Close
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Default Anybody know a way I can automatically assign CPU affinity?

Hey there,

I think I might swap out my dual core cpu for a quad core CPU, then assign 5x WoW's to their own CPU (minus 1 to double).

Does anybody know of a way to make an EXE (eg. wow.exe) automatically start under a certain CPU affinity?

Then I could just make 5 copies of wow.exe and assign them all a CPU Affinity up front.

Thanks!

There should be a command line option to do that.
    The Zins - 10 Boxing
    Xzin, Azin, Bzin, Czin, Dzin
    Xyzin, Ayzin, Byzin, Cyzin, Dyzin
    Magtheridon - US

Default Re: Anybody know a way I can automatically assign CPU affini

Quote Originally Posted by Evilseed
    Hey there,

I think I might swap out my dual core cpu for a quad core CPU, then assign 5x WoW's to their own CPU (minus 1 to double).

Does anybody know of a way to make an EXE (eg. wow.exe) automatically start under a certain CPU affinity?

Then I could just make 5 copies of wow.exe and assign them all a CPU Affinity up front.

Thanks!
    Be careful when playing around with processor affinities and WoW - u can actually make the game slower. Note - WoW only supports dual core natively....
    The Zerg (Magtheridon - US)

Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F.

There is an utility called process.exe which can assign affinitys. I have found that the best way of assigning affinitys is to just give all 5 games all 4 cpus and let the OS automatically split it up. If you give each instance of the game their own CPU, then there are times when 1 instance could use more CPU, and some instances have CPU to spare.

If you use Vista, you can use the "start /affinity" construct in a command (batch) file:

[code:1]wow1.cmd:
    start /affinity 1 c:\games\world of warcraft drone 1\wow.exe[/code:1]

etc.

I'm not sure how you do that under XP, but (with the Pro edition at least) you can set the affinity of an already executing process from the task manager.

btw, if you didn't know... v1.7r of keyclone allows for automatic assigning of cpu affinity.

check the command editor

After hours (erm, minutes) of struggling with the start /affinity cmd thingy, I couldn't get it to work with wow.exe. Always ended up with two CPUs. It did work with notepad, however, so I figured it might have something to do with wow config files. I took a look at WTF/Config.WTF and found this:

SET processAffinityMask "3"

Figuring it's a hex value, I changed it to "F" and whaddya know, all 4 CPUs active on start :p (Edit: After some further testing, I noticed the value is actually decimal, so replace the F with 15. If I sticked any text in there, it used all four CPUs so I got tricked since I didn't do any testing besides "F" :p)

If you can't find the command in your config file, I don't think adding it would hurt :p
    (Edit2: blergh, read this before you do http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...78017311&sid=1 (so you'll have someone else to blame when your pc explodes!))