Close
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Showing results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: 2 boxing in FPS

lol I probably have bigger experience of controlling my body (I mean moving hands in different dirrections and such since I train it every week because the kind of sport I practice requires it time by time) then you and Sam alltogether.

And yes, I was playing with alt+tab some time so I know what is it and how it goes.

But well, looks like you have great multiboxing talent (O.o). So I hope you shows us some cool pvp video in a few monthes.
    Coffee Resurrects.

You aren't controlling two characters at a time when you alt+tab, just switching between the two very quickly.

Auto-attack won't kill a moving target, and leaving one on auto-attack while moving the other is controlling one character.

To accomplish what you want to accomplish, you might not need to control both at the same time, alt+tab might be enough. It seems what you want is simply real time control of two characters, and not anything specific in game though.

Default Humm

Im not saying you cannot give the illusion you are moving two characters similtanously but the fact is that you will only be looking at one screen at a time. And the hand that works with that screen will be moving while the other hand will not be ....

Granted you can look from one screen to the other faster then I can switch a single screen to another character, and Ill grant that you can, with a lot of practice, possibly use both hands on a controler equally good.

Nonetheless, there does not seem to be a controler that is also a mouse, that works like a normal mouse. Probably you can map mouse movement to keys but ... What would be nice is a programable keypad like the Fang that has a mouse on the bottom and can be moved like one. Or a keypad with a trackball in it.

And the practice part is like moving to a Quwerty keybaord from your regular one. Sure quarty keybaords allow faster typing but by the time you learn it as good as your current one it would be years.

Well there is a keypad with trackball:

http://www.b4udirect.com/home/produc...0518/TRUST.htm

I would say your best bet are two of these:
    http://www.dual-boxing.com/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=1324

In essence you have enough keys there to move your char and use all your abilities. You can also save some custom camera positions and hotkey them to do away with mouse look. This would allow you to move and act using only one hand per char.

On the note of other multiboxers controlling only one char at a time when using broadcasting or similar setups with all chars in one place, I think you can see it more as someone using five chars like one char. Usually mages or warlocks dont come with a 'xyzbolt' volley or a heal ability. You have the abilities of all chars at your fingertips, integrating them all into one control set is the challenge. Certainly, using a mouse per char to move, turn and click icons is not the way, which is why x-keys et al are so popular, more buttons for more abilities than one char alone has. Sure, in the moment when I press the prayer of healing button, it can be argued that I am playing the priest. But, what about when I am pressing my blast nova/hellfirex3/shield mage+prayer of healing button. What am I playing then? =]
    Captn's Log [PvP] 5x80 Elemental Shaman

Interesting! The combo trackball and gamepad might be what I'm looking for... Has anyone tried to use a small trackball like that to aim in an FPS before? Curious how it would handle.

I found this in another thread.

http://www.combimouse.com/How%20works.htm

It's basically a mouse with a keyboard on top. It looks so lame though dunno if I could bring myself to use it, haha. If I got two though I might be set =-P assuming you can custom map the keys.

Thanks for recommending the X7G100, but I'm looking for something that really does have mouselook. Movement with keys simply isn't fluid enough for me to have fun.

And to make it clear, and less debatable, lets change my goal from controlling movement for two characters at once, to having all of the controls for two characters movement right at my finger tips at the same time. Really that's all I need, learning how will happen, or not.

All you can do then is left handed + right handed mouse two different characters at the same time, unless you're willing to give up mouse movement. All thats left is finding mice with enough buttons for both hands.

There are other options, like joysticks, or one joystick and using a hat switch for controlling the second characters movement.

Two mice is not the only way it can be done, but it could very well be the best way.

Anyone know of a mouse that is either ambidextrous, or comes in a righty and lefty version that had 10+ buttons?

Guys,

there are a lot of naysayers in here Let the man try it...

Thaeds, what about an Xbox 360 controller? doesn't that have 2x joysticks on it?

from a multitasking point of view, I can sort of understand where you are coming from... I have trained up my peripheral vision (for motorbike racing) so that I can focus concentration on areas that are not in my centre of vision.

I personally find that the while I can coordinate my hands independently it take such a huge effort of concentration that for something like a game I would be utterly useless... perhaps with perseverance though that effort could be reduced sufficiently for me to actually enjoy the experience!

good luck in your quest and please update us with your progress

An Xbox controller does have two joysticks, but I think I could get a lot more buttons on two real joysticks, but I think that still might not be enough buttons, lol.

My current idea is a Nostromo N52 in my left hand, and a mouse in my right, using the Dpad on the nostromo for my 2nd characters movement, and the mouse/wasd on the nostromo keys for my primary characters movement.

This has the effect of fairly poor control of my 2nd character... only turn and back/forward movement, but it does allow me to have a decent number of hotkeys.

I will most likely be using a footpad for additional shift states, so that I can get enough buttons for both characters. Also, if I don't have mirror image control (read dual mice or dual joysticks) I will need a button to shift between characters, because my 2nd character will always have inferior control than my first.

I'm still really wanting to find a way for total control on both characters if anyone has any ideas =-). (and 20ish buttons!)

Right so I've discovered two items which might allow me to control two separate characters movements at once.

http://www.sandiotech.com/sandio_product.php

This is a mouse with 3 joysticks attached, made to work in 3d environments, providing typical X and Y axis that all mice have, as well as six other joystick style axis. 8 Axis in all, although the way it is set up, two of the axis are unable to be used at the exact same time... So really there are 6 axes always available, and one which sometimes is.

http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/spacenavigator.php

This device has six axis in all. All of its axis handle like a joystick though. This is a disadvantage, as everyone who has played an FPS knows that they play better with mouse control than xbox style (joystick control). Just lets you aim and turn quicker.

I am curious if it is even possible to have axis controls on these devices fall through to other games running on my PC. I assume if they can be programmed as keystrokes it would be possible, but aiming via keystrokes is suicide...

Anyway what do you guys think of these two devices for controlling two characters movement?