Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 17

Default Vyndree's Guide to Guides

Ellay edit* the old link broke, just copy/pasted.

Vyndree's Guide to Guides:

Q: What is Multiboxing?
    A: In short, a multiboxer plays several characters at the same time. There can be several kinds of multiboxers, from dual-boxers or 2-boxers to 5-boxers (sometimes called "quinboxing") to 40+-boxers. The number is only limited to the amount of processing power you have in your computer(s), and your own brain's ability to multitask and macro?.

Q: Macro? Isn't that against the rules?
    A: Of course not, silly! Macroing can be done by anyone, even non-multiboxers, and is built within the WoW interface. You can access your macros by typing "/macro?".

Q: What can a macro do that a normal button pusher can't?
    A: Absolutely nothing.

However, macros are useful for binding multiple actions into a fluid keypress, such as trinket+AP+PoM+Pyro (otherwise known as the "I Win" button)

Q: What do multiboxers use macros for?
    A: Multiboxers will use macros for almost EVERYTHING. For example, each spell cast the a multiboxer makes will have to be targeted. A very simple macro would have to be implemented for each DPS spell a multiboxer wanted to use.

For example:

/assist Vyndree
    /cast Lightning Bolt

This also needs to be done for healing. As you can probably tell, we very quickly run out of buttons and usually fill up every single macro spot with different spells.

Multiboxers also use macros for movement. Unfortunately, you cannot put movement into a macro like you can use your "wasd" or arrow keys. Therefore, multiboxers use the in-game /follow

Q: So what do you DO with your 2/3/4/5+ characters? Do you have no life?
    A: On the contrary, most multiboxers have very fulfilling real lives. Most of them hold steady jobs, which is why they don't consider the extra account costs/hardware costs excessive.

From what I've come across, the majoriy of multiboxers don't see much of a challenge in the solo game, or even the raid game for that matter. WoW isn't exactly rocket science. In order to spark a little interest in the game again, they put challenges in front of themselves to make gameplay more interesting. It's not just multiboxers who do this. Like the naked troll project, or Noor the pacifist.

Q: Hey... you seem like a powerleveler to me. How much are you making off selling those characters?
    A: > >Already ahead of you, buddy.

In short, the "profit" a multiboxer would make from breaking the rules — IF they manage to not get banned in the process — is less than half of the american federal minimum wage.

Q: Ok, fine. You're not selling your characters. So what are you, a bot?
    A: Multiboxers are typically offended when being confronted with such a nefarious accusation. However, since you're new, I'll let it slide.

All of the abilities a multiboxer can do are built right into the WoW game. No actions are automated, and everything that each character is doing can be traced back to an action made by the player.

Q: Then how can you be all synchronized? I mean, there's no gap in time for you to alt-tab between windows?
    A: That's because we use this thing called a "keyboard multiplexer Sometimes it's an emulated, in the case of software? multibox solutions. Sometimes it's fancy hardware?.

Now, there are many ways to do this, but in the simplest form, envision syncing a single wireless keyboard to multiple wireless keyboard receivers. When you press a button on the keyboard, it will be sent to all computers at the same time.

Q: You said software! BOT BOT BOT!
    A: Not all multiboxers need to use software. Typically the type of software used has no functionality outside of emulating a hardware keyboard multiplexer. The use of any software OR hardware to automate gameplay is against the Terms of Use.

In any case, using software keyboard emulators is an acceptable practice as long as no behaviors are automated.

Q: Well I still think it's cheating. I mean, that person in arenas is unkillable!
    A: Of course Ellay is killable! Would you make a PvP video with anything other than lucky crits, or would you fill it with all those times you got steamrolled? Multiboxing in competitive arenas is actually harder than what a normal group would run into. Coordination on spike-teams, similar to guild wars, where everything is measured and prepared prior to battle — even server latency — to ensure the exact moment of a spike... Sure, Multiboxers have that small little benefit. But movement, positioning, CC'ing multiple targets, managing cooldowns... there are several weak areas for every strong area in Multiboxing.

Multiboxing is not done because it's "easysauce". It's done because it's challenging. Ellay is very skilled, and that is the reason why he wins.

Q: OMG, nerf! You know how much money you can get just from dailies! So unfair!
    A: This is true, but I also have 5 times the repair bill, 5 times the mount/training costs, and 5 times the people to gear up. If you look at each character, they would earn the exact same as each one of your characters.

Sadly, we cannot have our cake and eat it too.

Q: Omg mai keyclone it duz nt wurks!11!
    A: I personally use a hardware multiboxing solution and have never touched Keyclone Read the Keyclone FAQ and contact him if you still have issues.
    Q: Still, this has GOT to be against the rules... A: Quoting Anncoxstrong from the WoW forums:

Q u o t e:
    "Multi-boxing is not a violation of the Terms of Use, Sincast. On the contrary, it's a fairly common practice and extremely fun to watch. "

Syndri, Customer Service Member
    " wcf_href="http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=2856144935&postId=29491813990& sid=1#16" >http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...13990&sid=1#16

Q u o t e:
    "Badkarma, we do not stop players from owning and playing multiple accounts...There are all manner of ways to use two accounts that are not outside of our in-game policies and legal documents..."

Berghe, Customer Service Member
    " wcf_href="https://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=77594054&postId=776776019#1" >https://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/t...Id=776776019#1

Q u o t e:
    "We do not prevent people from owning multiple accounts, nor playing those accounts simultaneously as long as they abide by our Terms of Use and EULA."

Vrakthris, Customer Service Member
    " wcf_href="http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=3168405460&pageNo=1&sid=1#9" >http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...geNo=1&sid=1#9

Q u o t e:
    "multi-boxing,..., it's not considered a violation of policy."
    "It is viewed simply as a clever, yet tedious play style, but not altogether counterintuitive to the spirit of the game"

Syndri, Customer Service Member
    " wcf_href="http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=3159886078&postId=31680816892& sid=1#8" >http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...816892&sid=1#8

For a more complete list of GM conversations and links, see Dual-boxing.com's wiki
    TBC/Wrath Multiboxer: Velath / Velani / Velathi / Velatti / Velavi / Velarie [Archimonde (US-PvP)]

Very nice. I like your layout. It's very easy to navigate and read.

If people can't figure this stuff out with the amount of work you guys have done, then I don't know what will help them.

can i has lunch

Main - Lootdrone lvl70 Mage Bloodscalp 5box - Tioget, Tiodrone, Tioluv, Tiogriz, Tiobuzz q9450 - 4gb ram - 8800gt 512 - 400gb hd - 500gb hd

Thank you very much!

gonna add this page to favorites

That's awesome! :thumbsup:

Would probably be helpful to add a button to the top of the forum: [Portal][Forum][Members][Keyclone][Chat][Wiki][Gallery][Help][Are you New] (or something like that)
    [align=center]5-boxing - Paladin, Shaman, 3x Mages[/align]
    WC-20,VC-25,SFK-25,BFD-27,Stk-27,RFK-29,Gnm-31,SM (G-32,L-34,A-35,C-36),RFD-41,ULD-42,ZF-46,Mar(O-47, P-48, I-48],ST-52,BRD-54,62,LBRS-62,Strt-63,DM-63,Paly Mt Qt-63, Schl-63
    HR-63,BF-64,SP-64(2/3)68(3/3),UB-68,MT-67,AC-0/2,Seth-1/2,SH-1/4

Amazing Work, simply amazing!

The only thing I would think of adding (as you said you would continue to add) maybe some FAQS stuff about Xkeys. I would personally love that hehe. I have been looking over every possible thread and idea for Xkeys, and to have a compact version of those threads, would be amazing!

Once again great job!
    Pink Sugar Heart Attack: http://wowboxed.com [Please Note, This is My Blog, Not The Guilds]
    Currently: Level 20
    Questing In: Bloodmyst Isle

I think few things needed to be added, like:
    "How to set up KeyBIndings?" --I know for some it obvious, but I have even seen people that don't know where is RAID tab in kara pug :(

"How can I switch and/or assist my MAIN?" --I personally think this need more examples, because examples that exists are too scattered around this forum...

I also seen few like "how do I play on one PC and Two monitors? all I have seen is two or more PCs" because most of them are general in context,
    but if you make more specific it lost in see of forums,
    and if you put too much detailed info one page person won't read all of it,
    and mostly skip most of it if not all.

But after all this Guide is really good and easy to navigate, good Job on it, Vyndree d(^-^d)

PS: Oatboat, your avatar is graphically too explicit for my tastes... what I mean... well... you see... could you please change it?

Quote Originally Posted by 'neux',index.php?page=Thread&postID=73788#post7378 8
    I think few things needed to be added, like:
    "How to set up KeyBIndings?" --I know for some it obvious, but I have even seen people that don't know where is RAID tab in kara pug

"How can I switch and/or assist my MAIN?" --I personally think this need more examples, because examples that exists are too scattered around this forum...
    Updated with feedback -- dug up Suvega's brain dump thread and added that content into the guide as well. :thumbsup:
    TBC/Wrath Multiboxer: Velath / Velani / Velathi / Velatti / Velavi / Velarie [Archimonde (US-PvP)]

New_user003 "Could you record the whole thing to audio and possibly click the link for me?"

Just playing Devil's advocate :P ... great job!
    Everquest II - <Pain for Glory> on Nektulos Server
    (Shadowknight: Uhmono| Inquisitor: Blyssia | Warden: Wysh | Defiler: Gahealju | Troubador: Moxia | Warlock: Phyrloc) X 51
    (Guardian: Tukilu | Templar: Ajechu | Warden: Fayanna | Conjuror: Akaesia | Troubador: Lollah | Warlock: Onona) X 27-ish[/align]

Added a list of guides from both the wiki and forums on the wiki: http://www.dual-boxing.com/wiki/index.php/Guides