Close
Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Default Significance of the Page File?

I have 22gb used on my SSD hard drive and the Page File size nearly doubles it. So I would like to know what is the significance of the page file when it comes to multiboxing?

The page file is what your system sets aside as "virtual ram", in the event you need to use more ram (for whatever reason), your system starts using the page file as ram. That's why old computers slowed way the fuck down if you tried to do something tough on them - low ram, moved to page file.

If your ram consumption (say you only use 8 of 12gb while multiboxing) is low you can set your page file to 0. Note that if you do so and you actually need it at one point in time, it will cause the application to crash.

You can turn it off. (Or reduce it to say 4gb if you really don't want to lose it)

(See, I'm not always grouchy)
    Last edited by Sajuuk : 03-20-2012 at 03:51 PM
    Hardware Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk View Post
    The page file is what your system sets aside as "virtual ram", in the event you need to use more ram (for whatever reason), your system starts using the page file as ram. That's why old computers slowed way the fuck down if you tried to do something tough on them - low ram, moved to page file.

If your ram consumption (say you only use 8 of 12gb while multiboxing) is low you can set your page file to 0. Note that if you do so and you actually need it at one point in time, it will cause the application to crash.

You can turn it off. (Or reduce it to say 4gb if you really don't want to lose it)

(See, I'm not always grouchy)

Last edited by Sajuuk : Today at 03:51 PM
    Thats my favorite part.

Is there a Page file specific for SSD drives given they are "technically" just a large RAM chip? Should it be cleared every so often? If so, How?

There's nothing special about pagefiles and SSDs aside from being a bit harder on the MLC write cycles. If you have plenty of RAM, I would set the pagefile to 4GB custom size (instead of "system managed size"). That will prevent it from growing to stupid levels.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

I have 12gb of ram, so my page file is huge, and since my SSD capacity is only 160gb, I opted to move my page file to my 2 TB drives. Also, keep in mind that if you have hibernation enabled, you will have a file equal to your RAM. I nuked that off of my drive as well. Ram is so cheap these days, it has all but negated the need for a pagefile. If your system is utilizing the pagefile, then you need more ram. If you cannot afford or fit any more ram, then putting the pagefile on the fastest available disk is the best option, as your massive slowdown will be not so massive.

I wouldn't recommend turning the page file off completely, as windows will freak out if it needs to use it and it's not available. Most people with SSDs tend to have a large 1TB+ storage drive, which is perfect for pagefile.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddoran View Post
    I have 12gb of ram, so my page file is huge, and since my SSD capacity is only 160gb, I opted to move my page file to my 2 TB drives. Also, keep in mind that if you have hibernation enabled, you will have a file equal to your RAM. I nuked that off of my drive as well. Ram is so cheap these days, it has all but negated the need for a pagefile. If your system is utilizing the pagefile, then you need more ram. If you cannot afford or fit any more ram, then putting the pagefile on the fastest available disk is the best option, as your massive slowdown will be not so massive.

I wouldn't recommend turning the page file off completely, as windows will freak out if it needs to use it and it's not available. Most people with SSDs tend to have a large 1TB+ storage drive, which is perfect for pagefile.

This is very similar to the advice I was given. I had a long conversation with the store manager of the local PC hardware shop. He "highly" advised moving the page file to a HDD drive... or... he said "delete it every day".

I did only a few google searches, and decided he was full of shit given what was read said NOT to delete it.

Set your page file to a static value, no range. Put the page file on its own HD by itself, if possible. If it shares with other files/folders, the static value helps prevent it from becoming fragmented if it happens to increase in size.
    You can set a local policy to clear the pagefile out, but that is only if you're overly paranoid about security.

Some apps page whether you have gobs of memory or not, does WoW? No idea, you would have to set up perf counters and find out. I would recommend against removing the pagefile as a whole, though.
    The poetry that comes from the squaring off between,
    And the circling is worth it,
    Finding beauty in the
    dissonance