Close
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Showing results 31 to 36 of 36

KC,

So IT work is something I have looked at for a bit and would like some suggestions since your in the field. I will list my current qualifications and if you could tell me any weak areas I could beef up a bit to at least get me into a decent entry job.

Navy Fire control technician (Weapon systems, torpedoes ,tomahawks and LAN Networks basically) anything associated with them other then construction. Apprenticeship from the DOL in Computer and peripheral equipment operations. As far as schooling goes related to IT. AA: Applied Electronics Technology , Multiple Navy LAN Admin schools. Able to maintain just about clearance required, and SSBI investigation was only 1 year ago.

Im slightly confused towards the paths I should go, certs or degree? I think it’s kind of hard to do both in my current work areas. If certs which ones first? Currently, Im studying for the SEC+ and should be taking it in the next month.

So my questions are, with my current qualifications... do I qualify for decent jobs? What type of work would I be looking at, hours and pay ect? If you can just answer this for the most part from your experience, I don't want you to waste resources crawling the net and making phone calls I'm mostly just looking for ideas and ballpark figures, along with guidance.
    Orbzz, Orbzm, Orbzem,Iceorbs SHM - Lvl 80 Hyjal PvE
    Örbz, Örbs, Õrbz & Õrbs 80 Ret Paladin Team Hyjal

Shaman FTL Setup -
    http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=23141

@Iceorbz
    (my folks were stationed with the Navy in HI for a bit... :thumbsup

at first glance, i would say it depends on what you want to do. determine if you want to be an operator/technican or a developer. if you like to create new things, i'd suggest going down the developer road, which would mean a BS degree or more. if you like to plug things together and get it all working smooth, then technican... which would point towards certs. technican would take less time, but that relates directly to how much you can ask. (less time == more people will do it == higher workforce supply == lower wages)

with pre-existing clearances, that gives you a leg up... many companies/agencies are looking for people that can do the work immediately, and do not have to wait for the clearances to come in. they are also looking to reduce costs, and there are costs associated with getting the various clearances. so... you want to maintain those, while bumping up your skill set to something more defense companies (ie: northrup, saic, booz allen, etc..) would need, thereby driving up your rates.

also, while you are in, you should push for any leadership training you can get. this would tie directly into management when you get out (which means more $$)

as for actual rates.. tough call (realrates.com use to be a good site, but the number of submitted rates has dropped radically). depends on where you are located, responsibilities, contract vs full-time, requirements and the target company. as rates go up, the number of positions available at those rates decrease, increasing the difficulty in finding an open position. (this does not include the scenario where you would be replacing someone already in a position... thereby 'upgrading' their slot with your skills). the best way to find the rate for an area/job that fits your skills would be to watch the job sites and newspapers to see what they are posting. you don't have to offer yourself up at those rates, but it gives you a ballpark.

i hope that helps.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by 'zanthor',index.php?page=Thread&postID=214536#post 214536
    You don't have to list every job, but when a company does a background check and finds you've worked jobs that you didn't list it could be a liability. I realize we have a very diverse demographic here, but for at least some of us, the McJob is a McLiability for sure. That and I still haven't heard a good reason to take a paycut for working when you can maintain a higher income by full time job searching...
    Indeed it can be. Many companies will do background or even credit checks which will show them your current and/or recent employers. Might not be a big deal with some, but others it definitely can be.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Effex',index.php?page=Thread&postID=214400#post21 4400

Quote Originally Posted by 'keyclone',index.php?page=Thread&postID=214367#pos t214367
    it would probably be a bit tough, prolly requiring a visa, but i can check.
    no need atm! just had a call and it looks like Ive just landed myself a new contract. quite a nice one too. 1 days rate will pay for 10 wow subs for a year
    I must say that IS a nice contract. Math says 10 yearly subs is 20 six month subs at $77.94 each. Assuming an 8 hour day, that comes to $195/hr. Even short term consulting gigs revamping whole software development teams and training them in effective project management and software development methodologies, saving these companies a ton of expense short and long term, I've rarely seen a contract rate over $150/hr. You definitely have my curiousity piqued. What sort of contracting do you do at $195/hr?

I may be able to help some people in the London area looking for junior IT positions. PM me if interested.
    Wilbur