Close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Showing results 11 to 18 of 18

At any given time, at least one of my 5 toons gets the 'quest helper crashed' error and doesn't work properly. It's time for me to shop for another addon it seems.
    "My dogs could roll heroics with how a lot of you play."
    - Fursphere 2010

Read before you post.
    The only thing thats gone get removed from questhelper is the advetisment ingame for donaiting, the addon wont go away.
    Same whit Carbonite, the creaters of carbonite has alreddy said that when 3.1 release they will make it free of charge and make it possible to donate.
    The addons will still be able to accept donation, just cant advetise it ingame.
    Since the new rules state that all have to be open source annyone can copy it and imp it/update it.

The addons wont go away, you just wont have to pay for it annymore

Quote Originally Posted by 'X-Ifist',index.php?page=Thread&postID=188214#post188 214
    Same whit Carbonite, the creaters of carbonite has alreddy said that when 3.1 release they will make it free of charge and make it possible to donate.
    Where have they said that... haven't seen anything about it on the Carbonite forums, where far too many muppets are claiming that it's about time Carbonite was free... why don't they fuck off and write it themselves then!

I've not seen any official response from Carbonite either. Would be nice if they would offer me back my year subscription I paid. I'd refuse it and call it a donation, instead, but the offer would at least be nice.

I'm sure that Blizzard could have handled this matter a lot bette than they have, but at the end of the day, it is their game, their rules and their profit. They can do anything they wish.

It will be interesting to see just how many sites pop up, asking for donations for addons which are simply code copied and altered from Carbonite, once the code is made available to all.

Quote Originally Posted by 'X-Ifist',index.php?page=Thread&postID=188214#post188 214
    Read before you post.
    The only thing thats gone get removed from questhelper is the advetisment ingame for donaiting, the addon wont go away.
    The addons will still be able to accept donation, just cant advetise it ingame.
    Since the new rules state that all have to be open source annyone can copy it and imp it/update it.

The addons wont go away, you just wont have to pay for it annymore
    The person who maintains the addon said he does not wish to continue it without being able to mention donations in-game, so it does have the possibility to go away if no one else picks it up. Also, open source does not mean copyright free. My own addons, Trinity Bars and Macaroon, do not use obfuscated code but are indeed my copyrighted works. Unless someone gets permission from me, any releases that are not done by me would a violation of federal copyright law.

The only addon I know that you *had* to pay for to get full features was Carbonite. Addons like Carbonite and Quest Helper require an immense amount of work to keep going. The algorithms have to be adjusted and updated each patch. Coding any complex addon over any length of time can become taxing. One of the things that does keep me going on my own addons are the donations I do indeed receive from generous users. If I were getting bupkis since the days of Trinity Bars, I would have given up making any public addon long ago. Coding larger projects is just like having a part time job. You may enjoy it, but it is still like a job where you feel you have responsibilities.
    Buy Maul a Coke!

I want to fix the bug and/or add the feature you requested...but I am sooooo sleeeeeepy...

/yawnstretch

Don't I know it.

Once made a patch for an RPG game quite some time ago that fixed a ton of bugs. Took 2 months to make. When I look back at it I'm like. Why the hell did I do that! :P

I guess I did have fun and learned quite some about programming along the way though. But it was indeed quite taxing. Kudos to all 'hobby' programmers that keep going.
    Slowly crawling back towards the experience that is Multiboxing Mayhem

I use carbonite and macaroon, both excellent products.

I dont see anything wrong for charging for add ons.

Same for me.

I don't mind paying for a good addon. But if I where to pay for all addons on all my toons it would quickly ad up. I would probably reconsider which mods I really needed

Jamba and Macaroon rocks!
    Grim Batol EU (Horde) PVP
    Guild: GIMP

5x Druids = 5x FUN