Close
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 81

Default Boosting experiences

Just did a new blog post outlining my experiences with boosting a new team last week regarding locations, where to move teams etc. Feel free to check it out, though will post the most relevant bits here later tonight.

http://www.gen-xxx.com/2011/07/20/fi...e-experiences/

below is a brief schedule of my boosting experience with the new raf, it might be of some help

boosting was done with a lvl 84 mage:
    essentially run through instances spamming arcane explosion & arcane barrage. arcane blast and missiles for the bosses. higher level instances pop mirror image to tank

1-11 starter quests

(pickup tabards for factions - running instances will get you exalted with at least 4 of the 6 factions)

11-21 Shadowfang Keep (port to location with have group will travel) - you only need to do 4 runs so dont have to worry about the 1 hour lockout for instances)
    21-41 Scarlet Monastery (cath and armory - doing other other two instances when the quests become available - run of both is just over 12min)
    41-45 Scholomance
    45-48 Stratholme 1 run live and a couple of undead
    48-58 Upper and Lower Blackrock spire (3 runs) - takes 40 minutes per run but great xp

58 first couple of quests in HFP (kill the demons, destory the gateways and the 2x bombing runs) which opens up the weaken the Ramparts quest
    58-64 ramps and blood furnace - including the omninous letter q, weaken the ramps and blood is thicker q's
    64-68 sethekk halls and 2x quests
    68-69 shadow labs including 4x quests (this took up pretty much the whole of the level (around 90%)
    69-69.5 Ring of blood questline.
    69.5-70 sethekk halls (stayed here as it is essentially an easy autopilot boost) - at the time didnt have wotlk, otherwise would have gone to Northrend. (it was only 2 runs anyway.. each kill was still giving around 1400xp)

with raf questing is a joke in Northrend 80% of BT gets you to from 70 to 76, basically pick and choose your fav quests. i decided to quest rather than boost so i had some money on the toons to go towards the 8k flying costs

70-76 Borean tundra questing - (including one run of the Nexus and the 4 quests) - skipping quite a few of the collection q's
    76-78 Scholazar Basin (nessingwary's bascamp and freya Questlines)
    78-78.5 Ampitheater of Anguish in Zul Drak
    78.5-80 Icecrown (argent crusade start bit)

/played time is averaging around the 32-34 hour mark to 80
    Last edited by mikekim : 07-20-2011 at 04:23 PM Reason: messed up on the outlands level range - now corrected

Quote Originally Posted by mikekim View Post
    below is a brief schedule of my boosting experience with the new raf, it might be of some help

[lots of stuff missing]

/played time is averaging around the 32-34 hour mark to 80
    Are your experiences/methods the same when it comes to where you park your characters for boosting? It's
    been awhile since I've boosted but I do Armory different than Knytestorme mentioned as I pull Herod first and
    then bring him back (don't remember if you can pull him all the way back to the beginning, though, since I
    always killed him earlier than that).

Alternatively.

Scholo 37-42

BRD 42+

BRD is really very good now, my basic run is to clear the main entrance area + the loops, moving the lowbies into the area so they don't miss xp. Then run to the shadowforge gate or whatever and take the door into that area. Close the door and clear all the way to General Angerforge. Run back to the big door drop down into the semi circle area with the dorf packs on the opposite end as Bael'gar. Clear out towards where your lowbies are and run them down through the shadowforge gate, then clear to Bael'gar. Reset. It is HUGE xp and will get you into your mid 50's very easily. By 53-54 I'd probably switch over to lower BRS until ramparts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenril View Post
    Are your experiences/methods the same when it comes to where you park your characters for boosting? It's
    been awhile since I've boosted but I do Armory different than Knytestorme mentioned as I pull Herod first and
    then bring him back (don't remember if you can pull him all the way back to the beginning, though, since I
    always killed him earlier than that).
    SFK - leave the toons in the entrance

Graveyard - clear to stairs, move toons to there then proceed to clear the rest of the instance

Library - clear to start of library, move toons to there then clear

Armory - i clear the first courtyard and the mobs at the bottom of the stairs, then move the toons to there.
    i then proceed to clear the rest, running to the end of the instance spamming arcane explosion, no need to pull herod back

cathedral - clear the lower level move the toons to the stairs, clear the upstairs outside, then straight to morgraine, which aggros the rest of cath (apart from fairbanks).

Scholo - same as Knytestorme

Strat - same as Knytestorme

urbs & lrbs - clear to fire boss then move up toons, you can do the clear and move bit, for the rest of the instance. once they hit mid 50's you can leave them on follow without issues.

Ramps - same

BF - clear and move (most of the time i ran this was with the quests, so had to pickup blood)

Sethekk same as Knytestorme

Nexus - clear and move

No need to move the toons in Cath.. they will get exp from everything if you leave them at zone in. You can even kill the boss in the hidden room and they will get exp. Same for Lib.. leave them at zone in and you can kill the boss.. they will get exp.
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonheart View Post
    No need to move the toons in Cath.. they will get exp from everything if you leave them at zone in. You can even kill the boss in the hidden room and they will get exp. Same for Lib.. leave them at zone in and you can kill the boss.. they will get exp.
    The range at which you gain XP was nerfed in 3.3 and you can no longer fight in the Cathedral and gain XP. As
    for Library, XP should be gained up until Doan's room.

My experience with the new RAF.
    No BoA's until level 70. (Stuck on trial), summon rotation with 3 separate characters. Have Group Will Travel (HGWT), doing all dungeon quests as they become available inside/outside of dungeon.

10-15 -> Ragefire Chasm
    15-20 -> Shadowfang Keep (HGWT)
    20-40 -> Scarlet Monastery, 4 wings per reset until they become obsolete (HGWT)
    40-50 -> Zul'ferrak (HGWT)
    50-58 -> UBRS/LBRS (HGWT)
    58-61 -> Hellfire Ramparts (HGWT)
    61-63 -> Blood Furnace
    63-65 -> Mana Tombs (HGWT)
    65-68 -> Shadow Lab
    68-72 -> The Nexus (HGWT)
    72-75 -> Azjol Nerub, Ahn'Kahen, Violet Hold (HGWT, Dal Port)
    75-80 -> Halls of Lightning (HGWT)
    80-81 -> Questing (Hyjal)

Total play time of about 20 hours, about 1.5 hours were spent AFKing. Done over 2 days.

Conclusion? Leveling is absurdly easy! Never been a better time to start up, or to level new characters.
    Yahtzee & Co. - The Pineapple Stand
    | Yahtzoo | Yahtzuu | Yahtzii | Yahtzaa |
    Server: Coilfang-US [Horde]
    ~ Just five rolls of the dice.

Xexyz & Co. - The Shrill Annoyance
    | Othellô | Othellò | Othellö | Othelló |
    Server: Coilfang-US [Horde]
    ~ Humiliating defeat courtesy of shrieking goblins.

How I do it...

10-20 -> Wailing Caverns
    20-38 -> Scarlet Monastery
    38-48 -> Zul'Farrak
    48-58 -> LBRS and the first room of UBRS.

With WC and SM you're going to get locked. I can usually get SM done in about 35 minutes. Really nice to get 4-6 levels in SM in 35 minutes, then relax for a bit. This is just how I do it with a weird schedule. It's a lot less running and with an epic flying mount and level 23 guild, really easy and not much movement required. I usually don't get a mount til level 38 when I do ZF. Mounts are pretty nice for ZF though.

One nice thing about LBRS is that there is a point in the instance where you can stand and get about 95% of the xp for the rest of the instance. When you get to the ogre part, there's a bridge. If you place your boosting characters halfway on the bridge, you'll get XP for the rest of the instance. You only have to move your slaves 3-4 times before this point and I was eventually getting to where I could do a LBRS run in about 20-30 minutes. I did it with an 83 Ret Paladin in Prot gear, so I'd imagine with a better geared level 80 it'd be quicker.

The reason why a geared level 80 is better because the stats at 80 are more ridiculous than at level 85. My level 81 Mage in 4 piece t10 has like 30% haste, 45% crit, and a little less spell power. You will do more dps in a t10 geared toon than a heroic geared level 85.

EDIT: I quest from 58+. I don't know why, i just find them easier, and honestly even though dungeoning is pretty OP, the quests in Outlands and Northrend are really enjoyable with RaF. I went from 59-63 on my mages in about 90-120 minutes. The first quests in Hellfire are a bitch though(Collect wood and bloods), but beyond that its kill kill kill.
    I triple box on Arthas(US-PvP) and Magtheridon(US-PvP)
    I also have solo toons on Turalyon(my main raider) and Destromath

Quote Originally Posted by Fenril View Post
    The range at which you gain XP was nerfed in 3.3 and you can no longer fight in the Cathedral and gain XP. As
    for Library, XP should be gained up until Doan's room.
    That's incorrect Fen.

As said, if you move your team up to the arch leading into the first courtyard and park them there they will get xp for any mobs killed up to the second set of pillars in the cath itself, though I pull Morgraine and then move back to the cath door and let them come to me to die there.