Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 28

Default Setting up a Melee boxing team HOW TO** (ie how to use click to interact to make melee boxing work! )

okely dokely neighbors! I posted this on another thread, and thought i should probably NOT bury it in someone elses thread cuz i think it deserves its own Hopefully someone can copy/paste this into the stickies somewhere if many people find this useful (though its really simple to set up if you've been boxing a while and understand the mechanics lol) Here goes: good luck have fun rawrawrawr!
    PS this example uses the DEATHKNIGHT class for that is what i've most experience tho its fairly simple to use whatever else, the principals are the same

Here's what you need to do:

1. Set Up your toons as normal(i use a focus for leader system so i'll explain that way, i think this is the best way to do this as its REALLY hard to do it leaderlessly... im not gonna explain why but you'll have to trust me

2. Set up a bar with however many characters you have, have that many buttons on it for each toon so you can focus them on demand(that way you can focus any of your guys and use them as a leader i use my F9 thru F12 keys as they're easy access and out of the way so you dont accidentally press and change focus(that can be messy))

3. Set up your first skill in your rotation or whatever you pull with, Im using DK spells for this example (icy touch for everyone pretty much i would imagine) with a macro thats something like -->
    /target focustarget
    /cast icy touch
    what this macro will do will be to lead off your damage dealing with auto targeting whatever your main/focus has targeted. ***(i dont do this however cuz if you want to sic your dks on something else with interact and want to use this skill then it auto targets what you're on and messes that up. What I do is to have a key (SHIFT+F) that does the /target focustarget that way i have to manually control the alts, forcing them to target and basically making them have a sticky target system till the mobs dead Once you get a feel for this system its only a matter of time that you'd do it this way.

******** a side note from this, the reason i use a separate key to force targeting is so that i can put each DK on a separate mob at the start of the fight for: Death grips, Interrupts, CC. This lets my tank tab target as well getting threat on everything while my dks stay on what needs to be cc'd gripped or interrupted, so i can still tank

4. okay i got side tracked there lol numba FOUR! WOOT!: now that you've deciphered how your alts are going to get their target you need to bind your key for interact with target(i use Z as its in a good spot and easily spammed, yet still out of the way. Looking back, i'd prefer to put it on my E key(but i use E for other stuff so i cant lol) so it can be more easily spammed (for pvp purposes and when stuff moves around faster you need to spam it more to stay in range) Either way, put this somewhere close to your dps rotation keys cuz you may very well need to hit it SEVERAL times per fight

5. OKAY so now that you've set up your melee keybinds dont forget to use your follow key, for when shtuff goes crazy and you need to fix a guy thats running off, or when the mob is dead and you gotta start the chase to the next one. Put this on a modifier and on a key close by but still out of the way i use F but i'd recommend using SHIFT F or SHIFT G... or if you have a mouse with extra buttons and you're not using them put BOTH interact with target on one key, and SHIFT + that key for follow.
    (SIDE NOTE AGAIN!) JAMBA USERS!! **** MAKE DAMN SURE***** MAKE DAMN SURE ****** that you have auto follow strobing turned OFFFFF OFF OFFFFOFFOFFOFFOFF for this to work!

6. Make sure auto strobing in jamba is turned off! (if you use it)

7. Make sure CLICK TO MOVE IS ENABLED

8. Basic combat: oh goody! i see a mob! ROMG target it with main( on a side note, i usually leave my main character on a manual control system so that i dont interact with target on him i prefer it this way but at the same time its nice having to not have to do anything pretty much lol. If you do this, you'd have to unbind the interact with target key every time you change whoever is leading, this is strictly up to you how you do it tho, you could possibly just use a shift, alt, ctrl modifier for each different toon but then you'd have a lot of spamming going on tho manual control of each slave would be nice for this lol perhaps its possible since you have two slots you can keybind interact target with!) SO you see a mob, target with main, force your slaves to target with your main assist key, click interact with target keybind----> should lead to your guys all running toward the badguy to face smash em and stopping where the mob is, basically "clicking to move" to the spot where the mob was.

8 1/2. Sometimes the mob will move when they get agro on your main/slaves due to the way agro works, when you first interacted your toons were basically "clicked" to move to where that mob WAS... they will continue and stop at that point, so you may not be in range, just click your interact key one more time your slaves will turn and get in range, from there its just basic beatdown of mobs ie dps rotation(drop your diseases, spread them, aoe, dump runic power lol). I've grown accustom to setting up my pulling spell with chains of ice (with my target focustarget in that macro)o put the mob rooted, then interacting so my guys run over to it, this prevents this little out of range problem somewhat, but it doesnt work for bossfights andthose immune to the root effects

9. Well then, that covers basic melee run down with a focus based system... This is for people to have a break down of how to set up a melee team. hope it helps communitY! I LUVS JOO! <3
    [align=center] :thumbup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 8o :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbup:
    [/align]

While we're on the subject, has anyone else had problems with alts running away. This works fine for me but on plenty of occasions when I rehit my interact button one or more of my alts will run through the target and just run off into the sunset :P

Yeah, that just happened to me.
    Was running out of Deathholme and attacked the two mobs 'guarding' the entrance when my 4 shamans just decided to run off into the sunset, I repressed my interact button (spammed it even) to no avail, they just kept going aggroing every mob through the 'scar whateveritiscalled' and eventually 3 of them died of Lurzan while one of them kept going pretty far until he hit a wall.
    Normally when this happens they come running back when I re-hit the interact button, however some times they come back and instead of adjusting correctly they keep running the other way instead.

I'm not sure why it's made out to be so complicated. You don't need any of the click to move or any of that.

Your spells as a DK, Warrior, Rogue will start your attack anyhow, and if it doesn't a /startattack and a /follow <main> is all that's needed.

Plus, my auto follow strobe is on with no problems, and there's no need for the interact with target key.
    Nisch

Quote Originally Posted by 'Nisch',index.php?page=Thread&postID=198264#post19 8264
    I'm not sure why it's made out to be so complicated. You don't need any of the click to move or any of that.

Your spells as a DK, Warrior, Rogue will start your attack anyhow, and if it doesn't a /startattack and a /follow <main> is all that's needed.

Plus, my auto follow strobe is on with no problems, and there's no need for the interact with target key.
    And you also have to position mobs carefully to make sure all your alts are in melee range.
    What the OP is describing is setting up a system so your melee alts will *MOVE* to the target by hitting the interact key.
    The Orcks of War
    Shaman Borck Zorck Dorck Porck Corck
    Mixed Team - Msblonde - Mswhite - Msblack - Msred - Msbrown -

yes the old follow will work, but with click to move, and the interact keybind its basically an auto follow for the mobs, so you dont HAVE to get exact position and start attacking with follow. This new system completely makes that irrelevant now, ie its not needed anymore... it still works tho Just this new way is better hehe

Quote Originally Posted by 'thinus',index.php?page=Thread&postID=198279#post1 98279
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Nisch',index.php?page=Thread&postID=198264#post19 8264

And you also have to position mobs carefully to make sure all your alts are in melee range.
    What the OP is describing is setting up a system so your melee alts will *MOVE* to the target by hitting the interact key.
    I'm not sure how you mean "carefully"

The field of melee is great enough that you really don't need to be careful.

You walk through the mob, you turn your main around.........and you're all in range.

That's why I posted a video of it. Even showing that multiple mobs were easy to position.
    Nisch

Quote Originally Posted by 'ghonosyph and the moocrew',index.php?page=Thread&postID=198293#post1 98293
    yes the old follow will work, but with click to move, and the interact keybind its basically an auto follow for the mobs, so you dont HAVE to get exact position and start attacking with follow. This new system completely makes that irrelevant now, ie its not needed anymore... it still works tho Just this new way is better hehe
    That's one thing I miss about Dark Age of Camelot. When I wanted to attack something, I would just /stick my 6 toons to the mob, and they would stick to them even if they went running off.

I do see your point in using the click to move, but I am simply stating that it's not needed to run an all melee group. I have leveled up all the melee classes, even before the "Interact with Target" button, and positioning is as simple as running through the mob and turning around.

Heck, with my paladins, non-elite mobs at my level, I one shot and just walk through, without even stopping most of the time. I've even found that if you play with the latency within the game, you can get your toons to hit the mob when it appears to be chasing you from behind.
    Nisch

I understand what you are saying Nisch.

I've done minor multiboxing with a couple of melee (not running instances) and found that running through the mob with the tank and just waiting for the mob to settle then attacking worked wonders.

I'm trying to think of ways that Interact with and click to move would be superior.

I guess being able to send your team to a pesky caster that's broken out of CC and not been line of sighted whilst still tanking the main group might be nice.

I'm wondering if it will simplify some fights in violet hold - I'm thinking specifically of the boss where the orbs drop and only one toon can see them.
    I was thinking a /target <name of orb things>
    /target focustarget followed by the interact click would send the melee toon that can see them around dps ing them whilst everyone else
    would continue on.

Or could you send one of your toons over to trigger the candles in violet hold if you are struggling.

I'm also thinking of fights like anomalus where you could send your team running to a spark then to the next one without having to drag them over with the tank.
    (then again anomalus tends to go immune round about the same time so maybe not worth it).
    Frost tombs on Prince Keleseth (although if everyone is on top of each other and put down aoe it's not too big a deal)

I'm not sure how useful all of the above would be, as I'm guessing there are work arounds for all of it.
    I like the idea of it in principle, I'll have to see how it goes in practice when I actually get my melee team running instances.
    Team: Feral Druid, 3 Ele Shaman, 1 Resto Shaman

Gimp Team: 4 paladins(13) and a DK(80)
    Kierlay,kierlee,kieree,kierla and Karatesh

Quote Originally Posted by 'Nisch',index.php?page=Thread&postID=198350#post19 8350
    Quote Originally Posted by 'thinus',index.php?page=Thread&postID=198279#post1 98279

I'm not sure how you mean "carefully"

The field of melee is great enough that you really don't need to be careful.

You walk through the mob, you turn your main around.........and you're all in range.

That's why I posted a video of it. Even showing that multiple mobs were easy to position.
    I don't know what game you are playing but in my world mobs are not easy to position. Mobs tend to run to weird positions when they switch aggro, frequently they will run behind the target they are attacking. Most of the time running through a mob will work but sometimes they will not stand still and just turn around, they will path to a different location which will probably be out of melee range. Maybe it is just because of latency on my connection but with a 200+ ping I *GUARANTEE* mobs are not easy to position.

And when you get multiple mobs they tend to spread out around the target that has aggro which frequently places them far enough to the side or behind the group so they are out of melee range. I know, I have been meleeing with my 5 shaman from lvl 1 to lvl 55 where they are currently at and there are lots of times I am able to land spells on a target but I get the "You need to be facing your target to attack" message. Not to mention stoneclaw aggro pulling mobs into weird positions.

Then you get ranged mobs that root. When a ranged mob that roots has aggro on a target and it roots the target it will run out of melee range and use ranged attacks and they seem to run in a random direction as well which will often put them behind your group.

So, yes, you don't NEED the interacting but for some of us having problems with mobs pathing weirdly it will certainly help more than it will harm.
    The Orcks of War
    Shaman Borck Zorck Dorck Porck Corck
    Mixed Team - Msblonde - Mswhite - Msblack - Msred - Msbrown -