Close
Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: WoW clients

Default WoW clients

Hello, I have a question.. Is it better to have 2-3 clients of WoW Install on the same pc or use the same one for all the toons your multi boxing?

I use one install, but copy everything except the data folder into new directories. I use symlinks to point to the original folder. This saves me a ton of disk space, but allows me to configure each instance's settings separately.

As far as performance goes, you'd probably see some small improvement if you had multiple installs on separate physical drives. On the same drive, I don't think there'd be much difference with one or five installs.

To create a symlink in XP, I used software called NTFS Links (http://alax.info/blog/ntfslinks).

You just copy over everything except the data folder into a new folder ("World of Warcraft 2", in my case.) Drag and drop the data folder with the RIGHT mouse button and select "Create soft link here." There's a screenshot on that webpage that explains it pretty succinctly. Now when you patch your main WoW install the data files get updated on all your other installs automatically, you only have to copy over the root directory files (wow.exe, launcher.exe, etc.. there's 7 files and only ~10m.)

Default RE: WoW clients

Quote Originally Posted by 'Onelazieguy',index.php?page=Thread&postID=103086# post103086
    Hello, I have a question.. Is it better to have 2-3 clients of WoW Install on the same pc or use the same one for all the toons your multi boxing?
    Use the Search facility and look for and of the following strings:

"multiple installations"
    "mutliple folders"
    ... in fact, pretty much any variation of your question will work.

Everything you need to know is already here. Many times over.