Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 20

Default Is the "popsicle stick" trick legal in SWTOR?

I've tried googling it, and I searched here on the forum, but I cannot seem to find anyone saying they have gotten confirmation about the legality of this technique. So apologies if it has been answered in some other thread. I do see that Mercbeast uses this technique if I am not mistaken in his Mercbeast framework post.

I have found posts on the forum where people state that they have made multikey macros for healing(press on button and that selects a party member and casts heal), and since those threads are allowed to live and no moderator has posted in those threads that this is illegal, I am tempted to say it's legal.

When I was multiboxing in WOW I used this trick intensivly, ie. I press "1" and 1,2 and 3 get sent to the game window at the same time just as it would if I glued a Popsicle stick to my keyboard. In WOW I'm pretty sure there was a blue post saying it was legal to do.

I'm not planning on multiboxing in SWTOR, atleast not yet, but there are cases where this technique would add benefit to solo play, but I am reluctant to try it out in fear of being banned.

Anyone got an official answer to this? Asking here because I know I'll get an answer here before my ticket gets answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrocious View Post
    "... popsicle stick trick..."
    I thought I was a dummy for a second. I googled this. I still dont get it.

I see you have an ISBoxer badge. You dont have to multibox to use ISBoxer. You can use the software to help fine tune your dps... is that what your asking? Surely your not actually asking about taping a Popsicle stick to your keyboard... right??

Popsicle stick or penny trick just means using a stick, or penny or using keycaps to bind two or more keys together so you press one and multiple keys get pressed/sent. It's the argument used to justify sending multiple, non-concurrent inputs at one time.

He doesn't want to glue stuff to his keyboard, he just wants to know if this "spray and pray" method as I call it is something that they detect and ban for so he can it through ISBoxer for solo play.

As far as answers, I posted what they call an answer in the Multiboxing Allowed thread earlier. We've only seen one post about boxing and bans come up here and there likely had nothing to do with ISBoxer or the Framework and was likely due to other stuff.
    Blog : Herding Khats
    Team : Kina - Çroaker - Messkit - Lìfetaker - Wìdowmaker
    Newbie Guides : Multiboxing Vol. 1 - Multiboxing Vol. 2 - HotKeyNet - Jamba
    The Almighty Lax made a liar out of me, apparently I DO get prizes for it.
    *Commences Wielding the Banhammer like there's piñatas up in here and I'm Lady Thor*

_ Forum search letting you down? Use the custom Google search _

Khatovar got it right. I don't want to multibox SWTOR yet. I do multibox in WOW tho, and use that technique there(when mutiboxing and not). Got the idea from Mosq(sp?) and his DK manifesto.

I saw Khatovars post in the other thread, but the answer Khatovar got was so vague I don't dare to interpret that, also not sure what Khatovar asked about.

For me the question boils down to what is legal or not, not if I get banned for it. Since I won't do it if it's illegal but they will never catch me. So whether they can ban me or not is not question.

I'll update if I get a clearer answer from CS about this. Hopefully I won't get an equally vague answer.

Blog Entries

Khatovar got it right. I don't want to multibox SWTOR yet. I do multibox in WOW tho, and use that technique there(when mutiboxing and not). Got the idea from Mosq(sp?) and his DK manifesto.

I saw Khatovars post in the other thread, but the answer Khatovar got was so vague I don't dare to interpret that, also not sure what Khatovar asked about.

For me the question boils down to what is legal or not, not if I get banned for it. Since I won't do it if it's illegal but they will never catch me. So whether they can ban me or not is not question.

I'll update if I get a clearer answer from CS about this. Hopefully I won't get an equally vague answer.
    First off how on earth are they going to know that you are using any type of method to push multiple keys at once? I can slam my hand down on my keyboard and if they somehow see this they either have a secret camera or some other type of utility to detect this. Its just not going to happen.

Secondly boxing has not (as Khat stated) gotten anyone banned. If you do stupid shit against any TOS like automation, botting, harassment, etc. yes that will lead to you getting your ass slapped, but that has nothing to do with boxing.

People need to stop being so paranoid about multiboxing as it has been going on for years in multiple mmos without issue.
    Computer Freak Social Geek

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Quote Originally Posted by Khatovar View Post
    Popsicle stick or penny trick just means using a stick, or penny or using keycaps to bind two or more keys together so you press one and multiple keys get pressed/sent. It's the argument used to justify sending multiple, non-concurrent inputs at one time.

He doesn't want to glue stuff to his keyboard, he just wants to know if this "spray and pray" method as I call it is something that they detect and ban for so he can it through ISBoxer for solo play.

As far as answers, I posted what they call an answer in the Multiboxing Allowed thread earlier. We've only seen one post about boxing and bans come up here and there likely had nothing to do with ISBoxer or the Framework and was likely due to other stuff.

Roger that. Thanks for the clarification.

Whew! for thinking someone was about to tape a stick to their keyboard. heh, its silly now that I thought that.

Im currently using this method. Mosg2 and I speak often and sometimes nightly about tips n tricks, and "how to's". Id say, Ive been using this method for about 3 weeks. One thing we did was to ensure whichever key presses are done, don't have the same global cooldown, and thus "self-time" themselves. does that make sense the way I explained it? ... anyway, we also made sure we use keybinds of keys that are right next to one another. Specifically so that if... and I do mean IF, it is every questioned, I could easily turn off the Keymap Set and just do the same thing as pressing (3) buttons at the same time. The result would be the same... and now that I think about it, would be exactly like taping a popsicle stick to those three keys and pressing it.

the setup is specific to each toon, and to each talent / skill tree...obviously. But I must say, the results are amazing. Even some skills / attacks are clipped a little, while the damage still hits. I dare to say its seamless.

just to attempt to twist some screws at Mosg2, I have a RL friend who is playing a madness sorc, same level as me. When we duel.. I always win. ALWAYS. and by more than 30%. (Our hps are within 30 points, and our gear is very close in stats.)

Ive seen the thread Khatovar refers to. And I too have been trying to get a FIRM "yes ISBoxer is ok" comment. Most of my replies are also a bit vague or elusive. So, theres still a grey area there. Im doing it.

I think that teqnique would work great for my rage builder abilities as a SW. So if I press 1, 1 and 2 get sent to the game window, and I would put my Sundering Assault and the other rage builder in quickslot 1 and 2. Since Sundering assault has a few second CD it hopefully would be used when it was off CD. Not sure if it would work since I haven't tried yet since I am unsure of the legality of it. Also great for an "Oh shit" button to blow all defensive cooldowns.

I'm an old man, so my reflexes ain't what they used to be, so any help I can get legally to perform better is ok in my book. If it's not legal I won't fret over loosing out on a CD 30% of the time. I can live with that.

Jugg - Defense spec.
    I believe its...
    Sundering Assault
    Smash
    Force Scream
    Assault

in that order.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Apps View Post
    [
    Ive seen the thread Khatovar refers to. And I too have been trying to get a FIRM "yes ISBoxer is ok" comment. Most of my replies are also a bit vague or elusive. So, theres still a grey area there. Im doing it. [/B]
    I do not think we will ever get a confirmation that any software outside of the game client will be officially approved. They just don't want to get into that slippery slope and once they approve one application they then have to start giving out approvals for any others that request it. I think their time is best spent elsewhere. We just have to be satisfied with the generalized responses that we get. Only comfort we can take is that no one has been banned as of yet using any boxing software "legitimately."
    Computer Freak Social Geek

GET OFF MY LAWN!

I really think youre absolutely right Vecter.