Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Dual Combos

Default Dual Combos

I am new not only to dual boxing but to warcraft as well. I do not even have any toons over 30. I am wondering about combos for duals however. I have read through every single post on this great forum but still have a question. Will I gimp myself in the later levels if I go with same class combos vs. class/healer. I have been doing mage/mage, hunter/hunter and warlock/warlock and having a blast, will I be in trouble though if I continue this later or would I be smart to change to something like Warlock/Priest. Thanks for whatever advice you can pass on, I am just wanting to make a smart longterm, fun decision.

I personally prefer mixing my duos/trios up so I have more than 1 class lvl'd up, there's no rush in levelling, and I get to learn to play 2 classes at once. Try and vary which one you use as "main" and follower now n then too, if your setup/UI allows it, helps enjoy it more, and you learn more about playing both classes.

fyi, I'm talking PVE only in this post...

Rogues, Warriors and Warlocks are amazing with a healer as the only thing that causes them downtime is low health, make sure the healer on follow has plenty of regen, have them throw some dots/shocks/auto attack/wand a little and heal the main, and you can grind forever!

Any class will benefit like this from a healer class though, means soloing elite quests alot easier...

Combos I've tried that work for me so far:

-Warrior+Priest (any healer rocks though...)
    -Hunter+Shadow Priest (lvl 30 so far) leave him in normal form, throw some heal over times (hots) and dots on the mob
    -Lock+priest (as warrior)

I want to lvl:

Druid+rogue: I'll use the druid as a balance spec, but in caster form to throw heals on the rogue, and help dps. Also the chance of stealth x 2 is too much
    Warrior+pali
    Mage+pali or priest for AoE grinding

I have a lvl 70 lock and a lvl 54 Shaman, not sure what else I want to do yet

You don't need a healer.

Every class can solo through the game so any same-class duo can and will work well. You may not get the optimal synergy depending on the class you choose. I'd stay away from two melee char just cause positioning can be a pain. Two hunters and two warlocks have great synergy though. Two shadow priests would work great too. Mages would be good if you spec'd for mana efficiency. A feral/caster druid would be great.

If you want to mix up the classes, I'd worry about what classes you want to play, which you can control, and how well they synergise. The only tough pairing would be two-melee just because of control problems. I'd maybe avoid contrasting styles like mage/warlock because one is DoT and the other is DD based. Some classes are awesome synergy like druid/rogue because they cover each others weaknesses brilliantly with no downside (you get dual-stealth).

Default Thanks

Thank you for both replies. I have been over thinking this choice for a couple days and even after playing each combo to 10 I am still no closer to a decision... I know I want to have two seperate sets that I am leveling and my question is which SET of pairs would fair the best...

Mage+Mage
    Warlock+Priest

OR

Mage+Priest
    Warlock+Warlock

Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x82nd
    Mage+Mage
    Warlock+Priest

OR

Mage+Priest
    Warlock+Warlock
    This all comes down to personal preference, really. They will -all- work just fine.

Mage/priest is probably the most awkward pairing of the group (assuming shadow priest). Warlock/Warlock is probably the best pairing followed by Warlock/Priest.

Personally, I'd do the bottom one just because I'd hate the idea of mage/mage. Mages already have some downtime issues and I'm not sure how much dual-mages alleviate that.

Default Re: Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalih
    Mage/priest is probably the most awkward pairing of the group (assuming shadow priest). Warlock/Warlock is probably the best pairing followed by Warlock/Priest.
    Dunno about boxing, but a mage doing AE's and a holy priest spam healing was awesome when I was leveling my mage.

Do NOT underestimate the synergy of a paladin+mage combo. Check this out:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iwcnASeLVhE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u4_7TG5YAVY
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Quote Originally Posted by Ughmahedhurtz
    Do NOT underestimate the synergy of a paladin+mage combo. Check this out:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iwcnASeLVhE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u4_7TG5YAVY
    I do something like that, with my pally and 4 holynova priests, just with elites in botanica :P

anyway, my favorite duo would be shadowpriest + lock. Perfect synergy;

- One can res, other can soulstone the one that res
    - Lock boosts the priests dmg with curse of shadows
    - Priest boosts the locks dmg with shadow weaving
    - Warlock gets hp from priests vampiric embrace, and can lifetap more frequent
    - both have dots, you could probaly kill most non-elites by fire-and-forget with all your dots.
    - Both have aoe-fears that can be castsequenced, very good when you have dotted up several mobs
    - Priests staminabuff is great for locks.

Default feeling

I am getting the feeling that mage+mage is not that good of a combo compared to a few of the others mentioned... Maybe I will rethink things a bit then. I just thought 2X the fire power would make for quick kills.

Mages are squishy and can't res, so you better hope that 2x firepower kicks in and kills things fast enough. The only synergy two mages bring that I can think of is if they are both frost, for double the freeze time for extra crits. Two sheep might be useful in some situations.

If you want two of the same class, I'd suggest go with priest, warlock, or shaman. In the end, choose whatever you will enjoy the most. If you aren't sure, try different combinations. I'd suggest staying away from using two melee classes simply because positioning can be annoying, especially against things that move.