Close
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Default Gave up on Vista64 - check out this controller

Well after a few weeks of trying I just gave up on Vista64bit ultima ($400 for two copies down the drain ... )

Well I got EQ to run on 64 bit vista but I am going back to win 2K. There are just not enough drivers (logitech setpoint is buggy in 64 bit and vista kinda, there are almost no 64 bit video editors either). Vista is nice eye candy and it does seem a tad vaster but win2K is screaming on my 6000 duel core amd64 with raptor HD.

I belive that Vista can be ran without virus protection, in my humble opinion, making it even faster. Just keep a clone back up with acronious every so often and don't open email attachment or go to sites you know are questionable. And the WMP 10 is also nice. On the one hand all these extra mouse clicks you need to do anything even as the Admin keep it kinda virus proof it does slow things down a lot to where whatever speed edge you get you kinda lose.

The big edge of the 64 bit was 4 gig of ram but I have this new motherboard with about 500M extra flash ram: "readyboost" http://techreport.com/articles.x/11810 which adds like 1/2 gig of flash ram to the system.

I have 4 gig ram installed and show 3.66 gig in win2K with the 1/2 gig of flash included.

I don't think that vista is stable enough for prime time yet. Give it a year for more drivers to be developed and the bugs to be iron out.

You could duel boot also I suppose but I just wore out of the whole thing. Google VistaProBoot.

Finally I will get back to playing just in time for the big expansion!

During my searches I came upon like the God of Controler/mouse/trackball whatever:

http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/spaceexplorer.php

Man that looks so neet (only $300 bucks or so), and some from 59-400. Can you imagine using a flying mount with that, or levitation in eq?

Its usb if that vetra company ever does a 8 port usb broadcaster that works I might get this and that.

28 BoXXoR RoXXoR Website
    28 Box SOLO Nalak 4m26s! Ilevel 522! GM 970 Member Guild! Multiboxing Since Mid 2001!

I gotta ask. Why Vista 64 over XP 64? I have a server that runs rock solid with XP 64 and 4+ gigs of ram. I also have a system that runs Vista 32 and while Vista is functional.... I hate it. It gives off errors, annoys the user, has a ton of driver issues and obfuscates (to me an experienced user) some key features and settings. Plus, real Nvidia support for their 8800s is still desperately lacking.

Vista offers absolutely NO compelling benefits for gaming right now (and it is HIGHLY doubtful WoW will go DX10 only in the next 2 - 3 years. So why load it at all?

Plus driver support for Vista 64 is even worse. XP 64 at least isn't that bad.

I have one of these: http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/spacenavigator.php

Not too bad - a bit unresponsive though but I didn't tinker with it toooooo much. The explorer might be a step up - but don't expect WoW or EQ (?) to integrate it natively any time soon. Would be a great way to use your flying mounts though.
    The Zins - 10 Boxing
    Xzin, Azin, Bzin, Czin, Dzin
    Xyzin, Ayzin, Byzin, Cyzin, Dyzin
    Magtheridon - US

Interesting gaming mouse and ya, I've seen nothing but bad news from Vista - perhaps in time but for now sticking with XP

I kinda like Vista. There's alot of work involved in setting it up, and god forbid you should have to delete/replace some system files (that one took me hours), but with SP1 right around the corner, I will stick it out for now.

Setpoint drivers fucking suck whether you're on xp or Vista. There's a couple of duct tape solutions I'm using right now, while waiting for some guy to program drivers for my G9. There are other drivers available for MX1000, revolution, and hopefully the G9 gets some attention soon. Don't have the links right now, but can dig them up if any interest. Following that project from work.

I have a laptop that I got set up with UAC and all the safety bells and whistles, using it for banking and such, the other machines are just stripped down to the bone in services and such.
    WTF? RUN! Wow Multiboxing Blog

I love Vista and couldin't imagine going back to XP. I have no stability or driver issues. Of course im only running 32 bit version, but with 3 GB of ram.

Best analogy I have heard regarding Vista so far is that it is the WinME of modern OSs. With SP1 due out soon that might change but I won't hold my breath.
    Currently running 3x City of Heroes under Octopus

Well I don't know I never upgraded to XP, so I just bought the 64 bit vista ultimate... I guess XP is very stable but such a small improvment over win2K I just don't see the big advantage of going to XP, if you have win2K. And with the 500M ram thing, going from 3.6 to 4.whatever ram isnt really all that to get a 64 bit system either. And just dumping Norton gives more speed then going from 32 bit to 64 bit for sure.

Ya Vista is just not up for prime time, yet.

I guess the tip off is Microsoft extending the support period for XP lol ...

Can you imagine if you had to buy a car under the same conditions that you buy an OS. "Ya sure you can get our car to drive the way we advertize it - after you spend 100 hours fixing our product. Just call technical support and they will tell you what you need to fix to get our product to work the way we advertize it. Oh ya after the first 30 hours we will also charge you to tell you what to do to work on our product to get it to work the way we say it will." Oh ya no refund after you sit in the drivers seat.

Wonder if I can get my money back lol ... oh well whatever.

Ya for sure no game we play will go directX10 only anytime soon heh.

That mouse still looks hot. Somehow they expect that you will use it with a mouse so you have your mouse in your right hand and use it with your left? Or maybe set it next to your mouse? Ok they need to add a mouse trackball to it I think, or something. Xzin when you used the other one how did you set it up, with other hand or with mouse hand?