Quote Originally Posted by 'Souca',index.php?page=Thread&postID=191099#post19 1099
One other thing. Are we sure the anti-boxing clauses in Warhammer aren't just the standard "you can't play this game on more than one computer cause you only bought one copy"? Granted I know this is ultimately up to their discretion, but when I saw the verbage I thought more about the situation where I install photoshop on my computer and my friends; only one can be used at a time acordign to the EULA. Unless they sell accounts seperate from the game, you would have one copy per account. Just a thought.
It could be. Kind of a silly stance, since the the client itself isn't really what generates revenue. I mean, the start up price of an MMO is the shelf price minus the first month's worth of subscription, which then generates revenue on a subscription basis. They really ought to just hand the client out like Warcraft does if they want to generate massive subscriptions and revenue.

Of course, I guess that's the revenue model of a successful MMO. I suppose it is entirely feasable to try and market the thing like an ordinary PC game where you generate revenue based on units sold, but that seems short sighted and outdated to me.

That said, it strikes me that if the GM department follows that business model, they would probably be more than content to just ban your accounts since you've already generated the revenue of a sold game. Can't really say for certain one way or the other though...

I actually think I'm going to call that "The Diablo Principle". For those of you too young to remember, when games like Diablo and Warcraft 2 first came out, they were copy friendly, and allowed a "spawned" versions to be installed, which allowed limited gameplay even if you didn't have the disk. Not that the disk had any copy protection anyway. All you really needed was a cd writer, which wasn't too common at the time.

Anywho, the point is, at the time, anyone who wanted to try the game could with a minimum of effort. While that situation has waned over the years, you see a moderate resurgance with the free-trials of WoW. Install WoW on every computer you come across, Blizz doesn't care, because it means more chances to get people to try the trial and ultimately the chance to hook them in to a subscription.