Close
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Showing results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: 2 boxing in FPS

Quote Originally Posted by Xzin
    What happens when you respawn at a COMPLETELY different part of the map?
    he meant those characters locate in even different locations :P
    Coffee Resurrects.

Lefty mousing is pretty easy to pickup. I've been doing it for years at work with 2 computers.

With a FPS game, this should be fairly easy as long as your mouse has enough buttons ... or you enjoy using your nose to hit keys on your keyboards.

I really don't see why you wouldn't be able to play two characters in the same map in an FPS. It would take a great deal of concentration, but I can see it being done (and i'm intrigued enough to try it). Now, different maps or even two different fps games is a whole other level of it that i would see as been damn hard to do.
    That's what I'm here for; sage, yet disturbing advice.

I used killing different people in different locations as an example. I would spend 90% of my time with my two characters side by side.

But yes, the reason that I want to do this is because of the challenge, and because, honestly, normal boxing doesn't do it for me. I'm sure some of you know the feeling that I talk about when I say I love it when there are three things that need to be done at exactly the same time, and you manage to execute it perfectly. Well normal boxing works fine for this 90% of the time, but if you need to move two characters at once, or target two different mobs at once, you can't really do it.

Anyway, I need some suggestions on how to make this work!

I had an idea... what if I find a joystick that has like, another little joystick on the thumb part? The main joystick could operate one character, and the mini joystick on my thumb could operate the other... Then I could have a gamepad in my left hand, with shift states and I'd be set!

I'd rather have two separate movement controllers, but then I lose access to a gamepad...

Maybe controlling both characters movement with one hand, and skills/casts with the other is the way to go, anyone know of some hardware that would make this possible? (Again, must be able to move both seperately!)

Alright check this out!

http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/1/AGS/AG...dragonplus.htm

It's like a one handed Nostromo that has two Dpads and two Joysticks on it.

What about that in my right hand, controlling movement of both characters, and maybe some minor functions, and then a real gamepad in my left hand for spells/skills?

2 joysticks and 2 D pads seems like enough, if it's possible to get them to operate on mouselook, instead of keypresses anyway... maybe not =-(

Thinking back to my Team Fortress days, I have a sneaking suspicion that you'd get BBQ'd by people playing one character. The only exception I can think of is someone playing static defense, like flag/base entry protection with an engineer and a demoman. Sniper+scout would be nigh unplayable as it's hard enough to hit someone with the sniper when they're jinking as is.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

I'm not playing a FPS though =-) I just want to have more movement control of my 2nd character than most people who box do.

If you can stack macros up on two keys, you could probably get away with it. I'd still think the cognitive dissonance would get you killed more often than not. There's a reason most people who play more than one prefer to multi than to control each. I did two-boxing like you're talking about for a while with a hunter and shaman but it ended up being a serial thought process for me. I could move the mouse over a big button and basically click it when I needed a heal but doing complicated stuff just needed too many keys and far too much positioning/strafing/etc.

For me, the benefits to fine-grain control over both was far outweighed by having the keys all on one kb/mouse and just having the 2nd guy on follow and /assisting me. Not to mention that it sped up my killing quite enough to make up for the extra time it took to mouse over to the other guy and loot stuff.

[edit] BUT, if you're dead set on doing this, may I suggest pet classes? Hunters and warlocks do well at this as they can DPS without having to maintain melee range and can control PVE mobs well with the pet taunts. In PVP, I wish you the best of luck. :P
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

You said that you did this? What setup did you use?

I am likely going to play a tank and a healer.

Really the cognitive dissonance is the reason that I'm doing it. I'm pretty positive that I will love that feeling, based on my previous boxing experience, switching between characters and moving them, I learned to recognize where each was quickly, it wasn't hard to keep track of 3-4 at the same time, switching between, I think I can do two simultaneously with practice.

Really all I need are good ideas for the input! Dual mice might be the only way to get what I want, but obviously that has a lot of restrictions, so I am open to ideas... I typically play with ~40 buttons per character, not including non essential buttons, which I'll have a keyboard for.

So what do you guys think about input options? Lets just assume I will one day be able to handle the characters, for now.

Joysticks would look pimp, dunno if they can have the same functionality that I need though.

Response to the dragonplus:

Get a pelican ps2>usb converter(others work but many have lag with some controllers) and joy2key and you can use any playstation controller. Directions will activate button presses on both press and release, so beware of using it with macros aren't spamproof. You can also get a usb tweaker program to cut down on the input timing, but it isn't necessary. I only use it for fighting games where timing is very important.

You're probably better off with an x-keys pro and putting half of it for one character and half for the other though. For combat-related purposes a mouse is only needed for looting. It helps with targeting but that can be done through hotkeys.

there is a free utility called joymouse that will allow a joystick to act as a mouse... never saw a use for it but it might help you out...

I imagine that something like nostromo with an analog joystick and this utility is probably your nirvana