Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 30

Default Camera Distance Modification - Zoom WAY out

Improved Camera 2

http://wow-en.curse-gaming.com/downloads/details/5098/

Thought I would post this in case anybody was interested. It allows you to zoom out much farther than the default UI does - and no need to change config.wtf files around. The benefits for multiboxing should be self apparant

You don't have to zoom out THIS far but it shows how far you can go with the client without actually hacking the program or any other such naughtiness.

HOWTO bypass the 50 limit:

As previously stated, the 50 limit is hardcoded into WoW and you cannot zoom out further within the game itself. Rewad gave instructions on how to bypass the limit by editing the camera-settings.txt file, but the problem with this is that when you try to zoom out further with the mousewheel, the distance switches immediately back down to 50 and you have to relog and re-edit the file again. There is a better way, however.

WoW has 4 camera presets which you can set/load and save using key bindings within the game. These settings are stored in Config.wtf - the first file in your WTF folder...

Make sure WoW is fully shut down then edit the Config.wtf file with your favourite text editor (I used PFE - http://www.lancs.ac.uk/staff/steveb/cpaap/pfe/ - as it supports Unix text format and extracts as a standalone .exe). Add the following line to the end:

SET cameraDistanceD "250"

This sets the 5th (D) camera preset to a massive distance of 250 units. You can also add/edit the pitch and yaw with, for example, SET cameraPitchD "15" and SET cameraYawD "0".

Change the last letter to A for preset #2, B for #3, C for #4, D for #5. (Preset #1 doesn't have a save key binding for some reason but the setting is probably stored in SET cameraDistance - without the letter. I don't think there is a yaw/pitch variable though.)

Save the file and fire up WoW. You can now cycle between your new camera presets with the (default) Home and End keys, or you can bind your own keys for each preset if you wish.
    Quick testing reveals that around 40 is going to be the max you are going to want. Maybe even 30 (default max) or 35. 50 is just too far zoomed out to see what is going on 250 as you can see in the above picture is just stupid

Keep in mind that these numbers are WoW yards. An average AoE spell hits 10 yards (5 in each direction).

I saw this a good while ago, but I needed it now, tested it and it works fine.
    Thank you!
    Captn's Log [PvP] 5x80 Elemental Shaman

lol Xzin you should make screenshot with far camera and your 10-box so it will look like... warcraft3? :P
    Coffee Resurrects.

god damn thats hot..

will definately be hooking this one when i get home tonight. will take a while to get used to the viewpoint, but being able to see targets in every distance and not just in the standard field of vision infront of your character will be a massive advantage.

thanks again xzin ^

You can't see targets beyond the normal range (with some exceptions). So if you could see something in the distance before you'll still be able to see it. If you couldn't you won't now.

If you keep your draw distance low for FPS then at furthest zoom all you can see in most zones is fog.

That all said its invaluable for keeping an eye out for that damn stealth Fel Reaver in HFP... how anything that big can sneak up on me I'll never know.

Once you have the keys mapped you can it seems zoom in and out even at those big distances, or I can... but then I seem to have broken the auto follow mode for my camera too.

Does anyone know how to access these values from a script/macro? Would be nice to make a scroll bar that sets distance.
    Currently running 3x City of Heroes under Octopus

FYI, the camera settings in config.wtf mentioned above work without this mod, in case anyone was wondering.

[edit] Wow, this stuff is the bomb. Add this to your targeted AoE macro (or your follow macro):

/script SetView("2");

Replace 2 with whichever you like for your default.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

In case others wanna give this a shot, here's what I put at the end of my config.wtf:

SET cameraPitchD "65"
    SET cameraYawD "0"
    SET cameraDistanceC "50"
    SET cameraPitchC "45"
    SET cameraYawC "0"
    SET cameraDistanceB "30"
    SET cameraPitchB "30"
    SET cameraYawB "0"
    SET cameraDistanceA "15"
    SET cameraPitchA "30"
    SET cameraYawA "0"

The 250 one is for when I wanna be silly.

This is the first video I made (Dec 2005). I used ImprovedCamera and changed settings while recording to pan the camera.

http://katharsi.com/video/feathermoon-base.wmv 28mb

Quote Originally Posted by Ughmahedhurtz View Post
    In case others wanna give this a shot, here's what I put at the end of my config.wtf:

SET cameraPitchD "65"
    SET cameraYawD "0"
    SET cameraDistanceC "50"
    SET cameraPitchC "45"
    SET cameraYawC "0"
    SET cameraDistanceB "30"
    SET cameraPitchB "30"
    SET cameraYawB "0"
    SET cameraDistanceA "15"
    SET cameraPitchA "30"
    SET cameraYawA "0"
    SET cameraDistanceMax "250"

The 250 one is for when I wanna be silly.
    Necro!

These settings now go in c:\games\wow\WTF\account\<accountname>\<servername >\<charactername>\config-cache.wtf
    [edit] Correction: goes in c:\games\wow\WTF\account\<accountname>\config-cache.wtf
    Last edited by Ughmahedhurtz : 04-18-2012 at 12:18 AM