Close
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 68

Default Multiboxing Hardware Science!

Instead of continue to derail the other thread where this topic began, I figured I would just open a new
    thread to keep things on track.

A quick recap:

I did some basic initial 10 boxing testing with some trial accounts during non-peak times:

People wanted to know more so I thought I would give them more! I jumped on last night during peak times
    and tweaked some video setting macros and this is what I whipped up:

YouTube description:
    All Windows @ 1920 x 1080 (Custom Video Settings)
    Using ISBoxer (Increased swap times due to my window swapping macro!)

2600K @ 4.6GHz [Venomous-X Cooler]
    EVGA GTX 580 3GB
    Intel 510 SSD

Finally got a chance to hit Stormwind at peak times with this 10 boxing test setup to see what I should be
    expecting performance-wise and to play around with my video settings to get tolerable FPS. I had to use
    FRAPS's DWM recording feature to capture the Windows Task Manager, GPU-Z, RealTemp, and ISBoxer's
    Video FX. The DWM recording feature adds a large amount of CPU processing overhead while in use so I
    decided to cap the recording to 30 FPS -- I felt this gave more accurate readings across the board instead of
    using 60FPS and having the FPS erratically jump around.

If you're considering 10 boxing World of Warcraft this was just an initial test to see where my hardware
    stood performance-wise. Actual PvP and PvE raiding may require additional tweaking or lower settings than a
    simple major city walk through and I obviously cannot test either of those at the moment... maybe one day.

Note: The big words "File Change" (in both videos) are for those who are curious where the FRAPS files split
    themselves. Some people experience frame rate dips during the file creation and I was trying to show all
    angles of performance here.

Both videos are recorded and rendered in a resolution of 1920x1080 and should be viewed at that
    resolution in full screen if you want to see everything that was happening.

This discussion is open to any and all that feel the need to ask any questions about 10 boxing or whatever.
    Sam was most interested in trying to decode certain things with VRAM and what-not but it'd be nice to see
    some 10 boxers post their specs and add to this.

This thread is not bound to World of Warcraft and anyone who has useful information on other
    games (i.e. RIFT, EQ, etc.) should feel free to post as well. I do ask that if you're going to post
    about hardware-related information that you at least provide some actual benchmarks
    (screenshots and/or video as I have done throughout this thread) pertaining to your system as
    opposed to just stating what you think you might be getting.

However, this thread is bound to legitimate game servers (i.e. no private servers). Anyone who
    posts any benchmarks or tests in this thread that come from private servers will have their posts
    deleted without warning. In addition to private servers being against the rules of discussion here
    on this message board, private servers can run modified, altered, or old patches of content or
    code which can easily skew any real and up-to-date information.

QUICK LINKS TO MORE TESTS THROUGHOUT THIS THREAD:

World of Warcraft Related:
    Orgrimmar Test
    2600K Hyper-Threading Test
    World of Warcraft SLI Test
    30 Boxing (Not In A Major City)
    20 Boxing - 2 Laps In Orgrimmar
    Last edited by Khatovar : 02-06-2012 at 04:01 AM Reason: Added Links & Updated Disclaimer - removed color=black in one part

Nice work!

Still, it's a pity you didn't buy a GPU with enough RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Alge View Post
    Nice work!

Still, it's a pity you didn't buy a GPU with enough RAM
    No kidding, I'm a sucker for good looking video settings though. I need one of these to perform further tests
    for comparison but I don't exactly want to drop $800 on a video card for a "test" and the built-in Crossfire will
    most likely hinder test results.

Pheh. Pop another 580 3GB in and rock on.
    Hardware Lurker

the 2nd video peektime on your realm?

Blog Entries

I like the video feed use.

Stormwind doesn't seem that busy, for a peak hours.
    I'm used to far more people crowding its streets.

Ten boxing is even neater than five boxing.
    EverQuest I: Bard / Enchanter / Druid / Wizard / 2x Magician.
    Diablo III: 4x Crusader & 4x Wizard.

My Guide to IS Boxer http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=26231 (somewhat dated).
    Streaming in 1080p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
    Twitter: @Ualaa

Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk View Post
    Pheh. Pop another 580 3GB in and rock on.
    I've never been able to use the second GPU's VRAM while attempting to split the load between cards. If
    someone has been successful in doing so I'd like to know (A GPU-Z screenshot would be great).

Quote Originally Posted by ebony View Post
    the 2nd video peektime on your realm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
    I like the video feed use.

Stormwind doesn't seem that busy, for a peak hours.
    I'm used to far more people crowding its streets.

Ten boxing is even neater than five boxing.
    The time in the video is 23:33 which would have been 21:33 server time so it could have been a bit
    "peakier" so to speak for a week day. Orgrimmar's population is much more concentrated compared to
    Stormwind's... perhaps I should have created a Horde team instead (I like my Human Females, though).
    Kil'jaeden is listed as "High" almost 24 hours a day and we have a very good H:A ratio compared to most of
    the High populated realms, although Horde does have more among their ranks.

It is funny you mention it, because when I went over towards The Canals I was going to head over to the
    second Auction House and see how many people were over there; but, I decided I didn't want to walk that
    far and put a transition in the video if the venture wasn't worth it.
    Last edited by MiRai : 06-09-2011 at 07:27 PM Reason: Forgot About Sajuuk!

Excellent. I am amazed that you can render 10 screens at the full resolution with a single gpu, although a very good one.

Clearly the 3G option is paying off as well.

Your switching is still a bit (not much though) worse then my alt/tab method but then again you can see all 10 of your characters whereas I can only see 6 of mine at a time (one per computer). But I can see in full screen and don't have to pip in and out to do things with those characters. But my system requires 6 1920X1200 monitors whereas yours only needs one or two.

Ya well I guess there isn't much more to be said, for 10 boxing the 580 3G is the best (and I don't think that duel gpu is going to help you that much in wow, nor will duel cards).

1 Box: 460 2G (might not get all effects though)
    5 Box: 6950 2G
    10 Box: 580 3G

As you can see with you superior equipment you did much better then me (but there are more people in Org):

Spin / Fly around Test (all about the same) Nvidia440 3GVideoRam 5 Clients (4 in background on lowest options); I play full screen 1920 X 1200.

5 Clients: Low Options: 13fps Ultra: 9fps

1 Client: Low Options: 27fps Ultra: 14fps (63/361 ms ping)

Spin / Fly Around / Stationary Test (all about the same) Nvidia460 1GVideoRam 5 Clients (4 in background on lowest options); I play full screen 1920 X 1200.

5 Clients: Low Options: 22fps Ultra: 14fps

1 Client: Low Options: 35fps Ultra: 19fps

Its fairly clear that going over 10 boxing on one computer isnt going to happen, as you were close to the 3G max as it is.

I notice that the GPU and Memory controller loads are relativly low, meaning it might be possible to get by with a bit weaker gpu (although we need to know if you were runniing full ultra in the main), if you can find one with 3G. And it does seem like the CPU is getting a real workout as well so maybe CPU needs be stonger then what I would have thought.
    Last edited by Sam DeathWalker : 06-10-2011 at 04:17 PM

28 BoXXoR RoXXoR Website
    28 Box SOLO Nalak 4m26s! Ilevel 522! GM 970 Member Guild! Multiboxing Since Mid 2001!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam DeathWalker View Post
    Excellent. I am amazed that you can render 10 screens at the full resolution with a single gpu, although a very good one.
    Too many people are giving me crap about peak times for the Alliance that night so I've decided that I'll create
    10 new Horde tonight and take them into Orgrimmar... this should be exciting.

Clearly the 3G option is paying off as well.
    I am definitely happy I went with the 3GB route.

Your switching is still a bit (not much though) worse then my alt/tab method
    I am going to do my best (depending on Orgrimmar lag) to adjust my settings accordingly to show a nice quick
    swap instead of that delayed one. It's mainly the Texture Resolution and Shadows that I will need to adjust.

Ok after spending the last couple of hours looking up video cards it seems there is little choice for 5 or 10 boxing.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...90,2879-7.html

1st; Discrete: GTX 580 Discrete: HD 5970

2nd: Discrete: GTX 295, GTX 480, GTX 570 Discrete: HD 4870 X2, HD 6970

3rd: Discrete: HD 4850 X2, HD 5870, HD 6950

Given that few are 2 or 3G (some are 1.5G but that seems insufficient) you choices are:

5 or 10 Box: 580 3G (5970 is a dual gpu card)

5 Box: 6970 2G or 6950 2G (or the more expensive and harder to find GV-R5876P-2GD may as well get the 580 3G instead of this)

1 Box or Budget: 460 2G

Here's the cheap (off brands) on the 580 3G $539:

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...tml?cid=123620

6950 2G $299:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HIS-ATI-Radeon-H...item415a184edc

$250

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123
    Last edited by Sam DeathWalker : 06-10-2011 at 10:02 PM

28 BoXXoR RoXXoR Website
    28 Box SOLO Nalak 4m26s! Ilevel 522! GM 970 Member Guild! Multiboxing Since Mid 2001!