Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 22

Default Getting started with 2-boxing SWTOR

Hey, guys.

I am wanting to 2-box SWTOR like I have every other game I've ever played, but the lack of macros is causing some problems. First of all I am not using isboxer. I am running one game on desktop and one on laptop and they are next to each other on my desk. Eventually I will probably see about getting Synergy up and running to share keyboard/mouse (hasn't worked for me since upgrading to Win7 - never looked into why).

At least /follow now works, so that's one hurdle down.

Anyone got any tips on running two accounts like this? My biggest problems are targetting (no /assist command?) and maneuvering both characters around quickly in battle. Is it easier to run two of the same class characters? Or should I continue trying to run two separate classes like I have been.

Also, I've heard of focus targeting, but I haven't really seen anything about how to use it. Is there a guide to that somewhere?

Thanks for any help

Quote Originally Posted by OldRod_KS View Post
    Hey, guys.

I am wanting to 2-box SWTOR like I have every other game I've ever played, but the lack of macros is causing some problems. First of all I am not using isboxer. I am running one game on desktop and one on laptop and they are next to each other on my desk. Eventually I will probably see about getting Synergy up and running to share keyboard/mouse (hasn't worked for me since upgrading to Win7 - never looked into why).

At least /follow now works, so that's one hurdle down.

Anyone got any tips on running two accounts like this? My biggest problems are targetting (no /assist command?) and maneuvering both characters around quickly in battle. Is it easier to run two of the same class characters? Or should I continue trying to run two separate classes like I have been.

Also, I've heard of focus targeting, but I haven't really seen anything about how to use it. Is there a guide to that somewhere?

Thanks for any help
    Ouch.
    Well, to the best of my knowledge, only ISBoxer can effectively box SWTOR. (edit* i may be corrected here by someone.. to clarify, ISBoxer can open multiple windows on the same machine and broadcast keys to each client window.. I dont know of any other software that has accomplished this yet) So, youre already very limited or next to nothing really... especially without an in-game macro system for /assist.

there *is a way to assist with using the target of party member 1 and party member 2, then target your targets target, using the in game keybinds. But there isnt a way to broadcast the command at the same time... not to mention the fact that depending on what window... sorry what *character you are on, the assist is going to be different.

No offense meant here at all... yet as a gentle reminder, ISBoxer is what? $10?

Im sure you can "struggle bus" your way to customize your stuff but you are eventually going to hit a wall.. a $10 wall.
    Perhaps if you do go for it, post some settings for other people who attempt the same feat?

Good luck!
    Last edited by Apps : 01-23-2012 at 12:27 PM

Is there any problem with SWTOR's EULA using ISBoxer? That's the only concern I have holding me back. My desktop is strong enough to run two instances and I have two monitors, I just was worried about the EULA.

Get rid of Synergy. It was cool 10 years ago, but Input Director is a lot better.
    http://www.inputdirector.com/

I have been thinking of dual boxing sw, but without some major UI upgrades, I cant justify the costs to simply have a healer on /follow. I already have one with the companions. But it would be interesting to see or know if the companions are capable enough that you don't have to do more than dual box.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_Jones View Post
    Get rid of Synergy. It was cool 10 years ago, but Input Director is a lot better.
    http://www.inputdirector.com/

I have been thinking of dual boxing sw, but without some major UI upgrades, I cant justify the costs to simply have a healer on /follow. I already have one with the companions. But it would be interesting to see or know if the companions are capable enough that you don't have to do more than dual box.
    As a sith inquisitor you will have no problems with your tank companions if you upgrade the gear every once in a while at least until the late 30's. Between 40 and 45 I could see some issues, it seems that the performance of the tank companion drops at that point. Once you hit around 45 (I think?) you should get a better ranged tank companion though.

I can't really speak about anything else, just sharing my experience.

<<Grim Batol - EU>>

Is there any problem with SWTOR's EULA using ISBoxer? That's the only concern I have holding me back. My desktop is strong enough to run two instances and I have two monitors, I just was worried about the EULA.
    I'll go look for the thread / post both here and on swtor.com later, im too lazy / busy at the moment to get it for you. Needless to say... ISBoxer is ok, and does not break any ToU or EULA stipulations. This has been confirmed with Bioware employees a couple times early on. If i get time later, I'll edit this post and put the link in, or someone else may beat me to it.

MBing allowed - http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=45727
    Last edited by Apps : 01-23-2012 at 02:22 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Apps View Post
    I'll go look for the thread / post both here and on swtor.com later, im too lazy / busy at the moment to get it for you. Needless to say... ISBoxer is ok, and does not break any ToU or EULA stipulations. This has been confirmed with Bioware employees a couple times early on. If i get time later, I'll edit this post and put the link in, or someone else may beat me to it.

MBing allowed - http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=45727
    Thank you!

I was thinking more like boxing a tank/healer with dps companions, or a Tank/tank with healer/healer companions. Make your Tank's dps tanks or something. The companion system if its robust enough to not have to 4 box stuff.

Thank you!
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_Jones View Post
    I was thinking more like boxing a tank/healer with dps companions, or a Tank/tank with healer/healer companions. Make your Tank's dps tanks or something. The companion system if its robust enough to not have to 4 box stuff.
    Depending on your current level of awesome... you can dual-box HEROIC+4 stuff. HEROIC+2 is easy and often soloable. RAID (Flashpoints) are NOT two man-able while attempting to use companions in the place of actual characters.

1. The healers are smart, just not predictive or focused. They wont stop an action to heal you at the moment you need.
    2. DPS is no where near an actual player
    3. Tanks do not have the gear or enough mitigation to be an effective tank... if you pull off it, its yours... they arent smart enough to save a taunt and pull it back.
    4. Companion DPS constantly breaks CC's with AoE. They dont care.
    5. Two maning a FP is doable, but only when you out level and out gear the FP significantly, while using companions.
    6. Of course, companions cant join in the warzones.

I believe the companions are there to help the story along while doing the PVE stuff minus Raids.

So far, my favorite team is a Jugg and Sorc combo. They each have enough companions to allow me to inter change them and accomplish whatever I am up against at my level. The Jugg is Defense with dps gear. The Sorc is Madness with heal gear, and a few points into heal. When faced with some Republic scum, I am able to blow away my opponents in world PvP easily up to about 7 levels above me, and if I focus, and with all skills /attacks at my disposal... even up to 10 levels above.
    Last edited by Apps : 01-23-2012 at 03:23 PM

I have been 2boxing without ISBoxer so far, but I did the old level one high enough to boost the other method. I can't seem to get the follow work on both characters and I am sure its because I have something very basic wrong.

Follow works post 1.1 patch but its quite odd. It works like an NPC follow to be honest (better than nothing but irritating none the less). For example, you jump down from a fence down as a shortcut. The following character will try to find a "legit" way. If the character gets too far from the following target, it stops following. (in case of companion it teleports to you, obviously a playing character cannot do this)

Follow also breaks when you cast or do any action while following (attacking, healing etc) even if its an instant cast. I have a level 50 (Jedi Consular Sage, healer), which I leveled on my own. Got my other account that has a Jedi Knight and manage to power levelish to 36 (done the heroic and flashpoint). Then got my current 2 box which is a Bounty Hunter (Powertech tank) and An Imperial Agent (operative healer). I can do Heroic 2s and some 4s but these are still level 25-26 where the difficulty curve is not that steep. While tackling heroics I need to be at the very least 2-3 levels higher or else its too much incoming damage to the tank, that even with companion healer + my healer won't be able to handle (yes including CCing).

With the Sage I powerleveled the jedi Knight to teral V. Which then became an issue of lack of dps. (even with companions) The other team I just finished hammer station. Of course they were 25 vs mobs of 19-21. And the end boss I barely managed to pull it off. Without the mobility offered by ISboxer I simply can't micro manage with my two hands. This weekend when I got time I will try to configure so that I can at least manage a basic setup of movement and follow/assist.