Close
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: 2 boxing in FPS

I'm really glad you mentioned JoyMouse. I might very well use it, but I still can't use two joysticks in one hand o_0. I was thinking maybe a joystick with a 4 or 8 way hat switch might be able to be used to control movement of my 2nd character, not as well as primary, but good enough to do basic positioning, so I can keep my other hand free for a gamepad.

Other option is dual joysticks, but this limits me to the buttons on them, and requires me to find one with right and left handed versions...

Same problem for dual mice.

Been thinking about this for awhile and I'm not much closer to a decision than when I started.

Default Well....

You don't want to do two toons similtanously ... becuase you actullay won't be playing them actually similtanously, you will be looking at one screen or the other, not at both at the same time, and you will eaither be using you right hand or your left hand but not both at the same insant, like the way you type you think you are using both hands but in fact you are using one at a time.

What you really want is one set of controls but the ability to switch between characters almost instantly ... kinda like what I have ...

28 BoXXoR RoXXoR Website
    28 Box SOLO Nalak 4m26s! Ilevel 522! GM 970 Member Guild! Multiboxing Since Mid 2001!

I remember you from EQ sam =-). Legend!

I dunno though! You don't think with enough practice I would be able to? From the times that I used to box 3-4 characters with alt tab, I would be casting something on one character and simultaneously wish that I could move my others, and do stuff on them... I kinda have the feeling that I would be able to.

Regardless if I COULD though, if I can't find a way to do it well, and with enough buttons, there really is no point. Having access to buttons is more important than having access to strafe on both chars at the same time =-(.

So Sam, assuming that I was only going to do two characters, what is the best way to instantly switch between them? I haven't bought the computers yet, so I could have two separate ones, or just one. Whatever works best...

Really my main concern is being able to play both characters as naturally as possible. I have no ambition of trying to box an army without ever tabbing to my "drones". I want to be in total control (or as close to it as I can) of both characters at once. Most likely I will be playing a healer and a tank in FPS style RPG PVP (have to aim most spells). So instant switching, if I HAVE to switch between them, is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaeds
    I dunno though! You don't think with enough practice I would be able to? From the times that I used to box 3-4 characters with alt tab, I would be casting something on one character and simultaneously wish that I could move my others, and do stuff on them... I kinda have the feeling that I would be able to.
    you dont understand... when you alt tab you control ONE character in time. Sure, you can think that would be nice to move/control other in the same time. But this is only in your mind. Actually, your mind is one thing, your body and its possibilities is another.
    I wish I could control my 5 characters in the same time, I can actually do it in my mind but also I understand that it is impossible for my body.
    Coffee Resurrects.

I'm more likely to insist on it if you tell me it's impossible, because regardless of whether or not you can do it, I know I could.

And yes, I would very likely only "mentally" control one character at a time. But the fact is, deciding to use a spell only takes a fraction of the time that casting it uses, so while casting with one I could move or begin casting with the other. Maybe I would never simultaneously decide to turn left on one char, and cast heal on the other, but as my second character is casting heal, and is busy, I can move the first left, a lot faster than if I had to alt tab between them. I can deal with 1/10th of a second delay in "decision" time.

The fact is, it doesn't matter if it's possible or not, because I would need to be able to do it while having access to at least... 40 buttons for each character... That I'm not sure is possible. I don't mind using shift states, but like I said, having my abilities at my finger tips is more important than having a second strafe there.

Just had a new idea... What do you think about one joystick in my right hand, awesome gamepad in my left hand, with keystrokes falling through to both characters, and the hat switch on the joystick controlling my second character, but when I hit a button it shifts, and then the joystick controls my other character, and the hat switch controls the first?

This way I have access to both characters all the time, and a gamepad... The only downside is that I have good access to one character, and kinda lame to the other (can't aim with both, and likely can't strafe with 2nd character) But I could always switch!

I've never used a joystick to control a character in an FPS game, I read up on them, and some people like 'em, but most think they suck compared to a mouse... Dunno if it's just preference or if they are actually significantly worse.

Anyway it would be nice if you guys would help me with some ideas instead of these useless arguments on whether or not you think I can move two characters at once.

I'm more likely to insist on it if you tell me it's impossible, because regardless of whether or not you can do it, I know I could.

And yes, I would very likely only "mentally" control one character at a time. But the fact is, deciding to use a spell only takes a fraction of the time that casting it uses, so while casting with one I could move or begin casting with the other. Maybe I would never simultaneously decide to turn left on one char, and cast heal on the other, but as my second character is casting heal, and is busy, I can move the first left, a lot faster than if I had to alt tab between them. I can deal with 1/10th of a second delay in "decision" time.
    rrright ^^ thats what I mean. You dont control them in the same time, you control one, then switch to another, then back to first. The biggest problem will be to move in right directions.

Also you will never be able to kill 2 moving targets, 1 for each character.
    Coffee Resurrects.

Auto attack, and moving one character at a time would do this easily.

How long have you been boxing again? I can fucking kill two moving NPCs at a time on two separate characters using alt tab. It's not hard.

Auto attack, and moving one character at a time would do this easily.

How long have you been boxing again? I can fucking kill two moving NPCs at a time on two separate characters using alt tab. It's not hard.
    good luck killing a person in pvp with autoattack and moving one character in time. You will die faster then found out that your 2nd character is facing wrong way

also if it even would be npc aka mob with pretty heavy hits, it will kill your autoattacking character easy. I mean if u stay autoattacking and sometimes use abilities, you will more likely die soonish...

after all, I only can imagine your effectiveness in killing enemies with such "autoattack and moving one character in time"...

I am boxing a few monthes. Does it matter?
    Coffee Resurrects.

... You claimed it's impossible to kill two moving "targets" at once. Obviously you are wrong. Stop trying to wiggle out of it.

Yes it matters, because it's apparent that you do not possess the same talent for it that most of the boxers I know do. For some reason you act like it's insanely hard to control movement for two characters, and in reality it's not. It seems to me this could be due to lack of experience boxing. I'm pretty sure I'm right as well - especially if you are using the "master" "slave" setup that most people use now, with one character controlled, and the rest on autofollow.

Alt Tabing gives you a better idea what controlling two characters is like movement wise.

So basically, you have no idea what you're talking about, so give up.

Sam on the otherhand has been boxing for years, and while I know he doesn't alt tab, I'm sure his significantly larger amount of experience, and more sophisticated controls make up for this. So do me a favor, and stop cluttering up my thread.