Close
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Default Lotro Setup Questions

***UPDATED****

Got most of this working. Just wondering now if there is a way to have music play on only the main screen. The one you have active and are playing on.

Hey everyone,

Been away a long time. Waiting for SWTOR to be released and thought I would try Lotro. I have six accounts from when it launched, never did box it and had some questions.

Thanks in advance for the help.

1. If you have a maxed out comp how many instances can you run on one computer? Is it limited?

2. Do you need to copy the directory over and over to run new instances of the game?

3. Any tips with ISBoxer to get a quick follow/assist setup going?

4. Once you are out of the starter area can you level just by killings mobs or do you need to do quests?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Teslah : 10-04-2011 at 06:47 PM
    Pally, mage, druid, priest and shaman on Staghelm.

Ok, got it working and have ISBoxer launching a couple copies. Works great.

The music is playing on all windows. Is there a way to make just the main window play music? Whicever one you are currently playing on?

1. I was doing 6 clients on one pc, and my RAM would max out (6gb corsair dominator). I have a weaker video card (gts 250), so that may contribute to some problems as well.

2. You can run all characters from one directory. You will get better performance from one directory anyway.

3. Easy way to do follow is to first set the toon to follow as fellowship leader. Next, do a hotkey that on downpress selects the fellowship leader, and on keyup sends follow. You can bind all of those keys ingame to whatever you want.

4. You will level faster doing quests. The neat thing with lotro is that all the items you have to pick up are targetable. You can also setup the interact with target that lotro has (don't remember what it is called). You can then setup an assist and interact key for all your toons to easily collect quest items or mine/harvest/etc.
    EVE Online Get Ships. Train Skills.

This is from an older post of mine, but I still have the same computer setup:

I run 6 instances of LoTRO on my PC:
    64 bit Windows 7 Professional
    i7-920
    12gigs DDR3 ram
    2x NVIDIA GTX 285 (not in SLI, I have each one running a monitor)
    Intel SSD with one install

I have one instance running on one monitor, I left the graphic settings at the normal defaults. The other 5 are running on the second monitor, and I turned the settings down to low. I used IS to spread out the processor cores among the 6 instances, I forget the exact distribution.
    Everything loads very fast off the SSD, I use the mouse broadcasting in IS to click the login button for all 6 characters at once and they all load in right away at the same time. Same thing for zoneing into instances and buildings, it only takes a couple seconds for everyone to zone.

I was around 30% CPU, and 55% RAM usage while playing.

3. For a follow macro here is what I do. On all your slaves enter the following chat commands:
    /alias ;follow /follow
    /shortcut 9 ;follow

Replace the number 9 with the quickslot bar # you want the shortcut to appear in.

In ISBoxer I have a mapped key set up that sends F2 and 9 to all other windows.

I have "auto skill forwarding" option enabled on all the slaves and just have them keep the main character targeted.

"F" is the default assist key, and "U" is the default interact with target key. So you can set up something to send those keys to your slaves and they will assist the main character and interact with the target.

4. Questing is a good idea because it progresses deeds which unlocks virtues and all that other stuff, so I figure you might as well do quests when you are the appropriate level. Of course you can always grind mobs and then go back and steamroll through zones to complete the quest deeds.

Thanks for the responses.

Have 5 up and running with no noticeable problems just yet. Follow, assist working well. Friend is playing a Minstrel to heal.

Team is 1 guardian, 4 Hunters and 1 Minstrel.

Things I want to work on as I learn the game.

1. Getting conjunctions working. Haven't seen any pop up just yet. If anyone has any ideas here, please let me know. Using Innerspace and ISBoxer.

2. Is there a way to have the music just play on the main screen instead of on every instance of the game?

3. For looting items during quests do you just have everyone select the target and everyone try to loot it? Eventually they all get the correct amount of items this way? Or are you having one loot at a time? Seems like it would be easier just to have the loot key on one button, have everyone assist you and then try to have them all loot. If one person needs something he gets it.

4. Can the Minstrel heal everything? Diseases, poisons and whatever else happens? I know there are other healers, but want to try the Minsrel first as long as that class can heal everything.

5. Guardian can summon right? Hunters get the 15% speed buff for the party. Are there any other "must have" skills from other classes to do instances? Buffs, pets, etc. that you really should have for a complete team? Or will I be ok with 4 Hunters, 1 Minstrel and 1 Guardian.

Thanks again for the advice.

1. Getting conjunctions working. Haven't seen any pop up just yet. If anyone has any ideas here, please let me know. Using Innerspace and ISBoxer.
    I didn't play long enough to try to set that up, so I cant help you with that

2. Is there a way to have the music just play on the main screen instead of on every instance of the game?
    You can change the sound settings for each character. I believe settings are stored on a per-character basis.

3. For looting items during quests do you just have everyone select the target and everyone try to loot it? Eventually they all get the correct amount of items this way? Or are you having one loot at a time? Seems like it would be easier just to have the loot key on one button, have everyone assist you and then try to have them all loot. If one person needs something he gets it.
    Spot on. If they already have all of the item that they need, they wont be able to pick it up. I just make them all try to pick it up.

4. Can the Minstrel heal everything? Diseases, poisons and whatever else happens? I know there are other healers, but want to try the Minsrel first as long as that class can heal everything.
    As far as I know, yes. They seem to be a very popular choice for healer from my experience.

5. Guardian can summon right? Hunters get the 15% speed buff for the party. Are there any other "must have" skills from other classes to do instances? Buffs, pets, etc. that you really should have for a complete team? Or will I be ok with 4 Hunters, 1 Minstrel and 1 Guardian.
    Hunters summon. You shouldn't have any problems with the team you have. I am pretty sure that others have run the exact same team before.

Thanks again for the advice.
    No problem
    EVE Online Get Ships. Train Skills.

You can assign key strokes to the colors, look under the key bindings in the options menu. I believe they are under the "Fellowship Maneuvers" section (I'm at work now so I can't check for the exact name) and they should be named "Top", "Bottom", "Left". and "Right" rather than being named after the colors.

I have a multi step action in IS for conjunctions that sends the key bind I set for the color I want, one character at a time. So when a conjunction pop I hit the key 6 times. That way you can set up the more complicated color combinations. If you just wanted all the same color you could set it up much easier.

Conjunctions will not pop on normal mobs, they need to be Signature or higher, and are random. Guardians and Burglars get abilities that will start a conjunction.

Use IS to virtualize the settings for each of your characters, and then you can turn the sound off on each of their clients and leave it on your main character.

One thing I noticed with mobs that drop quest items is that if you loot the mob on your main character and after looting they still have the mob targeted that means there is loot on the mob for other characters. If after looting you lose the target on the mob there is nothing on it for another character. That can be useful for quests where the drops are not 100% for everyone in the group.

I send "F" to the slaves to assist the tank, and then "U" to loot the corpse. I let them all try to loot rather than switching screens to do it individualy.

The Minstrel is a good healer, they have the direct heal and a group heal. I'm pretty sure they cannot cure everything though. They get a fear cure, and other classes take care of the other detremental effects. Hunters get a poison cure, and LMs get disease, and wound cures.

Thanks for the great tips.

Anyone know how to make an alias, macro, rant or whatever it is called that can do a group invite so you can invite multiple people at once instead of clicking them? It looks a rant might be able to do it.

Ido you have any working ISBoxer scripts?