Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 26

Default Castsequence macros are full of holes!

For a while I have been using the following macro for my destro lock:

Code:
    /castsequence reset=10,target immolate,,incinerate,,incinerate,,incinerate,,incinerate,,conflagrate,
    /cast chaos bolt
    /stopmacro [target=pettarget,exists]
    /petattack
    The idea behind the double commas in the castsequence is for it to try to cast chaos bolt at every opportunity, and move on if the cooldown wasn't ready. After observing some odd behavior, I decided to try the following macro:

Code:
    /castsequence reset=10,target immolate,incinerate,incinerate,incinerate,incinerate,conflagrate
    /cast chaos bolt
    /stopmacro [target=pettarget,exists]
    /petattack
    Notice that in the second macro, the double commas have been removed. Remarkably, the second macro showed the exact same behavior as the first macro. You wouldn't expect it to, but the second macro attempts to cast chaos bolt at every opportunity, but casts spells from the castsequence if chaos bolt is still on cooldown.
    Firetree, Alliance.

Adiabat (Prot Pally), Isochor (Holy Priest), Isobar (Frostfire Mage) <Retired at 80 during WotLK>

Corpsebréw, Corpsebrèw, Corpsebrêw (3x Death Knight) <Retired at 80 during WotLK>

Femtotank (Prot Warrior), Femtoheals (Disc Priest), Femtosummons (Demo Lock) <Active, 105>

yes thats why you use click macros, with castsequence i could barely break 5k dps, switching to click gives me results like this:
    http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7...0109014442.jpg

btw. I just included my lock in my team few days ago, so shes still a bit under geared.
    <Impervious>stormreaver PvP US

My Videos

If the results differ from your expectations, perhaps your initial model of how it works is in error.
    Someguy: "You must really like playing with yourself"
    Me: "OH HELLS YEAH!"

Quote Originally Posted by mmcookies View Post
    If the results differ from your expectations, perhaps your initial model of how it works is in error.
    Would you care to explain how it works then?
    Firetree, Alliance.

Adiabat (Prot Pally), Isochor (Holy Priest), Isobar (Frostfire Mage) <Retired at 80 during WotLK>

Corpsebréw, Corpsebrèw, Corpsebrêw (3x Death Knight) <Retired at 80 during WotLK>

Femtotank (Prot Warrior), Femtoheals (Disc Priest), Femtosummons (Demo Lock) <Active, 105>

No, I don't want to get it nerfed.
    Someguy: "You must really like playing with yourself"
    Me: "OH HELLS YEAH!"

Your first macro is how you would expect it to work. Your second macro works due to the same issue that normally makes you lose dps when you use a castsequence. The castsequence waits with casting the next spell until your client thinks it has finished casting the previous spell. While the castsequence is waiting for the previous spell cast to finish, it doesn't trigger the global cooldown and the macro falls through to the next command. Due to lag the server normally finishes casting the previous spell a 100-200ms earlier then the client expects it to be cast. This creates a small time frame during which the fall through spell can be cast.

Note that this fall through casting trick depends on both your lag, haste rating and the cast time of the spells used. Spells that have a casting time that matches or is close to the global cooldown, can prevent this trick from working.

This is not news. If you want macros that work the way you're trying to get this one to work, learn how to craft good /click macros.
    Blog : Herding Khats
    Team : Kina - Çroaker - Messkit - Lìfetaker - Wìdowmaker
    Newbie Guides : Multiboxing Vol. 1 - Multiboxing Vol. 2 - HotKeyNet - Jamba
    The Almighty Lax made a liar out of me, apparently I DO get prizes for it.
    *Commences Wielding the Banhammer like there's piñatas up in here and I'm Lady Thor*

_ Forum search letting you down? Use the custom Google search _

Quote Originally Posted by Khatovar View Post
    This is not news. If you want macros that work the way you're trying to get this one to work, learn how to craft good /click macros.
    It is my understanding /click in itself makes no difference for dps. Instead, the trick is transitioning from a "/castsequence x, y, z" setup to a "/castsequence x,,,,,,, /castsequence y,,,, /castsequence z,,,,,,,,,,,," setup. Click simply gets around the trouble with the 255 character limit in native macros (as well as some possible organizational perks by modularization).

If there is a dps difference between putting all the castsequences in the same macro (using an addon) instead of having them /clicked, I would love to know so I can improve my own setup.

Blog Entries

Well... learning to craft Click macro's, is essentially saying - learn to create multiple cast sequence macro's with proper timing.

Click let's you weave all the abilities you'd want to use, into a single button spam.