Close
Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Default Group stagger/splitting on movement fights.

All,

I run a tri-hunter setup now with my dk and shaman to do heroic DS 5 mans. This bit is driving me up a wall.

No matter what I do, 30/15 on performance, equal run/walk speed enhancements, etc, my guys split apart when I'm forced to move them.

First couple times isn't such a big deal but on a fight like Tyrande where the entire fight is movement my guys eventually end up 3-4 yards away from each other which makes Tyrande's attacks, as well as others like Blaine, a real pain in the butt.

Anyone have advice on how to prevent this? Basically all I want is for them to move TOGETHER instead of one initiating and another not responding a click to where they stream. Is broadcast the only way to do this?

My action group for this is all range (tri hunter + resto shaman) so they should all be receiving this together. For some reason on boss fights I'm getting latency between them. No other way to explain that.

Blog Entries

Because their camera angles are different, even if minutely so.
    And because characters will be slightly different in their facing...

There isn't really a method where they will stay in sync with each other, over distance.
    The more you move them, the more variations in their movement will crop up.
    Over a short distance, you won't notice much...
    But if you ever try to move a group in a formation, you notice it breaks apart fairly quickly.

The only way to reliably move them together, is to use follow.

For a boss mechanic, I'd mimic the "Others Jump" mapped key.
    Which sends SPACEBAR to all the windows, except the current character.
    You could use the WASD keys for the main toon/current toon, and the Arrow Keys for the others/slave toons.

If you're not using IS Boxer, you'd likely have to play around with Keybinds.
    If you almost always lead with the tank, then the slaves would consistently be the same toons.
    And this wouldn't be much of an issue.
    Rather than using left arrow/right arrow to turn, for a boss encounter you'd be better off with strafe (same as Q and E, for the main).
    You could alternatively go Shift + Q, Shift + W, etc... whatever works best for you.

When a puddle of goo appears.
    Everyone strafes to the left/right, to get out of it.
    When they have to move again...
    Same deal, to a relatively clear space.
    With a few moves here and there, they'll be in relative sync.
    Once sync breaks, your only real option to reestablish it, will be to use Follow.

If you're doing this within IS Boxer.
    You could make a mapped key... probably a Warcraft Macro Action, that is: /follow and only for the current window.
    Then make another mapped key, which has only the toons you want to re-sync, each target only one of them (the same on each).
    And then have those windows each run the previously made wow macro action, to follow that one toon.
    Move away from where you want them to face, just far enough that each will follow... then turn about and run through them, so they face the correct way... then back up marginally, so the toon is once more stacked with the others.
    EverQuest I: Bard / Enchanter / Druid / Wizard / 2x Magician.
    Diablo III: 4x Crusader & 4x Wizard.

My Guide to IS Boxer http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=26231 (somewhat dated).
    Streaming in 1080p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
    Twitter: @Ualaa

Assuming your using ISB I have a "slave strafe key" assigned to shift + e for right and shift + q for left. On fights like tyrande I strafe left the first time and right the second. They dont stay exactly in sync but since you only really have to move 3 yards its so close you wont notice. The strafing back is the key. I have a ranged follow key assigned to shift + F that makes all ranged follow the window I am on.

On Bain I drive from one of my ranged the whole fight since the tank doesnt have to move unless his platform gets targeted. As soon as you see baine switch targets I hit shift + F and whoever gets knocked back is still in range to follow me and I never have to switch windows. If your current window gets targeted just move like you would single boxxing and keep spamming your dps key.

One thing you can do to mitigate this is basically:

* Line them up with your guys on follow.
    * Move your main forward 20 yards or so just using your "move forward" keybind while your slaves just follow your main.
    * Move your main backward 20 yards or so just using your "move back" keybind while your slaves just follow your main.
    * Repeat several times.

What this does is causes the followers to "narrow" the angle more each time. It isn't perfect but I have used this in several fights where I wanted to constantly move the entire group around every few seconds.

Caveat: this doesn't work if you have to change directions during the fight or if you accidentally hit follow again. Basically, it will continue to work pretty good until you turn any character.

Hope that helps.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)