Close
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 119

Default Running a Large Guild

Well I recently took over a 1000 man level 25 guild on Ner'zhul (as you can see accumulating a ton of gold is yet another way to advance).

Sponsored By WOTLK (I'm the GM and been so for a few days).

Armory is down so I can't give a link.

Of course I have no idea how to run a guild with other people in it. I did it mainly so I would have all guild perks for my characters (see how fast I will level when I get RAF and have these guild perks).

Anyway the guild was not very active with raids being pugs and I think the reason it always has 1000 members is that anyone can invite anyone lol ... but there does seem to be some (a lot?) of solid level 85 players and I have made 3 of them raid leaders. Of course a lot might quit when they see the change in leadership but as the prior GM logged on once a month or so dosn't seem he really bonded with the membership. Im not planing to raid myself but as the guild with be "The DeathWalker Empire" I don't plan on sitting around like a potted plant eaither. I never heard of a guild that didnt schdual raids.

So what kind of addons should I use for DKP or whatever system is in vogue now and setting raid times and organizing all that and some kind of software or addon to have a forum or some way to communicate with members that isnt the MOTD?

EGPG seems popular for the DKP system; and

http://www.wowwiki.com/Guild_website_utilities

has a long list of website stuffs. I don't want to mix my personal web site with the guild site so I'll host it somewhere else. Anyone have experience with these guild website ultities?

Anyway what are people here using in their guilds or guilds they are in?
    Last edited by Sam DeathWalker : 08-30-2011 at 09:16 AM

28 BoXXoR RoXXoR Website
    28 Box SOLO Nalak 4m26s! Ilevel 522! GM 970 Member Guild! Multiboxing Since Mid 2001!

You should ask your members to post pictures of themselves in leather pants, and make everyone that does an officer.
    Everything that is fun in life is either bad for your health, immoral or illegal!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam DeathWalker View Post
    Of course I have no idea how to run a guild with other people in it. I did it mainly so I would have all guild perks for my characters (see how fast I will level when I get RAF and have these guild perks).
    Well, what do you want out of the guild aside from the leveling perks? Let the guild know and be ready for the potential hassles that come with it. I would say that if all you want is the perks, let everyone know that as far as you are concerned, it is a social/leveling guild. If they want to organize raids or groups, that's great, but let them know that you're not going to deal with drama or get involved in disputes. Otherwise you might find yourself spending a heck of a lot of time dealing with interpersonal gripes instead of actually playing the game.

Most guilds of that size are the type that you described, where they'll invite anyone and everyone. Some of those guilds can support a raiding team or two, but in general they tend to be a huge hassle if you try to create any sort of organization or structure.
    "Multibox : !! LOZERS !!" My multiboxing blog

I'd just kick everyone out. that way you just dont have to worry about it and you have a level 25 guild with vault

A guild like that is just a leveling farm, leave it as it is and people will continue to invite new toons and alts to benefit from all the perks and they will leave to find a better guild. If you are trying to change things, then reward the 85's who are on with promotions, gold, and bank access. Guilds like this run themselves. If there are 10 people who want to raid, they will set it up themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Oatboat View Post
    I'd just kick everyone out. that way you just dont have to worry about it and you have a level 25 guild with vault
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_Jones View Post
    A guild like that is just a leveling farm, leave it as it is and people will continue to invite new toons and alts to benefit from all the perks and they will leave to find a better guild. If you are trying to change things, then reward the 85's who are on with promotions, gold, and bank access. Guilds like this run themselves. If there are 10 people who want to raid, they will set it up themselves.

This and or this...

Who cares!? Its a video game. You dont owe these people jack. They arent paying your monthly subs. Rule how you see fit. Boot em all, or leave it alone is my suggestion. If you "try" to be a GM of established bullshit and drama, then thats all you'll get... BS and drama.
    Been there, done that.

Well the only perk about keeping people in there that i wouldnt mind would be the guild challenges that get met and you get free Guild gold. So thats one bonus.

I got what I want from the guild aready (bank is closed and only used by me, but I do give officers the guild repair thing) and the perks.

Still Im not going to sit and do nothing, a guild that raids by pugs? What is that. What do real guilds do for organizaed raids?

Im not going to get involved in all the problems myself but I want to appoint some raid leaders and let them handle that, but what addons or software do the real guilds use to set up raids? And dont guilds have a forum for discussions? We had one in Hate (EQ) when I was a member for a short time.

28 BoXXoR RoXXoR Website
    28 Box SOLO Nalak 4m26s! Ilevel 522! GM 970 Member Guild! Multiboxing Since Mid 2001!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam DeathWalker View Post
    I got what I want from the guild aready (bank is closed and only used by me, but I do give officers the guild repair thing) and the perks.

Still Im not going to sit and do nothing, a guild that raids by pugs? What is that. What do real guilds do for organizaed raids?

Im not going to get involved in all the problems myself but I want to appoint some raid leaders and let them handle that, but what addons or software do the real guilds use to set up raids? And dont guilds have a forum for discussions? We had one in Hate (EQ) when I was a member for a short time.
    Seriously, I think you are making a mistake.

Yet, Ill answer your question.

Hard Core Raiding guilds...Use

DBM Addon
    Threat meter Addon (like OMEN)
    DPS Meter Addon (like Recount)
    Magic alert Addons (like Decursive)
    Healing target to target Addon (like Voodoo)
    Gear management Addon (like WebDKP) - You may or may not choose to use the actual point system, to reward loyalty to the guild and raid on time prepairedness, however, this is entirely up to you... only the top 5 guilds on servers actually employ this portion of the addon. Most use it to track gear, and whos getting what only.

Use the ingame guild calendar to schedule raids and raid invites.

Dont rely on a guild webiste for communication, people quit doing that 2 yrs ago. You are ingame, communicate there. Important stuff goes in guild calendar, or guild notes.

Schedule weekly or bi-weekly meetings with your officers to ensure there is steady progression.
    Perhaps assign general glass leaders.. I.e. a Tank Leader, who is most knowledgable about druids, pallies, DKs, warriors, etc... and has tanked most every boss in the game, knows all strats from tanking perspective.

You will want to also assign someone to handle the Raid consumables. Usually the Raid leader will appoint this person.. (I.e. someone to ensure they have mats for flasks, enchants, gems, access to Epic BoE patterns or items from guild ban
    k etc..)

Regressing... you really are fine with the PuG situation right now. Honestly, it IS better for your healers to LEARN their tanks, and vise versa... However, now a days, Blizzard has almost removed the full MMO interaction from the game, so you can just pick up a few PuGs and continue to roll over stuff.

You appointed raid leaders, let them figure it out. I mean, you have no intention of raiding and you're just using the guild for perks and the bank, why impose all sorts of plans for an established guild when you aren't even going to be an active part of it? Maybe there's a 1000 people in the guild because they don't want to be bothered with structured raiding and srs wow bzns.
    Blog : Herding Khats
    Team : Kina - Çroaker - Messkit - Lìfetaker - Wìdowmaker
    Newbie Guides : Multiboxing Vol. 1 - Multiboxing Vol. 2 - HotKeyNet - Jamba
    The Almighty Lax made a liar out of me, apparently I DO get prizes for it.
    *Commences Wielding the Banhammer like there's piñatas up in here and I'm Lady Thor*

_ Forum search letting you down? Use the custom Google search _