Close
Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Default Need Help: Windows 7 RC1 Dual-Boxing w/ Keyclone - Primary Client Crashing Randomly!

Hey there! I've been dual-boxing for about 7 months now on a Windows XP machine. Recently installed Windows 7 RC1 (7100) in a dual-boot setup to test how well WoW ran under the new OS. In just a few days, I've been pleasantly surprised by it's performance...even going so far as to say that it runs *FASTER* in Windows 7 than my setup did in XP.

Nevertheless, I've run into my first problem and wanted to know if anyone else has run into the same issue:
    I currently run Keyclone (v1.9g) to run two accounts on the same computer. I run two clients out of two directories in order to easily control addons and config.wtf info. My PRIMARY client runs at nearly full graphical settings (the notch below ULTRA) with audio. My SECONDARY client runs at the NEXT to lowest setting (one notch above the lowest) with NO audio.

Here's my problem, I can quest and fight just fine...but whenever I take a flight path (only tested in Northrend), my primary client freezes and then proceeds to crash to desktop. No error message and nothing in the logs (system or WoW). This normally happens when zoning into an area within Northrend. My secondary client, however, runs just fine and has yet to crash (with about two days of play test time).

I've already tried to turn off the audio on my primary client to see if that was the issue to no avail...the client will still crash in the middle of a flight path. I'm about to test all of the different graphical settings, but was hoping that someone here may be able to lend me some suggestions?

Just for information sake, here are my hardware highlights:
    - Windows 7 RC1 (7100) in a dual-boot with XP
    - 4GB RAM
    - Intel Pentium 2180 oc'd to 2.75GHz
    - nVidia 8800GT 512MB PCI-E Video Card

Also, everything above is stock drivers with Windows 7 RC1...which could be my FIRST mistake.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: So after installing the latest nVidia drivers, I went to test an FP while dual-boxing and ran into the same problem. The primary client crashes while the secondary client is stable as ever (however, now I'm beginning to see artifacting on the secondary client so I just might go back to the default Windows 7 Drivers). In either case, I ended up pulling the graphic settings on my primary to medium, or medium-low (I want to say two notches from the lowest setting) and thus far, I've been crash free including FPs. My rough estimate is that something in the Ultra or High graphics settings is causing the Primary client to hang when loading details for a new zone. When I feel like tweaking things, I'll go back and start tinkering with the individual graphic settings to find out what the source of the problem is.

EDIT: Well, I think I've found a way to correct the issue. Disable Desktop Composition (i.e. Aero effects). Since I like the pretty graphics, I've turned everything back up to Ultra (minus the shadows) and everything has been hunky-dory since I turned off the Aero effects. Windows 7 makes it pretty easy to do so...you can have it disabled ONLY when you're playing wow. Hope this helps someone else.
    [0.........10.........20........30.........40...... ...50.........60..........70......77..80]
    Dual-Boxing Winterhoof Horde: Unholy Death Knight - Resto/Elemental Shaman

Just for your information, this has happened outside of dual boxing as well, alot of people in my guild have complaing about client crashes to the desktop when taking fp's.

Yeah, I've read about that on the WoW forums as well. I've updated my original post to include further details.
    [0.........10.........20........30.........40...... ...50.........60..........70......77..80]
    Dual-Boxing Winterhoof Horde: Unholy Death Knight - Resto/Elemental Shaman