Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 19

Default I suck at PvE - please help my shadow priests

Granted, my gear sucks, but I should have no problem running regular UK (yes, the level 70 instance) using my 80 druid and 4 79 shadow priests. The problem is my priests are running out of mana like crazy. I can do the whole instance without wiping, but I have to pretty much drink between every single pull, which kind of defeats one of the goals (to get gold before Cata).

Please help!

My priests (for armory gear):
    Thisuglyguy
    Thatuglyguy
    Whichuglyguy
    Otheruglyguy

My "tank":
    I think it's the Owltoid where the i is the left slash hash mark (alt-141)

A typical group of trash mobs goes like this:
    Run in with the druid, and basically spam swipe the whole time (yea, this needs to be improved, but focusing on the SP right now)
    After a couple seconds of aggro, the SP all cast renew on the tank
    Cast sequence for the mobs is SW: Pain, Vampiric Touch, Mind Blast, Mind Flay, Mind Flay, Mind Flay (mob is usually dead)
    If the shit hits the fan, then I holy nova or shield themselves as needed.

I typically stay out of shadowform, but if it's going to help that much then I can go into it. Typically that one round of renews is enough to keep the tank alive with the passive shadow healing.

My gear is god awful, I mean really bad. I haven't looked at my druid's tanking gear, but I bought it basically just to boost. My priests gear is mainly quest gear (up to level 75 or so) but focused on being holy/disc build (my original plan before the beta changes).

Why am I running out of mana so easily? Is it just a function of gear and I need to put up with it until I upgrade?

The other goal of doing this team is to get practice so I can hit the ground running in the expansion. I'm not looking to gear these toons out, and I have very little gold so AH boosting isn't a big option unless it will help a ton.
    Last edited by Owltoid : 08-26-2010 at 11:39 AM
    Owltoid, Thatblueguy, Thisblueguy, Otherblueguy, Whichblueguy

The minimum lvl for UK is 65, how are you running it with 4x 49th lvl priests?

heh, oops, 4 79 (I know, sad).

I'll change the original post.

But as far as your rotation... on my SP I never cast SW:P on trash. I go back and forth between Vamp Touch -> Mind Blast -> Mind Flay spam or just Mind Blast -> Mind Flay spam depending on if I feel like proccing replenishment. When you get better gear/more mana and the mind sear spell, it trumps mind flay for packs of trash.

You should also stay in Shadowform. More dmg = stuff dies fast = less mana used...

Also one of your priests should probably be a dedicated healer (i.e. not SP)

I'm only doing like 550-600 DPS... something is seriously wrong. I'm going to try staying in Shadowform, but on mobs that are so much lower level I would think that even in caster form they would be dying quickly.

when you get Mind Sear your dps will go up pretty good.... its the mind flay aoe.

the Shadow Glyph helps pretty well too. Its the one that gives like 15% of your spirit as spellpower after a mindblast crit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehmuffinman View Post
    But as far as your rotation... on my SP I never cast SW:P on trash. I go back and forth between Vamp Touch -> Mind Blast -> Mind Flay spam or just Mind Blast -> Mind Flay spam depending on if I feel like proccing replenishment. When you get better gear/more mana and the mind sear spell, it trumps mind flay for packs of trash.
    I'll give the mind blast/mind flay rotation a shot. It seems like my SW: Pain gets a full cycle (my DPS is that bad) but I'll try to watch more closely to see if the mob is dying too soon.

I don't have access to armory at work but are your spells missing alot? It could be a spell hit thing. I would think that you can just basically spam Mind Sear (you get it at level 75?). If you can target multiple different mobs it would spread the mind sear out (since it doesnt damage its target) and cause tons of damage to all the mobs

My advice is not going to help much as I have not played a priest past 70. But I was never impressed with shadow. (its been a while) But Channeling mind flay and waiting for Mind blast cool downs while trying to stack the shadow dmg debuff to me was lame. I used Holy Moon Fire and smite. AOE I just glyped holy nova and went to town with the no threat and the reflecto damage shield ftw.