Close
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Showing results 11 to 20 of 44

The UI has pretty much everything I immediately recognised as needing. high visibility of all team members life, aggro alerts so I know who has aggro, quick targetting, visibility of pets. Most importantly, nice large bars for my life and the targets life, with casting and effects enabled.

If anyone wants to know any more about the UI, what other features it has and what is needed to achieve them, feel free to ask.

As I said, I'm going to write here as though I'm a total new player, so that it can help folks who maybe new players to any of the concepts.

I picked up the following books :

Hacking World of Warcraft

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hacking-Warc...2439797&sr=8-1

Ignore the 1 star reviews. Its not actually about hacking, its about the UI and macro's. Terrific book and well worth picking up.

World of Warcraft Strategy Collection

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...413013-7682820

All 3 of the Atlas, the Dungeon Companion and the Game Guide Book (Revised) for 22 pound.

Then I read up on Pallie tanking, as I've never played a Pallie before. I found a good guide to the basics on the offical EU Pallie forums :

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....98509863&sid=1

Now I need to finish off the Warlock and Shaman UI's and make some more advanced macro's than assist and cast/nuke/pet attack.

Of note: It is possible to copy and paste macros, uis, ui frame positions, etc.

With 108+ addons and counting, I REALLY did not want to remake them 9 more times.

Thanks bud

Just to be clear, I'm doing different UI's for each class. 161 add-ons here btw.

Shaman UI - this is the PC directly to the right of the main PC, so all targetting and health bars are focused around the left hand side of the screen :

I gotcha. Since I am only boxing 3 classes, I am going to push the same UI to all 10 and then turn off the features I don't need (like healing on a mage).

But - on every UI - the core features are in the exact same place. This makes it easier to control things that need to be done on all machines at the same time AND also gives a sense of consistency.

Is there any compelling reason why you are altering each UI, other than to add new class specific features? I assume your "main layouts" are in the same spot - things like targeting, healthbars, etc?

Or do you just plan on learning your new UI as you go and adapting to it?

I have never boxed more than 3 different characters before. Not sure I could and still be successful at PvP - so I have never given it that much thought before.

The changes I'm making are class specific.

I think we are going to find out, over the coming months, that we can learn from each other about varying mechanics of boxing.

I don't use any synchronised or broadcast mouse, so no need to have targetting in same spaces. Everything is done via macros. So its actually better to have individual UI's centred around the main machine.I'm very used to running everything from two keyboards so I have a G15 on the main char and on the healer/secondary. The main keyboard broadcasts, so each key can fire off a different ability or macro on each machine. Obviously some keys are switched off from broadcasting.

For example, up until now I have only used three or four buttons.

Tab on main for target

1 - Button one is Seal on Pallie, a totem (insta cast) on shammy and a macro on the 3 Warlocks :

/target main
    /assist main
    /petattack
    /cast first DoT (instant cast)

2 - Button 2 is Judgement on Pallie, varies on Shammy, /cast second DoT (insta cast) on Warlocks

3 - Button 3 - seal, varies, wand

Mob is dead in seconds and this is extremely basic and innefficient, but grinding easy mobs and quests it doesn't matter. While its very basic it gives you an idea of options I will use later on. Obviously crowd control later on and off tanking with pets can't be dealt with quite so easily, but the same methodology will be used.

The only thing the three (five) UI's have in common is three rows of spells/abilities, each assigned the same hotkeys. Each machine also has an additional, unique set of 12 keys.

Not all hotkeys will have an application on each machine. The core abilities of each class are spread over 12 keys per class, so three rows of keys gives the vast majority of what needs to be done in a party in a combat situation.

The mouse doesn't broadcast but I do move about between the machines sometimes, for group admin or accepting quests etc. The mouse pointer skipping the middle PC is a big inconvenience for me at the moment.

What an interesting setup. I never tought to do it that way but I think the reason is because you are PvEing and I built this to PvP.

Not that we HAVE to do our respective targets but I do think we can learn quite a bit from each other.

My goal really is to spend what it takes to give me the ultimate setup possible for PvP success. I don't care what it costs (within reason) as long as it gives me the functionality I need with a near 100% reliability rate. 10 computers, battery backups, hardware broadcasters, redundant internet etc. My whole setup has been designed for maximum PvP effectiveness. That means highly focused damage, instant response times, ability to react to nearly any situation instantly - be it movement impairment effects, fear, damage, silences, etc.

In order to do that, I need instant response times and the ability to cast almost any spell. I even have slowfall mapped out - just in case

You see though, to me, I just would not be able to do that with 5 different classes. I can heal and dps just fine - I practiced that for 2 years with the Zins. Adding locks makes things a BIT more complicated but the way I set everything up - there is so much overlap. Sure, I will be casting fireball AND shadowbolt but both are ranged based DDs with a cast time. There is significant overlap while bringing summons, dots, pets and soulstones to the table. Adding even 1 more class would be far more than I think would be feasable though - I am stretched enough as it is.

Which is most likely why you (so far) are limited to simple actions. Of course, you will take it further but how do you plan on dealing with fears, individual movement, dynamic repositioning requirements, silences, multiple MTs, etc? Have you given that any thought, as many of the 60 and beyond dungeons require these kind of things to progress through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzin

In order to do that, I need instant response times and the ability to cast almost any spell. I even have slowfall mapped out - just in case
    Don't get much more instant than synchronised macro casts. Tab, 1, 2 and some poor schmuck has 19 insta-cast DoTs on him and is feared. I can only imagine the poor joy of running around spamming 10 arcane explosions by just pressing 1,1,1,1,1,1, :lol:

Got my Walock UI about done. Just need to distribute it to 3 PC's and make minor layout changes on each. Now to set up the hot keys and macros.

And here's a picture of the setup.