Close
Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    Blog Entries

Default Transfering toons with ascii letters in their names

When you transfer a toon, if the name is in use on the target realm then you will be prompted to change your name.
    So if you want a name change, then create a toon on the target realm with your name if one does not already exist with that name.

Once you've finished customizing the toon, and click the confirmation box that the changes are good...
    You get to type in the new name.
    Anything you type here that includes ascii lettering, such as (Alt 130 = é) or (Alt 131 = â) will be rejected.
    The process actually brings up another window, where you have to enter a different name.
    However, this new window does allow for ascii characters... but it has to be a different name than you picked in the previous step.

Once you enter the name, you will enter the world.
    Your unit frame will show the new (second) name entered, but you'll have your first name above your toon.
    Once you log out of the game, thereafter both your unit frame and toon name will be the second name you selected.

If you're set on the name Çüéîîâ (Alt 128, Alt 129, Alt 130, Alt 140, Alt 140, and Alt 131).
    You know it will be rejected.
    So pick anything you want that is not your desired name, but that does include the ascii lettering that will be rejected.
    Then when it prompts you for a different name, go nuts on the ascii stuff.
    EverQuest I: Bard / Enchanter / Druid / Wizard / 2x Magician.
    Diablo III: 4x Crusader & 4x Wizard.

My Guide to IS Boxer http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=26231 (somewhat dated).
    Streaming in 1080p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
    Twitter: @Ualaa

Quote Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
    If you're set on the name Çüéîîâ (Alt 128, Alt 129, Alt 130, Alt 140, Alt 140, and Alt 131).
    You know it will be rejected.
    Odd that it's like that for a transfer. I know they mentioned back months ago that they were going to remove the ability to use those characters in a name but, I just copied and pasted Çüéîîâ into the name field and I'm able to create the character and log it in. Very weird.

It was in the patch notes a while ago that on the US realms, no new toons could be made with 'weird' characters.
    Everything that is fun in life is either bad for your health, immoral or illegal!

I spent over an hr on the phone Friday with Blizz, and also saturday, and sunday in game with a GM. My toons names have an ascii "A" for 4 of the 5 accounts.

Not once did a blizz employee stop me, talk to me, even mention about "you cant do that".

One of the toons was incorrectly transferred to the wrong server... blizz had to transfer it back.

Between 5 blizz employees, they all assisted me in getting set up. All 5 toons were created and dinged level 80 using SoR.

Quote Originally Posted by zenga View Post
    It was in the patch notes a while ago that on the US realms, no new toons could be made with 'weird' characters.
    That's exactly what I'm saying... I can still create new characters with ASCII characters. The change seems to only affect transfers from what Ualaa is saying (but not Apps).

Perhaps its because mine was fubar'd, then blizz employee assisted vs allowing the website computer software do it. Not sure.

Making a level 1 on the destination server a head of time, with the name taken, so it forces a name change is an ingenious idea none the less.

Blog Entries

Snuggles, without ascii characters and with every variation of "ascii e's" was taken.
    But I knew the Snüggles name was fine... so reserved that.

So no problem at all in creating the toons with ascii lettering on a US server.

My process was:
    a) reserve the name, well in advance
    b) transfer the toon
    c) delete the toon with the reserved name
    d) customize the transferred toon

Unfortunately Cuddlés was available, but it would not allow me to use this once I entered it as the initial name.
    I knew how to generate the ü in Snuggles...
    So I now have: Cüddles, Hugglés, Kissés, Ticklés, and Snüggles... the others talked Judsea into getting a more appropriate name for the team (Kissés).
    EverQuest I: Bard / Enchanter / Druid / Wizard / 2x Magician.
    Diablo III: 4x Crusader & 4x Wizard.

My Guide to IS Boxer http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=26231 (somewhat dated).
    Streaming in 1080p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
    Twitter: @Ualaa

Its a bug. I had the same when transferring my DK. A GM can restore the name you wanted. At least here in the EU.