Close
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Backslash on XP

Default Backslash on XP

Asking here as no idea where else to ask: (though asked on EU forums...)

I have standard 102 key keyboard using the UK keymap, until recently it worked fine, it still works fine if I boot in safe mode or use some form of non-windows (linux boot etc). My software is setup no differently from normal. And the on screen keyboard won't do it either.

Problem being I am unable to creat a back slash character, the button physically works (if I use it and shift I get pipe '|' character.)

Any ideas?
    Currently running 3x City of Heroes under Octopus

Oooer.

USB or PS/2 Keyboard?
    Wilbur

/ I assume?
    Try holding left alt pressed and enter 47 with numpad =)
    WTF? RUN! Wow Multiboxing Blog

Default Re: Backslash on XP

Quote Originally Posted by Lost-Ninja
    Asking here as no idea where else to ask: (though asked on EU forums...)

I have standard 102 key keyboard using the UK keymap, until recently it worked fine, it still works fine if I boot in safe mode or use some form of non-windows (linux boot etc). My software is setup no differently from normal. And the on screen keyboard won't do it either.

Problem being I am unable to creat a back slash character, the button physically works (if I use it and shift I get pipe '|' character.)

Any ideas?
    Look at your keyboard layout in the control panel, make sure it's set properly for your keyboard, either QWERTY or AZERTY. I can all but guarantee this is set wrong and it is a profile specific setting.

Just for the record: \ = Backslash, / = Slash. You'll notice that one slopes "Back" against the flow of your typing and the other slopes "forward"...

I would also bet that the keyboard behaves fine at your windows login but not once you log into the system...
    [> Sam I Am (80) <] [> Team Doublemint <][> Hexed (60) (retired) <]
    [> Innerspace & ISBoxer Toolkit <][> Boxing on Blackhand, Horde <]
    "Innerspace basically reinvented the software boxing world. If I was to do it over again, I'd probably go single PC + Innerspace/ISBoxer." - Fursphere

Thanks for the replies...

/ = alt+047
    \ = alt+092 (and the one I can type no other way).

My keyboard input language is set to United Kingdom and my keyboard layout is also set to United Kingdom (the physical keyboard is also UK and has worked fine until recently).

I have tried both a USB (logitech cordless) and PS2 (my main keyboard, an old-ish IBM keyboard (which happens to be a joy to type with)).

I'm fairly sure it has to be software, as I have tried two motherboards, two keyboards, two PSUs, two CPUs... etc (not two different PCs).

Found the issue...

Synergy keeps its settings file in my My Documents directory...

at some point in the past I set my \ key as the lock to desktop key and forgot about it.

Each time I have installed synergy i just left the settings alone...

*feels very stupid*

Quote Originally Posted by Lost-Ninja
    Found the issue...

Synergy keeps its settings file in my My Documents directory...

at some point in the past I set my \ key as the lock to desktop key and forgot about it.

Each time I have installed synergy i just left the settings alone...

*feels very stupid*
    It happens to the best of us At least you got it fixed.
    5 Shamans - lvl 70
    Xxearth, Xxfire, Xxwind, Xxwater, Xxheart
    Capnplanet - Bank alt