Close
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 36

Default Simple Dual Boxing FAQ / Wiki

I wanted to start a framework for a Dual Boxing "How To" Wiki/FAQ now that I have written up a lot about my setup. In researching dual boxing, I can clearly see the value of a simple "how do I even get started" Wiki/FAQ.

So - here goes.

Feel free to add to it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xzin's Dual Boxing How To FAQ

So you want to know how to Dual Box World of Warcraft? Perhaps you get tired of never getting heals, you want twice the firepower or simply get bored of playing "only" one character. If so, then this FAQ is for you.

Getting Started

Q: How do I even get started multiboxing?
    A: Simple. If you try running two copies of WoW, the game will crash - probably. This trips a lot of people up. The non-technical / slightly inaccurate reason is the game does so because you can't store all of the games information in files that would change from copy to copy (settings, macros, etc). So the simple solution is to copy your ENTIRE WoW directory (all 7.5 gigs or so). Rename it something that makes sense, like World of Warcraft Box 2 and then copy the shortcut to the desktop. Launch it just like you would the other copy. Leave the WoW.exe file alone. You now have two copies of WoW running on a single machine.

Q: What hardware requirements are there?
    A: Fortunately, WoW is a pretty light game when it comes to needing the latest and greatest hardware. You can run two copies of WoW at acceptable framerates on a single core processor. Make sure if you are going to dual box on a single machine that you have AT LEAST a gig of ram and you take special notice to your graphics settings. No need to go crazy here - set them to the minimum first and see how playable it is for you. WoW will even run well enough on a laptop with an integrated graphics card - but don't expect to be able to dual box on a single machine this way as the video card will not be powerful enough on any laptop with a normal integrated graphics card. On a desktop system, dual cores are perfect as Windows will automatically assign each copy to a dedicated processor. Your choice of a video card is important. I highly suggest nVidia for their windows and linux support and certain features that ATI/AMD just do not offer. In short, if you have either single computers that each can run WoW on their own - OR a dual core system with at least a gig of ram, an nVidia 6 series (6600 GT, 6800, etc) video card then you have the basics of what it takes hardware wise to multibox.

Q: How expensive is it?
    A: You can go as far as you would like, but strictly speaking any computer (even a decent laptop) will work as a second computer. With the right configuration and programs, no extra hardware is required.

Q: Is Dual Boxing Legal?
    A: Without getting into the EULA argument as to whether or not violating a EULA (if a EULA even holds up) is "breaking the law" - the short answer is that dual boxing is perfectly fine. In fact, once you start dual boxing you become Blizzards best customer. Think about it - you increase their subscriber numbers, you double what you pay them each month and you have to buy two copies of the expansion. As long as you avoid using bots or obvious third party programs (like Glide, etc) then you will/should be fine. I can make no promises as they can ban anybody for literally any reason they choose but I have been multiboxing 5 characters for over two years now and despite being reported dozens if not hundreds of times by misinformed alliance, no action has been taken against any of my accounts.

Q: What quirks will I come across?
    A: The biggest one is the way nVidia handles multiple DirectX/OpenGL games running on separate monitors. I highly suggest a wide screen monitor with at least 1680 x 1050 resolution if you want to run two copies of WoW on a single machine. In my experience, frame rates suffer significantly when you run two games in a window on separate heads of the same video card. Running them on the same head (port) of the same video card works fine. As an example, on my quad core system with three 8800GTX video cards, WoW runs at a constant 60 fps (its capped). When I run a second instance on the same port, it stays at 60 and the new WoW also stays at 60. When I move one of the screens across to the other port, (on the same video card) then the framerate drops to the low 30s on both copies of WoW. This is despite being literally the top consumer graphics card you can buy right now. This might be a driver issue isolated to the 8800 series but somehow I doubt it. If you can afford one of the 24, 27 or 30" widescreen monitors - those are perfect for running two copies of WoW from. The 24 and the 27" models also include a picture by picture option, enabling you to run a second computers output and display two computers (two copies of WoW) on one monitor, side by side - in case you want to upgrade to that later. Note that the 30" does not offer this option.

Running two copies of WoW on two computers will completely bypass this problem and help with saving the account names, etc.

Q: So how do I send keys to two copies of WoW running on a single machine?
    A: This used to be impossible to do but with the advent of dual core processors and better graphics cards it is now quite possible. Simply use an open source program called AutoHotkey. You can read more about it here: http://www.dual-boxing.com/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=17

AutoHotKey is an application that allows you to send a keystroke to more than 1 client on the same PC.

http://www.autohotkey.com/

For those planning on dual-boxing with just 1 PC this may be the application for you. Being able to push keystrokes on 1 screen and it sending the same to the other greatly enhances the effectiveness.
    Although it does take a bit to set up, this is an example of setting up the "2" key to be sent to both World of Warcraft clients.

There is another program called Keyclone that while not free, may offer a better and "more" legal version that combines the functionality of AHK and Multibox together.

[code:1]
    WinGet, wowid, List, World of Warcraft

~2::
    KeyWait 2
    IfWinActive, World of Warcraft
    {
    ControlSend,, 2, ahk_id %wowid1%
    ControlSend,, 2, ahk_id %wowid2%
    Return
    }
    [/code:1]

Q: How do I send commands only to one computer or WoW instance?
    A: Setup your macros such that one instance of WoW has non overlapping macros. For example, if you normally press 1 to cast a fireball but you are also dual boxing a warlock, you would want to change the warlocks casting bar to perhaps alt 1. That way you can avoid overlap and only cast the spells you want.

Q: Ok, I have two computers and I am running WoW on both. But I want to be able to use the same mouse and keyboard. Can I do that?
    A: Yes, you sure can. Use an open source utility called Synergy.

Synergy, an open source software application that allows you to control multiple PC's through TCP/IP (your network).

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

http://dualbox.novembear.com/ (includes Broadcasting of Keystrokes, mirrored by Mooglemayhem)

I personally use this application and love its functionality. Allows you to seamlessly transition from 1 PC to another simply by moving your mouse to that screen or through the use of hotkeys. Once you've moved over to another PC your keyboard and mouse have complete functionality.

Each PC does require it's own monitor, it just enables you to control all with 1 keyboard and mouse. Setup time does take a bit, but is well worth the time spent.

Synergy by default does not handle mouse look very well. It makes you spin around so fast that you can't use the mouse to move your character by default. But there is a simple fix for that that involves changing a few options.

See: http://www.dual-boxing.com/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=392

More to come when I learn more about Multibox and Autohotkey and have some spare time to devote to fleshing this out a bit more. Please, feel free to add to it.

Xzin,

I have a quick question about going the single computer software route. I ask because as you know I’m about to go the hardware route. That being pretty expensive. I have a really nice main machine. I feel it would be possible to run 4 (maybe 5) copies all but (the main) one on max low settings.

This route could save me a lot of money. But how would Blizzard and its program Warden feel about auto hotkey and synergy once they perform a scan? What I’m really asking here is would I be up the crick with out a paddle when it’s detected?

As a two boxer it’s easy to be unnoticed. But when you’re strolling around with a small zerg someone notices hehe
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP9...AlyRcyYCHA-3ew
    Due to Blizzards position on Hong Kong, money > freedom. I stopped playing.

Synergy is benign. It can't script, bot, repeat, anything. People use it all the time. I use it to admin boxes. No concerns there.

AHK.... not as much. I doubt it would be a problem but it is hard to say because it could be used to script. I can elaborate more later but its a bit risky. I am pretty staunch about hardware only being the best but its expensive and there are cheaper methods that don't give up too much. I thought about going software only but there were too many downsides (for me and my goals). Perhaps running them all in virtual machines, so Warden can't know about AHK or the other WoW copies? Performance hits though.

4 copies of WoW on 1 machine is pushing it - quad core 4 gigs of memory and a 8800gtx with max settings? Sure. Single core, 1 gig, 6200 geforce? Hah.

Default hmm

Forgive me if i sound noobish. Before i start, i appreciate everyone taking time out and writing their experiences. My question, when using autohotkey how am i able to target the same target as the main toon? Can this be done with an addon? etc. I did not see mention to this anywhere, but i am still reading.

Thanks,
    Joe

All you do is write an in game macro....

'/target maintoonname
    /assist'

or i think just '/assist maintoonname' works

hi there, i've actually got a simple question as well. It wasn't exactly clarified to me with Xzin's initial post, so i hope someone can clear it up for me.

I'm interested in basically running 2 (only 2 i know T.T) accounts of WoW simultaneously on my one PC with only one 24" Dell Widescreen LCD.

I'm pretty sure my system specs are up to par for doing this.

I've got a e4300 running at 2.8 stable
    bfg 8800gts 640
    and 2 gigs of ddr2 400.

Is it possible to dual box with only one graphics card? or will i need to have two graphics cards to do this (on one monitor)? Or do i need 2 monitors to be able to do this?

I know there are progs out there to enable me to use one keyboard and one mouse to control both. But i don't exactly know what i'm doing as of yet.

Any pointers to be able to play 2 toons effectively would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Easily done using KeyClone for example, you don't even need the other WoW running full screen, minimised is fine. Your hardware is more than capable of running 2 or more copies at the same time

would that basically be just having one person autofollowing me at all times and then i'd have to actually alt tab just to cast a heal on my main guy, and then having to alt+tab again to manage the dps on the main guy?

I'm not sure if that's how it would work.

I would kinda like it so that i would be able to kinda press a button on my G15 (one of the programmable ones on the left hand side), to switch between different keyboard and mouse controls for each character so i would be able to control em both without having to alt tab so much.

Once again, i'm a total noob to how this all plays out, so i am probably just spewing a whole bunch of nonsense.

Thanks again

Check out the threads and posts about KeyClone

Good one to start:

http://www.dual-boxing.com/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=616

thanks so much, i appreciate it.