstat to find it but the last hop in my tracert is not what the list says it should be, for neither LA or Chicago.

I've always been curious how much the latency affects your DPS. I know that I've read that it does have a pretty drastic affect however I'm just curious by what percentage.

Here is my situation, I’m currently deployed to a location which has better than average internet for a deployment however it can still be patchy, I’m still relying on a wireless, public network. I still play on my US server which is almost exactly on the other side of the world. My latency on a good day is between 300-400 and when shit goes down hill it can reach 6k… at which point I either give up or switch to something that won’t take anybody else down with me; on average I would say it is between 300 and 1K... Pretty much impossible to play a tank or healer over here, but DPS stalling out in the middle of boss fight generally won’t get everyone killed, though I may hear about it after everything starts moving again. I’m hoping that once I return it’ll make boxing a little easier, my teams current I-lvl is roughly 385 with zero PVP gear all enchanted, gemmed and reforged and I still struggle with the new Heroics; I’ve made it to the last boss in the end of time but couldn’t make it down the damn hill to even fight him. I realize a lot of that is just a lack of skill but I’m really hoping that a better connection will make it a little less painful.

I get pings as low as 25ms cause I picked a relm with a server very near where I live. At 25fps a frame is rendered every 40ms. But there is a ton of extrapolation as to the location of characters, you computer will calculate the direction and rate of movement even if its not updated by the server, up to a point. It dosnt stop rendering just because it didnt get data from the server in the last 40ms.

28 BoXXoR RoXXoR Website
    28 Box SOLO Nalak 4m26s! Ilevel 522! GM 970 Member Guild! Multiboxing Since Mid 2001!

If you were getting 1000 - 1500ms ping to the east coast from the west coast there are bigger underlying problems in the path that your internet is taking to get there and it's, most likely, not Blizzard's fault. Unless you live in the sticks, your ping from coast to coast will most likely be < 100ms.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam DeathWalker View Post
    I get pings as low as 25ms cause I picked a relm with a server very near where I live. At 25fps a frame is rendered every 40ms. But there is a ton of extrapolation as to the location of characters, you computer will calculate the direction and rate of movement even if its not updated by the server, up to a point. It dosnt stop rendering just because it didnt get data from the server in the last 40ms.
    What does it mean? Will it blend?

My server is located in Los Angeles, only about 15000 kms or 9300 miles away
    Frostmourne (Oceanic) - Bloodlust - Alliance - 10 Boxer

If you're getting 500-1500ms within the US, there is something else wrong, as MiRai points out.

For context, I play on Magtheridon and get 250ms from Singapore.

I'm smack in the middle of the country and get ~120-250 to the LA data center, and 40-80 to the east coast. Check your servers kids!

Actually MiRai i just ran a trace and as soon as i hit the 16th jump at NYC it hits 200ms and on 17th jump still in NYC it times out. New York datacenter is not working for me it seems, somedays 200 others as high as 6k-8k all day when i played. Glad i made characters on Skywall this time, loving 27ms latency