Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 18

Default G15, x-keys, repeating keypress function

I just started programming my extra keys on my G15. I love how it has options to repeat while the key is pressed down.

I mapped my G1 key to a button that runs my castsequence macro for my basic totem setup. Strength of earth, windfury, mana regen, and wrath. I also added another button for my click_smartbuff macro. So the G1 key is programmed to "8 press down, 8 release, 9 press down, 9 release" I then set the key to repeat mode, where i press it and hold it to have it repeat and then release it to stop repeating.

In game it doesn't work that well. If i press it (g1), it'll hammer the 8 and 9 button like 1000 times per second. If i just stand there, it'll cycle through all the buffs and i'll release the button (g1) and it stops. When I have the button (g1) pressed down running the macro (hitting 8 and 9) i can barely do any other actions. If i try to mouse look the camera zips around and acts all weird and it's just difficult to control.

I was hoping I could get a hardware/software combo that could be programmed (just like the G15 and xkeys where you map a special key to like Alt+1) and also have a repeating function. I envisioned myself playing like this.

Hold the buff (G1) key while running off to my target to get buffs cycling,

Pull my target back. Release the (G1) button again to stop buffs

Hold my open fire (g2) button so it will repeat while I gain control of the adds with my warrior.

release the open fire (g2) button while i refocus targets.

oh shit, a patrol! Need to heal the warrior. Press my Heal Tank (g7) button so it spams heal while i control the fight.

release the (g7) heal tank button to stop healing once things are under control.

Press the AOE shit to death (g10) button to get the fight over with. Release all buttons (repeating keys) at the conclusion. Loot and move on.

I feel like this could work with the way the G15 operates, but i think it repeats the key press too quickly. Is there a way to adjust this frequency?

With x-keys, can i adjust the frequency of the repeat or are there even problems with holding down more than one repeatable key?

Is there other macro recording software available that could offer more control with the way keys are repeated? I'm willing to purchase other hardware / software options.

Button mashing was fun fo the first year and a half i played wow. Now my fingers and wrists are starting to get tired and I have to take more frequent breaks. I think this would go a long way to keep the fucntionality i'm looking for without worsening my repeatitive strain injury.

[edit] Completely removed any mention of the 'toggle' function while using the G15. It's derailing the topic.
    Absolute Power
    10 Boxing: Priest, Mage, Paladin x2, Warlock x2, Shaman x4
    Karazhan - 9 out of 11
    The Curator, Terestian Illhoof, Prince Malchezaar

What you describe is a form of botting, which means it's against the TOS/EULA for the game so I'd recommend you don't do it, being a bannable offense n' all that...

edit: of course if you really want to do it, the G15 software is more than capable of it, you just need to add in delays etc iirc.

XKeys cannot explicitly adjust key repeat speed. If you set the transmit frequency to slow though it is pretty slow (about 4-5 presses per second).

Pressing two repeating keys does not work on Xkeys. Xkeys can only play ONE macro at a time. Having two repeating macros play at the same time does not work.

You can chain two XKeys together and have each play a repeating macro and that will work.

Personally what I have done is buy two XKeys foot pedals and program one to repeat spam flash heal on tank and the other to repeat spam my "mage attack sequence macro". I did have to put these on a separate multiplexer because with two xkeys playing a repeating macro effectively saturated the PS2 connection (The keys from other XKeys Pros were not getting through with both auto macros playing).

Ziran

Not looking to add delays in the macro or to have software make decisions for me. I'm just looking to alleviate button mashing by holding in a key and have it repeatedly press. I'm pretty sure it's not against the TOS. I suppose i don't need the 'toggle' function. I could just hold the buttons down, but ziran confirmed my fears, you can't press two repeating keys at once with the x-keys.

What about the n52 or any other hardware devices? Anyway i could hold down two repeating keys without overloading anything and still have a nice response while playing?

Thanks so much for the reply Ziran, I've had my eyes on the xkey foot pedals for awhile now. If there are no other options i might pick'em up.
    Absolute Power
    Karazhan - 9 out of 11

If you use this in World of Warcraft on a live server, you will get your accounts banned.

Auto buffing and aoe'ing like you mention isn't possible in a legal way, you will have to press teh buttons yourself.

Sorry if you'r on about another game but seems to me it's WoW
    healatankadpsadin + 3 shamans + mage ... pwn

really? I had no clue using a repeat key was against the rules. Looks like my fingers won't get a break. ><

I thought using delays, movement, etc. were the only things against the tos; not using a turbo button like on a nintendo controller.

[edit] i just did some digging because i remember reading about the x-keys and the repeat button before on one of the forum guides. I had originally thought, damn, that'll be nice for my wrist and here's the post that mentions it:

Multiboxing Wiki - My 5 (Now 10!) Boxing WoW Writeup

"Any of the X-Keys can be programmed to repeat when held down and of course they can store macros and not just a single keypress or combination of key presses. Whatever you wind up getting, make sure they are PS/2 and NOT USB."
    "You can program the X-keys to repeat characters (spell casts, etc) - this greatly helps alleviate repetitive strain injury as you can just hold it down instead of mashing keys over and over. See the manual, linked above, for more details."

I don't know if Xzin uses the repeating key function, but if he does I guess he's not banned yet.
    Absolute Power
    Karazhan - 9 out of 11

If it's legal I'll be buying that x keyz pro thing ...

The big master said it yeah but it's strange though .. Can't automate anything, but if you use this function, it's all of a sudden legal ? WoW will still see keystroke imputs from 1 key, all with the exact time between them .. Atleast that's how it works, right. So some bells must be ringing at Blizz's

Or I juts have no idea what it means exactly...
    healatankadpsadin + 3 shamans + mage ... pwn

I've been using my n52 with a repeat while pressed macro for 2+ years. I don't think it's legal in the strictest sense of the WoW terms of service, however Blizzard doesn't seem to care (which I'm not suprised about). My first button just spams the 1 key like no tomorrow when I play my rogue, but then again 90% of rogues do that manually, so who's the wiser?

However, getting more in depth with long delays and several different keys in macros is a different end of the spectrum. I personally wouldn't try it, even to make an autobuff macro.

I too had no issues with repeating keys and WoW ToS/GMs. I have two foot pedals each programmed to spam a key then when released press another key once (stop casting macro). So it looks like this when you hold it for awhile then release:

Mind you there are no delays at all in the macro. It looks exactly as if you spammed the key by hand over and over about 4 presses a second.

I can use this as both my spam flash heal/attack castsequence macro or as stop casting since the key at the end is stop casting.

Ziran

Quote Originally Posted by 'Tehtsuo',index.php?page=Thread&postID=36813#post3 6813
    However, getting more in depth with long delays and several different keys in macros is a different end of the spectrum. I personally wouldn't try it, even to make an autobuff macro.
    Before 2.3.2 patch this kind of macro worked:

/castsequence [target=party1] Buffname,,,,
    /castsequence [target=party2] ,Buffname,,,
    /castsequence [target=party3] ,,Buffname,,

However since 2.3.2 multiple castsequence within one macro (even if they do not invoke GCD) no longer work. So no more one button autobuff.

I just programmed a couple of XKeys on a stick with buff macros and I just press the keys in sequence to get the buffs done. It is not that bad.

Ziran