Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 24

Default Why do you do it?

As a, ahem, normal player on magtheridon-us, alliance no less, i have to wonder, why do you multi-box?

what do you gain out of paying ~$150/mo subscription fees to play a multiplayer game...by yourself?

doesnt it get old?

wouldnt it be more of a challenge to solo things while...well...solo?

i've got to wonder what makes you guys spend the big money on multiple pcs, monitors, and subscriptions.

Default Re: Why do you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by layne
    As a, ahem, normal player on magtheridon-us, alliance no less, i have to wonder, why do you multi-box?

what do you gain out of paying ~$150/mo subscription fees to play a multiplayer game...by yourself?

doesnt it get old?

wouldnt it be more of a challenge to solo things while...well...solo?

i've got to wonder what makes you guys spend the big money on multiple pcs, monitors, and subscriptions.
    I wonder why you play with just one computer, monitor, and pc. Because its fun for you. This is what is fun for us, don't hate appreciate.

because its just a videogame.

i cant see spending thousands on multi setups and monthly fees to play a game alone.

in my videogame hobby, the most money goes towards my arcade collection. and i do so because theyre the games you get to play with other people the most, in person no less.

in my videogame hobby, the most money goes towards my arcade collection. and i do so because theyre the games you get to play with other people the most, in person no less.
    I'd say we are fairly similar, just much more selfish :-)

As a note, you don't *have* to spend a huge amount to get a multiboxing setup, a 5box could be run on a computer that costs <£1000
    Wilbur

Default Re: Why do you do it?

I'm an Achiever/Explorer with a rather limited play time.

I have reached the limit of content I can access solo and I really do not like to have to be dependant on others = wasting my precious time.

So the next step, for me, is multi-boxing.

I also really enjoy the planning and setup fase, tweaking stuff to improve my performance =)

Why do most people walk around with their eyes gazed at the horizon when others avert their gaze to the stars and try to get us to the moon? Those few, brave souls are what move us forward and what progress our species.

Simply because you feel that your way of playing is the best does not mean that everybody else agrees with you.
    The Zins - 10 Boxing
    Xzin, Azin, Bzin, Czin, Dzin
    Xyzin, Ayzin, Byzin, Cyzin, Dyzin
    Magtheridon - US

thanks for the civil replies guys.

i was expecting my post to go over as trolling and get some more replies like twowabarton's.

i guess i understand wanting to be able to explore the content without having to depend on other people. hell ive been looking for groups for a few days so i can get my kara chain done, and my guild is useless. :evil:

so yeah no hard feelings i hope.

i guess its just annoying when you get ganked by 5 people at once, wether its one or five people controlling em. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Xzin
    Why do most people walk around with their eyes gazed at the horizon when others avert their gaze to the stars and try to get us to the moon? Those few, brave souls are what move us forward and what progress our species.

Simply because you feel that your way of playing is the best does not mean that everybody else agrees with you.
    i never said one was better or righter than the other. i just asked why you would go to the lengths to do what you do. chill out man.

thanks for the civil replies guys.

i was expecting my post to go over as trolling and get some more replies like twowabarton's.

i guess i understand wanting to be able to explore the content without having to depend on other people. hell ive been looking for groups for a few days so i can get my kara chain done, and my guild is useless. :evil:

so yeah no hard feelings i hope.

i guess its just annoying when you get ganked by 5 people at once, wether its one or five people controlling em. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Xzin

i never said one was better or righter than the other. i just asked why you would go to the lengths to do what you do. chill out man.
    How in the hell was my post flaming you in anyway...I just said I multibox because its fun for me...and to stop the hate :wink:

why I am doing this?

Because I can.. 8)
    [align=center]
    Deutscher Multi-Boxing Blog mit Tutorials, Einleitungen, Hardware-Setups ....
    Klickt hier und ihr werdet erleuchtet: http://beyond-tec.blogspot.com
    [/align]

As you've seen from the replies so far, everyone has their own reasons.

My personal ones include the need to find something genuinely challenging in what is essentially a scripted game, and the fact that I'm still sulking over my perception of what TBC did to my raiding characters ("thanks for all the effort so far, now go and start all over again").

I expect to get over that just in time for the next expansion

I'm using my teams to see "old" instances completely end-to-end, in a way that it would just be impossible to get a group together for. It's really quite refreshing to see absolutely everything an instance has to offer instead of taking every possible short-cut to get to XYZ boss in the quickest possible time.

When I instance, it's nice knowing that nobody can screw up my plans with a sudden sulk or departure. Except me, obviously The quality of my play-time is actually improved by being able to pick and choose when I want to play with others, rather than having no choice.

And therein lies the clue: multi-boxing empowers me with choice.

Most importantly, perhaps, to the way in which your question was couched is that playing a multibox team is in absolutely no way mutually exclusive with normal raiding.

I'm certain that most of us have a "main" character that's used for raiding, and that main character is probably not part of a multibox team (although there's no reason why it couldn't be).

Indeed, I know that at least one person here is the guild master for a very large, very successful guild on a European server and spends tens of hours each week raiding whilst still having two successful 5-man teams of his own.

For some of us, $150 really isn't a great deal of money. I don't mean to be glib with that statement, because I also know that for some of us $150 is a significant chunk of money.

For me, personally, $150 is about what I spend on a three course meal at my favourite restaurant. With no wine. It's a quarter of one tyre on one of my cars. 30 - 45 minutes in the air with a club-hired aircraft in the UK (or about a week in the air at US rental rates ).

You get the picture. If I had to scrape the cash together, I simply wouldn't do it personally.

For many of us, there is no "playing alone" involved, either. Magtheridon is a great example of that. There's a vibrant, growing, community of multiboxers over there. They obviously provide a great deal of support to each other.

And, of course, not everyone five-boxes. Some are two/three boxers and will still be hooking up with people to do the tougher instances.

I'm glad that people bother to ask this sort of question in what appears to be a genuine way, because it gives us all a chance to actually think about it. I can't say I really had before.

Cheers.