Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 26

Default going from 2 to 5, need advice

Here is my setup. Since launch I have been dual boxing the easy way. I have a mac dual G5 (main machine) and a macbook pro that sits on my left. So far I have powerleveled several characters for fun running them through instances.

But after seeing Xzin and Xbox videos I need to move to 5 box. Now the tricky part is that I already have two macs. Should I get 4 super cheap pcs and control them all from the main mac or should I just gete 4 cheap macs and find a hardware/software solution to use one keyboard/mouse.

Sorry for the noob question but my dual-boxing has been fairly simple so far but since I have disposable income I am really thinking about giving a 5 shamans or 1 priest + 4 felguard locks a try.

Please feel free to give pointers and what you recommend. There seems to be a lot of hardware/software available for PCs but not so sure about macs. I was even thinking about getting 4 mac minis and have one wireless keyboard/mouse combo...would that work?

Comments appreciated

Mac Mini's have crap GPU's so It wouldn't be advisable.

You can run a 5 box off of a single Computer, Quad Core, few gigs of RAM and some Decent GPU cards.

To be honest, the computer setup should be what you feel happiest using, taking into account space, costs, etc. Its true there isn't as much software developed for Macs, So depending on the type of setup you want, it may be beneficial to use PCs.
    Wilbur

Default Re: going from 2 to 5, need advice

Quote Originally Posted by Mons
    So far I have powerleveled several characters for fun running them through instances.
    Slightly OT, but how much XP do you get for this? I'm grinding another priest to 10 (ugh) on my trial account, just so I can give it a whirl in deadmines. I'm hoping its worth all the effort :twisted:

(yes I know its not much 'effort' leveling to 10 :lol: )

At the moment I have a 70 lock with felguard clearing SM in 15 mins and getting about 50 or 60 Xp per kill i think on a level 22 paly. 3 to 4 clears makes a level.

As far as my next setup I prefer to have dedicated boxes instead of running one machine with 5 clients because I don't know on the mac how to send keystrokes to the other clients when they are the background...yet. I was hoping people here would know.

But as far as the mac minis go, does it matter if the individual clients don t have high resolution graphics since they are all on follow?

My goal is to reproduce what Xzin was doing with his '10 movements' video and then experience the 5 shamans clear of a 5 man group instance. As far as XP, how much more do you get from having 3 people in your group? Does anyone know? is is int eh 10% or more like 30% because in that case getting a third box is really worth the extra Xp. I need to dig more into these forums, I am sure everything is already in there the more I look

one thing to remember about Xzin's '10 movements', which was very cool, was that in order to have such in-sync motions and be able to record it, you need to have very, very low latency to the server. i would guess he normally has 10-40ms pings. after that, keeping them together is a function of action-to-input latency... which in his case is identical between all machines (since he is splitting signals... as far as i know)

as for your question... you could go buy 2 cheap pcs, test them out with trial accounts and split screens using wow maximizer... and if you just can't stand windows.. return them for an apple replacement.

keep in mind, you are in the game not the OS... the choice of OS should not really enter the picture (unless you want to software broadcast the keys... which i don't think exists for macs)

I think I will do just that, get 2 base PCs and that square backlighted keys controller Xzin mentioned (the one with the custom printed icons) and have the pcs mouse/keyboards linked together and use that keys controller for controlling the 4 PCs and see how it goes. I ll probably keep the dual G5 as my main since the keystrokes broadcasted don;t need to come from the main machine...I think.

I am so psyched about all this and really can not wait to blow some cash on my setup and get noobs go 'WTF!' just that alone would be worth it. I want to thank Xzin and Xbox for showing the path to beating boring questing and awful levelling times.

But my main goal is way in the future, I am thinking of the open pvp area in WotlK and have 4 death knights and a 80 priest or just 5 locks or 5 shamans like xbox's...we will see how that goes. If all goes well I will star posting my setup in less than a month and keep a blog somehwere.

You may find this useful on what your looking at for costs.
    http://bradster.net/forum/index.php?topic=9.0
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP9...AlyRcyYCHA-3ew
    Due to Blizzards position on Hong Kong, money > freedom. I stopped playing.

How much larger do the power bills get? Dualboxing wasn't that much of an impact for me I think.

Hey Mons,

I can't believe I missed this post. I just posted my mac summary, so in effort not to repeat myself, let me just say this about this mac + pc clones idea..

I've decided to go that way myself (at Morganti's urging) and so soon I'll be able to post how the mix works (tomorrow according to FedEx ). Anyway, the new mac version of synergy can do keybroadcasting across multiple macs and it's really smooth. In two days, I should be able to tell you whether it'll keybroadcast from macs to pcs. Of course, there's always the vetra as praised at length on these forums.

I hope this helps.

"Are you guys brothers?"

5 Tauren Doomkin Druids - Charlestown Chiefs/Daggerspine (PvP)
    Stevehanson, Jeffhanson, Jackhanson, Killercarlsn, Dunlop (All 80!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorin
    I should be able to tell you whether it'll keybroadcast from macs to pcs.
    The original does, I'm not sure if your modified version will though.
    Wilbur