Close
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Group Comp

Default Group Comp

Hi everyone,
    I've noticed a lot of people tend to set their groups up with the usual comp (tank, healer, 3 dps) or with 4 mage/priest setups. The mage setup seems 'easier' in the sense that you aren't mixing classes, but much riskier due to no tank. The usual comp seems more durable but like it would be a huge pain to manage due to 3+ classes to manage. So, I decided to try 4 warlocks with very tanky builds, and a paladin for healing/buffs. Has anyone tried this approach and if so, how did you like it? I'm hoping it will provide a good mix of survivability without making things too complicated.
    This is my first 5 box setup, so I'm trying to focus on comps that aren't overly complex, but can still be effective. So far I've had good luck running Deadmines and Stockades. Did okay in SFK but of course there's a lot of shadow resistance there, and some real weird aggro spots, so I wasn't able to complete it before I had to log.
    Looking forward to your feedback!
    Sassy

Assuming this is for classic? If so, tanking is not as much of a requirement as it is on live. You can overpower a lot of content without a tank which is why the 4x mage / priest works, you can CC / Heal and just burn down the npc.
    So warlocks would also probably work if that's the class you enjoy playing.

On retail you typically need some type of tank due to mobs living longer/special mechanics. With that in mind, you can still do 5x of any class and probably clear a mythic 0 without too much trouble. When you start ramping it up on mythic+, it cuts down on your options.
    FFXIV - Aether - Sargatanas
    Twitch - https://twitch.tv/multidayz
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/Multidayz

Ellay, i just watched your video featuring 2 shamans and a paladin in arena, and wonder how you manage to iwt that smoothly. I know, you can put in a single movement key to stop toons to run away, yet, i never manage toons to interact without runaways occasionally that way. Sometimes, a meele runs in circles around a targets, and i have to make them follow back again. Do you use focus healing without any kind of healing rotation on that team? Do you use isboxer keymaps, or also mixed with gse?

you can stop runaways by adding a "move forward" line in your IWT macro.
    E.G

UP (or W key)
    Assist target line
    Interact with target line
    Action Key line (ability)

Alternatively you can add a whole new step into your macro
    E.G

Step 1:
    Assist target line
    Interact with target line
    Action Key line (ability)
    Step 2: Do not Advance for X seconds
    UP (or W key)

There are many ways to do it, but all of them involve implementing a movement key step into the IWT macro. If you search these forums for "stop runaways" you'll see pages of talk and solutions. If you watch videos like Elay's and Mrai's on youtube you can catch discussion/glimpses of their macro's and how they do it.

Thanks for your answer. Well, as i wrote, i already utilize a movement key.

I have added an "Auto interact with target" mapped key to the party keymap, this looks like the following:
    Do Click to move on all other
    Move left (Q-Key)
    Interact with target - Virtual (which is mapped to the interact macro step in the setup of the group)

And in the key press finally

Do Auto-Assist me
    Do Auto-Interact with target > Melees (a target group which contains all my melees)
    Send action key to combat target group

Probably there is a bug with using Q instead of W?

It seems, sometimes when i push Q and E together. and hit the follow button as well, the toons keep following while strafing. Which has interesting movement effects on the group. As like swarming around my current main toon.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleflavor View Post
    you can stop runaways by adding a "move forward" line in your IWT macro. E.G UP (or W key) Assist target line Interact with target line Action Key line (ability) Alternatively you can add a whole new step into your macro E.G Step 1: Assist target line Interact with target line Action Key line (ability) Step 2: Do not Advance for X seconds UP (or W key) There are many ways to do it, but all of them involve implementing a movement key step into the IWT macro. If you search these forums for "stop runaways" you'll see pages of talk and solutions. If you watch videos like Elay's and Mrai's on youtube you can catch discussion/glimpses of their macro's and how they do it.
    The Swarm effect i talk about, starts at second 11 in that video:

https://imgur.com/a/RIezapu
    Last edited by MiRai : 09-25-2020 at 11:49 PM Reason: Merged

Never seen them do that outside of combat! - I bind "S" as a straight key to all so they move back and it normally corrects most negative movement behavior.

i refer to it as "orbiting" lol. Only get it maybe once a month now after adding the movement key to my iwt.