KC,

So IT work is something I have looked at for a bit and would like some suggestions since your in the field. I will list my current qualifications and if you could tell me any weak areas I could beef up a bit to at least get me into a decent entry job.

Navy Fire control technician (Weapon systems, torpedoes ,tomahawks and LAN Networks basically) anything associated with them other then construction. Apprenticeship from the DOL in Computer and peripheral equipment operations. As far as schooling goes related to IT. AA: Applied Electronics Technology , Multiple Navy LAN Admin schools. Able to maintain just about clearance required, and SSBI investigation was only 1 year ago.

Im slightly confused towards the paths I should go, certs or degree? I think it’s kind of hard to do both in my current work areas. If certs which ones first? Currently, Im studying for the SEC+ and should be taking it in the next month.

So my questions are, with my current qualifications... do I qualify for decent jobs? What type of work would I be looking at, hours and pay ect? If you can just answer this for the most part from your experience, I don't want you to waste resources crawling the net and making phone calls I'm mostly just looking for ideas and ballpark figures, along with guidance.