I apparently did not reserve enough postspace.

This is an ARCHIVE post. The information listed in this post is INVALID and no longer applies to the game in question. It is here for reference only, valid information for this game is located in the beginning of this thread.

EQ2 specific Ticket 090210-001499 - see here for full text

Multi-boxing is definitely allowed. What we do not allow is automated botting. Every action taken by a character has to be the result of a unique keystroke. Usually this is accomplished by multiple computers with multiple keyboards, though it is permissible to use one keyboard to control several computers through a selector switch. You are allowed to use 3rd party software, as long as you do not in any way manipulate or change the client (EQ2) program and as long as you are at the controls and capable or responding from each character. An examples of something that is not ok is having Character 2 following Character 1 with a macro that auto-heals character 1 or that auto-attacks.

For the new Recruit a Friend promotion, yes you can use it to invite several of your own accounts. We specifically set the rules so that this would work and be attractive to many of our customers. As you noticed, this promotion can result in a substantial amount of free time.
Re : Vanguard et al, SOE Ticket 090306-000046

Our policy regarding multiboxing is the same across all of the games that we currently support.
SOE was actually incredible about answering all my questions :

1. Yes {Original Question - Do you allow Hardware multi-boxing?}

2. Yes {Original Question - Do you allow Software multi-boxing?}

3. If you are at your computer while the character is being played, then multi-boxing is fine. Generally speaking we will only take action against people who automate their characters to play unattended. If you are suspected of botting then the GM will typically send the character a tell to see if they are at the keyboard. {Original Question - What are your rules for distinguishing multi-boxing from botting?}

4. While performing actions with the specific intent of causing grief for other players is against the rules, mutliboxing would not have an effect on this. {Original Question - Do you have "fair play" clauses in your EULA that multi-boxers should be particularly aware of? - Fair play clauses are things like intentionally griefing other players or blocking other players from using content.}

5. According to our policy, account sharing is against the rules. The only exception is when a parent sets up an account for a child. {Original Question - Do you have an account sharing policy?}

6. We definitely do have a Recruit a Friend promotion running at the moment. You can find all the details under the following link:
http://help.station.sony.com/cgi-bin...?p_faqid=20657 {Original Question - Do you have any "Recruit-a-Friend" style offers that multi-boxers could take advantage of, or conversely are prohibited from enrolling in? - Check specific game sites, this was the only one going when I asked my questions. }

7. I don't believe the game has any protections like what you are describing. I am not a multiboxer myself, so there may be some problems I'm not aware of. Still, I know others who have done it without issue. Keep in mind that multi-boxing is considered 'unsupported' play so we can't provide technical support related to running multiple instances of the game. {Original Question - Do you have specific guards in place to prevent certain actions? Specifically, many games do not like to run in the background. Many programs "correct" this by locking a window into the foreground. In some cases, this "foreground only" behavior is unintentional. In other cases, this is fully intended to prevent people from playing more than one copy of the same game on one computer.

In the latter instance, software boxing would be a violation of your EULA if a "lock in foreground" mechanism was used, but may well be allowed if alt-tabbing between instances to repeat key presses was used. Or neither may be allowed, meaning software multi-boxing is a violation in your game and any attempt to do so is actionable.
}