Close
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Default Mobile Authenticator Restore Code - New Functionality

The Android Mobile Authenticator App was updated recently (I assume the Windows / iPhone versions are either already updated or will soon be)

The great thing about this new version is you can write down your serial (not new) and a Restore Code (zomg new)

What this allows you to do is wipe the app and reinstall it, enter the serial and restore code, and your authenticator app will work for your account again without having to call blizzard to remove the authenticator. So if you get a new phone, just install the app and enter the info and you won't have to remove / re-add your authenticator.

OM(F'in)G. I had an iPhone 3G that I outgrew. So I got an iPhone 4. But since the authenticator was on the 3G and ...
    1) I have 5 seperate B.Net accounts so I can log all in on one code
    2) I have the authenticator from the 3G locked to the accounts
    3) If I put on a new authenticator I have to only use it on one account
    4) I can't use my 3G (no cell service on it), I leave it at home and can't log in (no code) at work or out on the road
    Now I can (just did) make my 4's authenticator sync (use serial and restore code) to my 3G's, I can use it at work, out on the road and even if my 3G crashes, I have a backup. So at end, I can still log into all accounts at once and have a way to get a code at work. /bow to Blizzard.

So amazing, everyone has to see this.

heh my iphone autoupdated this on tuesday afternoon and it screwed me over.

I went to log in and the auto-update had changed my serial so it was no longer giving me valid auth codes and I couldn't remove it either. Thankfully i was going to see opening of HP7 so by the time I got hiome at 3am Blizz US was open and I could get them to change the codes for me, only took 2 minutes so pretty good, just sucked I lost about 6 hours play time while home from work ill.

Quote Originally Posted by Knytestorme View Post

I went to log in and the auto-update had changed my serial so it was no longer giving me valid auth codes and I couldn't remove it either. Thankfully i was going to see opening of HP7 so by the time I got hiome at 3am Blizz US was open and I could get them to change the codes for me, only took 2 minutes so pretty good, just sucked I lost about 6 hours play time while home from work ill.
    That sucks. The android version has never done that to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Svpernova09 View Post
    That sucks. The android version has never done that to me.
    Yeah, it wasn't too much of an inconvenience but I'd be def pissed if it happened on like a friday night before a long weekend holiday for example

Quote Originally Posted by Knytestorme View Post

The idea is you write down your serial and the new restore code and you can reset your authenticator yourself to the way it was before a problem. This is as important as having an authenticator for me. As important as having an OS backup. As important as having a DVR.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectronDF View Post
    The idea is you write down your serial and the new restore code and you can reset your authenticator yourself to the way it was before a problem. This is as important as having an authenticator for me. As important as having an OS backup. As important as having a DVR.
    Yes I know. The issue was the old version didn't have a restore code, thus when it auto-updated to the new version it also reset the serial and thus had no way of going back to the old serial with new serial giving codes that didn't match what WoW or the forums expected.

reading comprehension ftw

I guess I didn't see any words like "restore code" "restore" or anything to suggest that the older version didn't have a restore code, sorry. No harm meant.