Close
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Default Hardware Question

List o' Hardware

Outside a case to put it in and a PSU to power it, (I am having my buddy buy the case local and the PSU is already purchased), do you see anything wrong with this selection of components?

Not actually SLIing the video cards as a side note.
    [> Sam I Am (80) <] [> Team Doublemint <][> Hexed (60) (retired) <]
    [> Innerspace & ISBoxer Toolkit <][> Boxing on Blackhand, Horde <]
    "Innerspace basically reinvented the software boxing world. If I was to do it over again, I'd probably go single PC + Innerspace/ISBoxer." - Fursphere

My comments:

1. Newegg rocks.

2. How many characters on this box? If it is several, see comment #3...

3. Core2Quad 6600 isn't much more, just a thought. If you go this way look at #5 as well.

4. /agree with Fursphere unless you a hardcore FPS player.

5. 64bit Vista will let you actually use that 4gig of RAM a lot easier, my 32 bit version only sees 3 of my 4. You will have to make sure EACH piece of hardware has x64 drivers on the down-side.

6. Get two hard drives, (2x 200gig will give you the same space w/ RAID0) and run then as a RAID0 array, you will cut your access times drastically.

7. Your config is good, the above are just some suggestions, your machine is about the same as mine, except for I run RAID0, next step down for the video card, and use a Core2Duo E6420 IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Fursphere
    Why not the newer, cheap Geforce 8800 cards that are like 15% less powerfull, but 50% less expensive?

And I'm withhold my comments about Vista.
    Can you tell me which ones those are, I'm currently WAY out of date on what the newest cards are...

As for how many toons - most likely 1, however the guy LOVES FPS/RTS/Storyline games and doesn't want to buy another machine for 5 years or so... so just like last time, I'm having him go high end. The 15% for half the cash really strikes my interest though...

As for Vista, I'm offering him XP for free (his old install license) or the Vista OEM... I run vista on a very similar build to this and the only problem I have is that my video card isn't very vista friendly (7900gt).
    [> Sam I Am (80) <] [> Team Doublemint <][> Hexed (60) (retired) <]
    [> Innerspace & ISBoxer Toolkit <][> Boxing on Blackhand, Horde <]
    "Innerspace basically reinvented the software boxing world. If I was to do it over again, I'd probably go single PC + Innerspace/ISBoxer." - Fursphere

Only two comments:

1) Motherboard: Who is DFI? Why not go with MSI or Asus? Also, why bother with an SLI motherboard if you aren't using an SLI gfx card now? By the time you upgrade, a non-SLI card will probably be out that's faster than 8800 SLI is today. :P

2) I prefer WD or Maxtor drives over samsung for desktop 3.5" HDDs. I've just had better luck and seen better performance reports from QA teams than samsung, Seagate or Toshiba drives. For laptops, that flip-flops, interestingly enough.

Rest looks fine, though you can probably find a similar performance memory setup that's cheaper than the OCZ stuff, giving you a few extra bucks to spend on a better motherboard (like something with a 1066 FSB).
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Hey man, I've been looking at parts for a new comp for the last month or so. Here are some of the things I've found.

From everything I've read intel is a better bet than AMD at the moment. If you're a big AMD fan you might want to wait until the 19th. I think that is the date for the release of the new Phenom processor which will hopefully catch them up with intel.

If you're gonna buy right now, I'd suggest e6750 because it seems to be the sweetest price/performance point by far. http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16819115029

If you decide to go with intel, the p35 chipset is doing really well, and will support the new intel processors coming out in the next couple months. This mobo appears to be where its at for that:
    GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813128059

This is a non-sli mobo with no frills that seems to be doing really well. Good price as well. I think it has an sli enabled big brother, but I haven't looked at it. From what I remember reading, SLI doesn't work well with WoW (can anyone confirm or deny this for us?). And in general, I haven't really heard great things about SLI unless you plan to run a 30" display.

As for video card, as someone mentioned there is a new nvidia card out now the 8800GT (not GTX, not GTS). It comes in various flavors of overclocking. This card is doing much better than the current GTS and only slightly less than the GTX. The joy here? It only costs about $300. The price was SUPPOSED to be $250, but the thing is such a good deal that the demand is soaring and of course this gives the retailers free reign to jack up the prices. The best bet I've seen for getting an 8800GT is to order straight from EVGA. With factor settings it can be had for $270 up through a hefty overclocked model for $300 (the SSC model is on back order form evga, but the KO model is still there for $290)

If you want to save a couple bucks on ram you might check out http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820231098
    can get 4 gigs for $110. Seems to be pretty well enjoyed by neweggers.

As others have said, if you don't want your 4gigs of ram to go to waste you'll need to get a 64 bit version of windows. This has been a toss up in the past as the driver support in 64 bit land has been poor. Hopefully this has CHANGED, but I don't have experience.

This is just stuff I've come across. I don't actually own any of these parts, but I think these are the things I will buy when the time comes.

Just want to second/third the opinion of the NVIDIA 8800 GT.

IMO for the price there is simply no better card on the market.

Performance is just slightly less than the GTX cards for 1/2 the price.

It is not the fastest card, but it is the best price/performance out hands down.

One quick way to make sure you are looking at the right card is that it comes with 512meg of ram as opposed to 320 or 640 on the GTS/GTX cards.

The 8800GT outperforms the GTS, & is cheaper by half than the GTX for just slightly less performance.
    1Priest, 4Mages Qyx, Kwix, Aquix, Cquix, Quixar // 5 Shammies, Quixs, Quixas, Quixbs, Quixcs, Quixds // Quix Inc (Gurubashi PVP)