Close
Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Default ISBoxer and Managing AddOns (Plus Additional Misc. Questions)

Longtime reader here, but I haven't been able to box in several years due to life. I just built a new PC and decided to three-box again and level with my sig. other with RAF. So, being a new PC, I decided to try out ISBoxer. So far, I am still on the 7-day trial. Here's my impressions so far:

-- ISBoxer's Quick Setup Wizard is phenomenal: very quick, very simple. Gets a team up and running quickly. I wish it would scan active characters that have not been logged in at least once, but I suppose that's a problem on WoW's behalf not generating files until that point.

-- The automatic FTL assist is solid. It's a touch laggy occasionally, but for the amount of effort I put into getting it running, I'll spam the key an extra time or two.

-- The documentation feels fragmented and scattered across a few videos and a wall-of-text wiki. I've got no problem reading it (I do want to learn it, after all); however, it feels like a "needle in a haystack" search.

Now, the questions:

Preliminaries:
    -- 1 SSD with Windows 7 and 1 installation of WoW on it
    -- 1 500 GB HDD
    -- 8GB RAM
    -- i5-2500K 3.3GHz
    -- nVidia 550 Ti

1) I know ISBoxer creates "virtual files" and that it uses a unique config.WTF file for each character/account. Does it also do this for AddOns' SavedVariables? How should I handle this for each specific instance if ISB creates virtual data links on the fly? I almost feel that a SymLink is necessary to handle this. This is a huge question for me since I am going to be using the AH quite a bit on dozens of toons and would like to maintain unique settings per team: if I cannot deal with unique AddOn profile storage dynamically, then ISB is a no-go for me and I should move on to greener pastures.

2) On the topic of "virtual files" my settings are not saving for sound and graphics on the clones. They always revert to "Ultra" graphics presets with the sound on. Any fix for this?

I will add more questions as I think of them.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

my settings are not saving for sound and graphics on the clones. They always revert to "Ultra" graphics presets with the sound on. Any fix for this?
    Are you making adjustments while in game? ini files may be protected while in game. Log all the way out of the game while your making adjustments? You've tried making adjustments each wow client yet?

I didnt see any questions about addons?
    Perhaps you looking for something like this?
    Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it"

Blog Entries

The wizard virtualizes the config.wtf file.
    If you open up the Toolkit, you can see this under Virtual Files (in the top left).

By default, even with a single install...
    You can set your addons to load or not load on a per character basis.
    And they're either configured across the account or on a per character basis too.

If they're configured across the account, you could likely add whatever saved variable file is used for that character.
    Which would then be virtualized.
    There is a Virtual File wizard, if you right click on Virtual Files in the Toolkit.

I've not virtualized anything myself, but remember reading someone wanted an addon to work differently for boxing than running the game without IS Boxer... and Lax told them how to virtualize the file.
    So it should be doable.

FTL is dependent upon your latency.

Your main targets something different.
    It takes the server a bit of time (about as long as your latency) to register this.
    The slave wants to assist, it asks the server what your main has targeted, and gets a response... approximately double your latency.

I have a mapped key I made for having two DK's set Focus to one target.
    I gave it two steps.
    With an assist on key press (execute a step on press or release).
    And a keystroke action on the next step.
    That way, I can push and hold the key to account for latency.
    And when they have the correct target, I can release the key.

It all depends on what you want.
    In PvE, you can switch targets, press your hotkey for FTL Assist Me, wait a second...
    And then do whatever.
    In PvP... I switch targets with the active toon, and spam my DPS key, and the assist happens within a second or two (usually quick enough to not notice much of a delay at all).

You can ask questions here; there are a lot of knowledgeable people.
    You can also ask on the www.isboxer.com site, in the forums there, and Lax or someone will answer usually quickly.

The best resource is likely the IRC, which opens in your browser, on the IS Boxer site.
    Ask your question and wait, or go to another tab.
    Don't leave the room, and check back periodically.
    There are usually 50+ people there, but not everyone is actively on that tab.
    Asking if anyone is around is okay, but just asking your question is better... because when someone notices it, if you haven't left the room they can give an answer or their best guess or just point you in the right direction.

Too often someone asks if anyone is around.
    Or they ask a question.
    And leave the room, 3 minutes later.
    And I (and I'm sure others) check the tab say 29 minutes after they're gone.
    No point in answering then.
    If they had asked the question and stuck in the room; even a few hours later... is likely faster than a forum response.

For an i5 processor, the best option I found...

The main slot/character has one core exclusive to them.
    The slaves/everyone else share the remaining cores.

You can experiment with all cores on all windows, etc.
    But the solo core for the active region worked best for me.
    EverQuest I: Bard / Enchanter / Druid / Wizard / 2x Magician.
    Diablo III: 4x Crusader & 4x Wizard.

My Guide to IS Boxer http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=26231 (somewhat dated).
    Streaming in 1080p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
    Twitter: @Ualaa