PDA

View Full Version : Octopus 1.3.8a - .NET / C++ Hybrid Boxing Software

skarlot
06-25-2008, 04:52 AM
If your only looking for a KM my new project is Interbox - software KM switch ('http://www.dual-boxing.com/forums/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=14946'). Octopus's KM has some positioning error from time to time (can jump a screen).

This is a GUI based KM + key/click/cursor multi window caster basically. It is a server/client in one EXE for maximum response on the server, whilst extending the same functionality to additional clients. The design is such that as much configuration as possible is done on the server. No coding/scripting is required!!

It is now the first application to multicast the cursor to multiple WoW's (per client) via an injected DLL, if you are game :evil:. See The wiki ('http://www.dual-boxing.com/wiki/index.php/Octopus') for more info. Multiple cursors in WoW on one machine are only visible by setting WoW to software cursor mode. The instance set to receive cursor is the target of the real cursor on each client.

- KM: spans the mouse n keyboard over multi PC's, like Synergy, and others. Supports multiple displays and splitting span modes + 5 mouse buttons!.
- Broadcasting: Sends keys, clicks, and cursor position (1 broadcast cursor per client) to assigned windows over all clients. A related GM post. ('http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=5288579356&postId=52352771034&sid=1#2')
- Profiles: List of games to run with maximizer settings.
- Multiple key and click lists that switch with the profile.
- Click/key/wheel to key mapping (at server level).
- Theme-able GUI designed in/for Vista/Aero.
- Sounds alerts for different toggles.
- Pass through key list (eg. volume controls, vent, etc) .
- Clipboard sharing: automatically copies text content to every client when it changes.
- Remote control: Wake on LAN list and shutdown/restarts.
- PiP: Switch window positions via a key bind per instance.
- 32 bit build but works in x64.
- Triggers windows inbuilt focus-follow-mouse functionality whilst playing.
- Optionally installable mouse filter driver for supporting games that use DirectInput for mouse (not WoW, EQ for example). Vista 64 is not supported for it requires signed drivers.
- Optional DLL (I call WoWhook) to inject into WoW to allow simultaneous cursor/clicks to multiple windows per client.
- New: 1.3.6: Tracks instance status over machines.
- New: 1.3.7: OSD (on screen display) window.

My web page (http://www.skarlot.net/octopus)
My setup guide ('http://octo.sourceforge.net/')
A 1.3.2 setup guide (from ('http://www.dual-boxing.com/wiki/index.php/Octopus_Tutorial')Ughmahedhurtz) ('http://www.dual-boxing.com/forums/index.php?page=User&userID=843') - initial setup detailed.

Download:
http://hosted.filefront.com/SkarlotMultibox/ has ZIPS with the old webpages in them which will be off line soon.
From http://www.skarlot.net/download. (the requirements .NET and VCR2008 are both Service Pack 1 now).

Changelog - http://www.skarlot.net/download/octopus_changes.txt

Vista: 'Run as administrator' is probably advised (especially when using an admin account with UAC) and required for the keyclone anti double keying. Things like config not saving have been reported without. Also unzipping under c:\program files\ may have problems with security settings writing to the folders within.

Networking: requires UDP (from server to client) and TCP (client to server) on the specified port.

Thulos
06-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Added a pass-all keys toggle (temporary thing).
Thank you so much for adding this feature. Out of curiousity why is it a temporary thing? And finally when can we expect a beta of this release? I'd love to help test it right now for the quoted feature alone.

skarlot
06-26-2008, 12:20 AM
sorry to move the thread around, I don't want release threads stickied, but to answer your question here..... thinking of implementing an event system that will produce the same function.
already posted on my site.. see topic. ^^

Thulos
06-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Not sure if you want beta feedback in here or not, but after installing the vc redist, 3.5 framework and 1.33 I get the following error launching octopus on both of my computers.

System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Void Octopus.Components.Client.add_PerformUpdate(System .EventHandler)'.
at Octopus.MainWindow..ctor()

skarlot
06-27-2008, 02:08 AM
ok 2nd time i've read this missing method shit with the installer - so now its back to ZIP's. i really have no idea, but one less factor is always a good thing.

Thulos
06-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks, .zip worked fine. Now i'm getting some wierd stuck shift states that i can't seem to free up when i try to setup click broadcasting. Using shift for both cursor and click broadcasting and funky stuff is going on. can't seem to get them unstuck. Not sure if i'm doing something wrong or not.

skarlot
06-28-2008, 02:24 AM
Theres a problem sometimes when developing where it won't click anything at all, and I have to CTRL-ALT-DELETE/taskman but i think thats something beyond right...

il have a play around next week. what if you map shift to shift before you set as a toggle? then it will pass through at least....?

oh and itd be better for bugs to go in release threads, and save this for any requests etc... im just trying to avoid the one-super-mega-long-thread, which is a hideous reference.

Headstrong
06-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi there,
I just started using Octopus today, and im trying it out on Dark age of camelot (free shards) before i invest in some more wow accounts, so i dont waste time/money learning it while paying for the accounts. Now my i managed to send commands to all the cmd windows like in your tutorial, but now when i try with dark age of camelot it wont work. The clients have the [k] and [c] next to them but they arent doing anything.

im confused :E

thanks in advance for the help.
headstrong

Ughmahedhurtz
06-30-2008, 11:30 AM
I just tested this with DAoC last week and it worked fine for me (version 1.3.2). You'll probably have to make sure the DAoC Windows have focus. I did this with one copy of DAoC on each of 4 machines.

newbii
07-03-2008, 04:34 AM
Been reading some on dualboxing and i wanted to tryit out.
But it seems that the link to http://www.skarlot.net/octopus doesent work :( getting a "page load error" .

Edit: Seems like our company´s fw´s are the source to the "evil" . went around it and got it. Thanks.

skarlot
07-03-2008, 05:06 AM
it's up n running least from here

cloudfj
07-15-2008, 12:37 AM
DISREGARD THIS; I SUCK COCKS

Ughmahedhurtz
07-15-2008, 01:10 AM
where is the download?where is the download?where is the download?where is the download? http://l00py.net/phpbb/images/smiles/eh.gif http://l00py.net/phpbb/images/smiles/arg.gif Look up top. Click "Dual-Boxing.com Community Forum." Click in search box. Type "octopus download." Be amazed at the usefulness of the very first link. Or maybe even click the link in the sig directly above your post?!?!? http://l00py.net/phpbb/images/smiles/banghead.gif

MykeAndrews
07-17-2008, 02:36 PM
I noticed a post saying that it works with DAoC as long as the window is in focus and therefore on multiple computers. So it's not possible to use it if you run two instances of DAoC on one system? That would apply, as well, to CoH, right? Is there a reason why it worked for CMD (during the tutorial) but not for more complex programs?

Today I am glad I shaved my head yesterday... between KeyClone and Octopus, I'd be ripping my hair out!

Ughmahedhurtz
07-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Myke, the reason it doesn't work with certain programs is that they stop "listening" to mouse/keyboard events when they lose focus. WoW doesn't have that "feature" so it works fine here. :P

blackjoop
07-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Hi there, is it possible to get an older Version of octopus which works with win 2000 also ?
I have heard the 1.07 worked without the Framework 3.5... so it normally should do it witk win 2k ?!? I dont need mousesupport i just want to send keys ...
On win2000 i tryed the compact Framework 3.5 but it also dont work :(
I dont want to get win XP, i like my win2k ;)
But i seen the programm on a friend of mine, and i liked it !
Or is there any other possibility to get octopus running on 2k ?
THX!

skarlot
08-13-2008, 11:18 PM
1.3.5e
Stopped clicks appearing as empty entries to the keylist.
If an instance has a maximizer, the config.wtf will be automatically modified to window mode.
Custom config.wtf variables will override any automatic ones.

I have a G15 and XKey-s Pro now, done some quick testing, this is what I found:

G15 (gaming keyboard, orange light): No problems with modifier keys (left or right), keys appear just like the actual key itself. No problem with Key assignment or macro mode. I'm going to leave this issue for my new project where it will be easier to handle. My understanding is maybe there is a problem with other country layouts, or another G15 model.

Xkeys: nice little device, bit SLOW in terms of touch response, but otherwise a huge improvement for 5 boxing. The problem with the arrow keys is: The MacroWorks software (2) doesn't inject scan codes that align with the actual arrow keys (why not, is anyones guess) on the keyboard but instead manipulates the num lock state and uses the arrows on the numpad. This just complicates things because it's only going to detect the state for the Xkey-'s connected PC.

lachinois
08-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Would it be possible to add or parse the command string to be able to pass arguments?
Ex. I want to start an instance of [insert favorite MMORPG here] game with no sound, so I'd like to configure Octopus to start gw.exe with the -nosound argument.
Currently, octopus will read the entire command box as the command to run, so gw.exe -nosound will try to execute just that and fail with "file not found".

Maybe its possible and I'm doing something wrong, if so please let me know.

Lachinois

razi
08-16-2008, 03:41 PM
I'd like to know if there's a way to use mouse 5 separate from left and right clicks. I use m5 regularly for totemic call, but I only enable clicks for accept/completing quests and such. So, I can't have the mouse 5 function without enabling clicks.

skarlot
08-16-2008, 09:32 PM
I am trying to get a build together with cmd line arguments but I'm having serious trouble even building it right now - one of the tools I use for the GUI design has major issues. :cursing:

not as a click, but if you mapped right button to a key, then broadcast the key, AFAIK that will work. or put quest clicks on a modifier or something.

skarlot
08-18-2008, 10:21 PM
1.3.5f
Attempts to fix the problem with WoW not accepting any keyboard input.
Adds arguments to Games (untested, not applicable to instances with WoWhook!).
Corrected KVM text to KM.

lachinois
08-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the arguments! I'll try that as soon as get home :)

I have another quick question, I'm using octopus with guild wars (and it works great btw! nice work.) However, when guild wars starts, it opens up a first window to update the game, then closes that window and opens another window that is the real thing.

When octopus starts an "instance" of the game via the status panel (the main panel), I think it latches on the first window the instance starts, but in my case, it dissapears after a few seconds and its replaced with the real game window.

These window have the same title in the title bar, but do not have the same window class. I think that octopus latches on the first window that is popped up and then freaks out with an exception "cannot find handler" when it dissapears.

What I'm doing now is starting each client manually instead of via the status panel, thats works 100% (I guess that each time octopus sees a "guild wars" window, it relatches, but when its started via the instance panel, that doesnt work).

I'll try with the command arguments now and see if that fixes anything.

Lachinois

skarlot
08-20-2008, 10:29 PM
It is just launching the process and taking the main window handle via .NET, so I can't even say exactly what it's doing... it simply is not designed to support launchers and so on. The auto add windows kinda covers that, but then it adds default options to the windows. Expanding this to scan in other ways is probably not on the agenda, since I'm *trying* to move on from this project.

lachinois
08-21-2008, 11:51 AM
In what language is this built? If you don't mind, I can keep on maintaining it for some time. I'd love to implement the "round-robin" feature of keyclone.

Lachinois

skarlot
08-22-2008, 09:39 AM
well, it is in C# and C++ but I'm not leaving just yet, I have 2 new projects planned, and unless I win lotto, I don't wanna be competing with free deravitives of my own software. It' enough of a quandary what to do with it as is but I'm not putting the code out just yet. One thing I hope to achieve with my new proggy is allowing other developers to extend it (with custom controls).

ps I don't think you really wanna implement round robin, if you saw the code :P

n3ro
09-03-2008, 12:52 AM
HELP!
I´m from Germany and trying to use Octopus for my WOW Setup with 1 Dudu and 4 shami!
OK, now the problem! On my main pc (Vista) Octopus is running smoothly and all is ok! Just on my second PC (XP Prof.) the Octopus exe doesn´t start!
XP Reports a problem and must close the program!
Is here anybody who is able to help me? I´m using Octopus 1.3.5f

many thx for all responses!
rgds...n3ro

skarlot
09-03-2008, 11:35 AM
hey... did you install the VCR 2008 and .NET 3.5?

RogueLover
09-06-2008, 04:21 PM
great program! can't wait till your new ones get released!!

RogueLover
09-06-2008, 07:53 PM
I have a quick question. On the Server tab, what is the difference between "Passthru" and blacklisting keys?
I am using 1 machine and I don't want to have W, A, S, D sent to any of the other wow windows, so I can use them solely to navigate my main. Do I want to add those to the passthru list, or the blacklist?

-The blacklist I'm referring to is on the Server tab > Keys (without Whitelist checked)

skarlot
09-07-2008, 03:33 AM
passthru is like, if the mouse is on a 2nd PC, the keys will just go to the server instead. blacklist your lookin for :)

RogueLover
09-07-2008, 04:14 AM
ahhh. thanks!!

bbailey_23
09-09-2008, 02:54 PM
OK, the next person to make a writeup on anything needs to double space.. my eyes are bleeding now from reading the above install guides.

bbailey_23
09-09-2008, 03:27 PM
alright im not sure where to even begin to ask for help here.. iv been over bother user guides and im still at a loss here. 3 hours of messing with this thing and still nothing

from what i can tell iv got all my info in right to get started up here but i still am having troulbe connecting to locallhost.. any advise here?

Ughmahedhurtz
09-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Tell us about your system configuration. Need more info to even begin to guess where your problem is.

skarlot
09-09-2008, 09:50 PM
if localhost is dropping when you start the server then it's something that has been reported (once) but I havn't the time to solve it yet.. pretty much nothing will work. Basically its looking for a ping response every second, and drops after 10. If you have 2 PC's.. well you shouldn't be connecting the client to localhost... but to the server IP/hostname instead. localhost is a loopback reference to the local machine.

eagleeyee
09-11-2008, 08:00 PM
oh how do I upgrade from 1.3.5 to 1.3.5f I have saved all my variables in 1.3.5 :D

*update nevermind got it updated with all my settings*

VlyZy
09-13-2008, 12:47 AM
I can't connect via Octopus on either PC.

The network name is one of my issues, and I think having one PC being wired, while the other wireless.

I followed the instructions to a "T" (minus the other settings for more than two computers), also I didn't use "Work", but "Alt" (no quotes) and I got the error message on both PCs:

Failed to connect with localhost : 7612.

I skimmed through the instructions again and changed them to the SSID. Both computers have the same SSID, so when I clicked "Connect" in the "Status" tab (mind you I replaced localhost to the SSID name here too) I got:

Failed to resolve Belkin... : error 11004

Mind you Belkin is just part of the SSID name (the "..." is not part of it).

What am I doing wrong? Could it also be due to the fact that one computer is wireless and the other is not? Also I have two XP versions (Home on Desktop, Media Center on Notebook).

skarlot
09-13-2008, 05:55 AM
Firstly, it should accept IP addresses (ie 1.2.3.4) in the connect field.

If you try to use "localhost" on the 2nd PC to connect to the server, it will try connect to itself instead. Localhost is a reference to 127.0.0.1 which is the loopback address, and it's defined under c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.

Any other name you add to that file also resolves into an IP address, it's like windows own DNS... which is useful to use sometimes when Windows inbuilt auto resolving stuff just fails. Vista seems a bit smarter at it than XP.

The SSID is just a wireless identifier and unrelated.

Usually you can connect to the PC name as you would see it under network neighborhood (this name is defined in control panel/system config or something). Software firewalls may get in the way.

If that fails, the quickest way to see the IP is to open up cmd, type ipconfig and look for the right adapter. That IP will work, but it changes if your using DHCP on the router. Routers usually also allow fixing MAC addresses (uniquely identifies the network adapter) to specific IP addresses. Then if its troublesome, you just add it to the hosts file and never have any problem with it. Using the ping command in cmd will indicate whether a hostname is resolving... and hopefully if your network is ok. Using telnet can indicate whether one PC can connect to a certain port on another.. in this case 7612.

Theres a few pointers.

VlyZy
09-13-2008, 10:19 AM
My bad on the first part, I didn't realize until this morning that when the "Connect" button it greyed (trying to connect) it keeps making the list longer, which is why I never saw the first six lines.

Connected to localhost : 7612.
localhost (127.0.0.1) connected.
Broadcast paused.
Removed hooks.
localhost removed.
Server closed connection.

Then after all that it repeats "Failed to connect with : 7612".

Not sure why server closed the connection.

The only firewalls I have are from XP and the Belkin router.

So if I'm reading the post right, "localhost" (w/o quotes) should only be used on the MAIN PC to connect? Then on the 2nd PC, I should type in MAIN or the name I gave the PC when I installed XP?

Thanks for the reply.

EDIT: I closed down Octopus and re-opened it and now it says:

Connected to localhost : 7612.
localhost (127.0.0.1) connected.
Broadcast paused.

It makes all the sounds for the broadcast keys too ("Pause/UnPause...)

I NEVER went into my router settings either, should I still add this program to the router to be safe (so it doesn't lose connection during gameplay)?

Also still not sure how to have the second computer connect. The MAIN computer only lists localhost, and nothing else. I typed in the MAIN PC name that I gave it when installing XP into the 2nd PC, but it gives me an error 11001.

skarlot
09-13-2008, 11:10 PM
First of all error 11001:

"Host not found.No such host is known. The name is not an official host name or alias, or it cannot be found in the database(s) being queried. This error may also be returned for protocol and service queries, and means that the specified name could not be found in the relevant database."
The first list of log entries looks like you started then stopped the server and it is ok. Then once its stopped, the client shouldn't be trying to connect any more. The start button is a toggle button!
You don't need to use localhost on the server, it will put it in automatically and then connect.
I'm not sure where MAIN is coming from, any hostname must resolve into an IP address. If MAIN is used in a tutorial, its the name of someone elses machine :)

When I said about using the router to lock IP addresses, it's not because it will break mid session, but rather DHCP (on the router) will probably issue a different IP each reboot (or re-enabling the network adapter). It's not the only way to create a static IP, it can be done via network config anyway for the network adapter.

Ok so if you can't use your PC name like you tried, you might need to mess with this stuff.... that's all. I've given lots of info but you need to read it. You need to use an IP or valid hostname on the 2nd PC to connect, and no firewall must be in the way. I can't make it more clear. Ie, the PC name works under ideal circumstances, but in my experience as well it just doens't work neccessarily, especially with XP.

VlyZy
09-13-2008, 11:56 PM
I just came back here to say I got myself connected. The name didn't work, but the IP Address number did.

I'll have to work more on it tomorrow with the keys, but the only ones being recognized by both PCs are WSAD.

I have 94 buttons in the keyboard list, and around 40 for the mouse.

Also WSAD on the main work perfectly, but on the other it's straight with a little vearing to the right (i.e. Main goes North, while Alt goes North-East).

Late for me, but wanted to add this in case I couldn't find an answer when I get back to it tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for the help and replies. :)

If I read it right, the instructions provided in KVM (KM) should have made both screens turn into "one" so to speak? If so, that didn't work either (I have them set up so Main got Left and Alt got Right). I even reversed it so Main got Right and Alt Left, but still nothing. Both screen resolutions are set at 1680x1050.

jmachie
09-14-2008, 02:35 PM
I was attempting to download Octopus to try it out. Your site does not load for me. Is it currently down? Or should I be looking at other reasons? Oh and thanks again for your time and effort on this project.

tranpeter
09-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Failed to start keyclone detection! (requires administrator).

How do i make that i become the administrator?

Ughmahedhurtz
09-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Failed to start keyclone detection! (requires administrator).

How do i make that i become the administrator?Right-click-->Run as Administrator.

VlyZy
09-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Haha, I loaded up my computers and opened Octopus on each one. Well, after clicking on the "Configure" button (Main PC) for the monitors I got this thread of errors.

Yes I installed the needed files to use this program, I was for a little getting more and more buttons working with both than WSAD.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Octopus.MainWindow.EditProfiles_Click(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandle r(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Objec t source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(RoutedEven tArgs args)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArg s e)
at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMo useLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseLeftButtonUpThunk( Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEv entHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Deleg ate handler, Object target)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandle r(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Objec t source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(RoutedEven tArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent)
at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEv entHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Deleg ate handler, Object target)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArg s args, Boolean trusted)
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingAr ea()
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(Inp utEventArgs input)
at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput (InputReport inputReport)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.Repo rtInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.Filt erMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessa ge(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation( Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.Internal RealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatch When(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(Dis patcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Dispatc herPriority priority, Delegate method, Object arg)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl( DispatcherFrame frame)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(Disp atcherFrame frame)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)
at System.Windows.Application.Run()
at Octopus.App.Main()

skarlot
09-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Jmachie, If you can't access it for an extended period then perhaps there is a problem with this host... but I really don't get told anything about up/down time. Being Australia located anything may happen between here and your location... so I just don't know...... I'm moving hosts soon anyhow.....

and.... thanks for the bug report I think this is something I've experienced, but its once in a blue moon so I've just left it..... I'll make a note.

VlyZy
09-15-2008, 01:51 PM
According to http://l00py.net/wow/OctopusTutorial/4.png , I should have the same list. I do, minus the hooks, how do I get them to be seen? I went through the walkthrough on the wiki a second time making sure I didn't miss anything, and that's when I noticed this.

Are there other files/options I need to download/check for this to be seen?

I have the hooks checked as stated, and rebooted the client to make sure I got the firewall check (and allowed it though). Now I am seeing in the list "Removed Hooks" when I connect, which I find odd. The only hook I did not check is the Direct3D one.

skarlot
09-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Is the problem with the KM... ? there's not much I can add.. this KM is old and I'm going to remove it. My new KM is much better, and I have plans to include a multi-level log at some stage for any problems that arise ... with this, somtimes i had to open and shut the KM config for it to update... but restarting the app would have the same effect... it just worked....

btw That pic is old... I took out the hook message since .. its dumb. it's not going to fail, if it does, you'll get a message :)

VlyZy
09-15-2008, 03:04 PM
Ok, deleting this post for two reasons...

1. Got them to communicate, BUT...

Inside the game is issues. If I have the alt follow, it won't follow because I hold down the Left & Right mouse button to turn (and thus kicks her off follow mode). That makes no sense, due to I NEVER held the LShift (Click Broadcast) button. Yet, if I want to do anything else with the mouse, I need to hold LShift (including picking up loot, talking to NPC, Accepting Quests...), just weird.

Also, what's the Passall (keys) on the bottom of the program. I need to check that in order for the Alt to cast at the same time as my main when I press a button.

skarlot
09-15-2008, 11:15 PM
The idea with pass all keys is it overrides the key list. Say, for typing in the same password across lots of toons, or emoting or whatever.

why is it loosing follow? is the left or right button broadcast?

Also, if Lshift is the click toggle, from memory it won't be broadcast as well, unless lshift -> lshift is on the mapping list. Then other clients will see unmodified clicks/key strokes and match against that.

VlyZy
09-16-2008, 02:00 AM
Ah, good to know. I was having issues with the LShift key. Reading that bit, I'll have to try the LShift -> LShift first. Then change it (if it doesn't best help me), not Tab, because I use that to target mobs (albeit, if needed I'll make a macro to target mobs and players).

I tested the follow, and realized in order to NOT lose follow, I had to remove WSAD as the moving buttons from the Alt as well (when Pass Key All was on). I forgot I had that on since it was the only way (at the time) I could have them cast the same thing at the same time.

Trying to find the best way to keep my alt on follow, so when in PVP, I don't lose follow.

Besides the "Pass All Key" option, is there a way I can have SOME keys be pass all? For example, I am trying to level two Mages, and I want them to both use certain spells at the same time (i.e. Fireball) without having to use the Broadcast key, while others (Frost Nova) I want to use the broadcast key so when one is on cool, I can use the other when needed.

EDIT: Well this is new... I shutdown Octopus on both PCs, then loaded them both back up and lost all my info on the Main, yet the Alt PC was untouched. :(

EDIT 2:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Octopus.MainWindow.EditProfiles_Click(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArg s e)
at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMo useLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseLeftButtonUpThunk( Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(RoutedEven tArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent)
at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArg s args, Boolean trusted)
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingAr ea()
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(Inp utEventArgs input)
at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput (InputReport inputReport)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.Repo rtInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.Filt erMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessa ge(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation( Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.Internal RealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatch When(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(Dis patcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Dispatc herPriority priority, Delegate method, Object arg)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl( DispatcherFrame frame)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(Disp atcherFrame frame)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)
at System.Windows.Application.Run()
at Octopus.App.Main()

I'm 2/2 in under 48 horus on errors. :D

skarlot
09-16-2008, 03:05 AM
The only foreseeable problem with config files, is if somehow the app doesn't have permission to modify/delete files in it's folder. I'd be suprised if this happens when run as an admin, because I have lots of checks around config loading / saving....

what I do is, follow key is broadcast, alts follow party1 from a follow macro, movement (ESDF) keys are not broadcast, W is like a strafe/spread out for all my alts (breaks follow). CTRL + ESDF moves/rotates all toons, etc. Pass all I use rarely... (or override DNP in keyclone which I'm using right now lol). Theres loads of different ways... thats just how I do it.

CumpsD
09-19-2008, 07:34 AM
Vista: 'Run as administrator' is probably advised (when using an admin account with UAC) and required for the keyclone anti double keying. Things like config not saving have been reported without.
Not even needed, I run it as a non-admin and it works perfectly. (Then again, I uninstalled keyclone, so no double keying can occur)

As for the config file, save it in a directory where you have permissions as non-admin (eg: NOT program files :p)

CumpsD
09-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Just tried to set up a leaderless setup and found out there's not hotstring support in Octopus :(

Unless I'm overlooking something? Any has gotten a leaderless setup working with Octo?

blast3r
09-24-2008, 06:25 PM
ugghhh...just changed from two video cards to one and used 'span'. octopus won't load my second screen so I come here to look at the tutorial and it isn't available anymore..crap. :(

tr0ubl3mak3r
09-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Are there any hints on getting the clicks more accurate between windows? After tinkering for 2 days I finally figured out how to get everything working, only whenever I click, the client clicks in a different spot (20-40 pixels away probably) and when it jumps back to the main window, my cursors in a different spot. I had to turn wow mode off under client->mouse, as the game I'm playing apparently isn't compatible, as the client will always click in the 0 x 0 position when it's on.

Edit: Nevermind, I either fixed it or found a work-around. I changed all the resolutions in KM to the size of the window instead of the size of the screen. Now it works pefect. :)

Prepared
09-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Are there any hints on getting the clicks more accurate between windows? After tinkering for 2 days I finally figured out how to get everything working, only whenever I click, the client clicks in a different spot (20-40 pixels away probably) and when it jumps back to the main window, my cursors in a different spot. I had to turn wow mode off under client->mouse, as the game I'm playing apparently isn't compatible, as the client will always click in the 0 x 0 position when it's on.

Edit: Nevermind, I either fixed it or found a work-around. I changed all the resolutions in KM to the size of the window instead of the size of the screen. Now it works pefect. :)

OHHHHHH!!!! Is that the secret? You change KM to be the size of the WoW window and then it wil be correct? Wow, that would really be helpful if that were posted some where. I must have missed it in the tutorials... :(

Ughmahedhurtz
09-24-2008, 10:55 PM
ugghhh...just changed from two video cards to one and used 'span'. octopus won't load my second screen so I come here to look at the tutorial and it isn't available anymore..crap. :(Whatchoo talkinbout, Willis? His main Octopus guide page is still up, so's my wiki one. Which one were you after?

skarlot
09-25-2008, 01:06 AM
I don't know how the KM is going to affect the accuracy of clicks. Sorry, but it's just not going to do that.... it makes no sense... The KM is looking for links on the edge of the screens and is disabled during a click cycle. If it wasn't, it'd be obvious. I find this hard to believe.

blast3r
09-25-2008, 05:03 AM
ugghhh...just changed from two video cards to one and used 'span'. octopus won't load my second screen so I come here to look at the tutorial and it isn't available anymore..crap. :(Whatchoo talkinbout, Willis? His main Octopus guide page is still up, so's my wiki one. Which one were you after?

For some reason I thought it was on skarlot's site. My bad! I got keyclone working pretty good. Probably better off with that since Octopus is no longer being developed, anywho.

Ozbert
09-25-2008, 07:31 AM
ugghhh...just changed from two video cards to one and used 'span'. octopus won't load my second screen so I come here to look at the tutorial and it isn't available anymore..crap. :(

If you're using span mode, then your graphics drivers are just reporting one extra wide screen to the OS instead of two screens.

For example, if you span across two 1920x1200 screens, then Windows thinks you have a single screen of 3840x1200. Set up your maximiser for that desktop size and you should be fine.

sy1717
10-01-2008, 03:29 PM
I read this thread, wiki, and I still can't make Octopus work on 1 PC with 2 instances of WoW. Perhaps I just don't understand the concept of what is server and what is client and how to configure it. And I couldn't find an example of such configuration. Is Octopus supposed to start second copy of the game? I found the place where you can specify WoW.exe filename, but it won't start it. Or should I start it manually? Then how do I connect to it? Any help?

EDIT: Eventually I figured it out. Not sure how, but it works. :) Both my instances of WoW accept keystokes from each other. Guess now I will have to start figuring macros and bindings.

sofakng
10-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Can I setup key modifiers to change my keyboard/mouse to control a specific instance versus all instances?

For example, I'd like to bind F10 to tell Octopus to send all keyboard/mouse events to ALL instances. Then, I'd bind F11 to tell Octopus to send keyboard/mouse events ONLY to instance #1, F12 for instance #2, etc, etc.

Oh, and I guess I'd need Octopus to set the window focus on that specific instance (or my default/instance #1).

That way I could easily switch between instances and do character-specific stuff when needed... (eg. move my mage out of the way, etc, etc).

skarlot
10-08-2008, 01:50 PM
yeah the idea with this program is just all input goes to the focused window on the focused client and the keylist filters for the rest of them.

sofakng
10-09-2008, 08:20 AM
I'm not sure what you mean...

Are you saying that what I want could be done? If so, how?

skarlot
10-09-2008, 09:05 AM
sorry can't do it.... not on the agenda for this app but maybe for an app I have on the back burner possibly.

Stereorage
10-12-2008, 08:03 PM
http://www.skarlot.net/octopus

The above link is not working for me at all. I've tried numerous times, different methods. Shut my firewall off temporarily and stuff, and it still does not work.

Is there an alternate mirror for the software?

UPDATE: Never mind. It just all sudden decides to work.

Scooper
10-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Greetings.

The feature described with sending cursor to multiple windows on one computer is exactly what I've been looking for.

Sadly the link isn't working for me atm, http://www.skarlot.net/octopus ('http://www.skarlot.net/octopus')

Not for any of my friends who I've asked to check for me either.

If anyone can help me that would be great =) I know that the project is on hold at the moment, but I could really really need it.

Also, will the cursor feature only work for WoW?

skarlot
10-14-2008, 12:04 PM
ok i took it down but now I'll put it back up (I hate to see it unavailable:P). Yes the cursor feature is only for WoW right now. I havn't even thought abuot it with anything else.

Scooper
10-14-2008, 12:05 PM
I was specifically interested in trying it for DAoC (dark age of camelot), since the program doesn't like to accept keystrokes before the window is active. Was hoping yours could work better :)

skarlot
10-24-2008, 08:29 PM
1.3.6a
Register tab moved to server tabs and changed so client won't try verify trial. (only relivent if you have > 1 PC) =)

Instance monitoring: changes to instance listing and run all to reflect non active instances.
Moved wowhook dll injection option to client.
Added wowhook option for allowing background clicks.
Removed D3D hook (causing crashes on PiP and Launch, finding a better and easier alternative...)
The profiles setup window is resizable.
Corrected a tooltip for mouse look delay to remove the reference to focus follows mouse which has its own delay timer.
Removed the multicolor theme (yeah ok).

Please note... both of the dependency packages are at service pack 1 now. they are linked at skarlot.net/octopus. If you don't upgrade .NET it'll almost definitely crash!

I've decided to make this app $20 AUD, it will have a 2 week trial period where it phones home and then after activating it doesn't require that.

PS people who donated just PM me and i'll give a free serial code.

skarlot
10-27-2008, 02:22 AM
1.3.6b
Added timed config saving.
Fix: Stopped clipboard transfers > than incoming buffer allocations.
Supports L/R button switching (via control panel/mouse - Apply button must be hit before changes take effect).

I hope WOTLK inspires me to make Octopus 2 :P.

Vik
10-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Hello m8s, I downloaded it yesterday, and when i open octipus i get an error... :

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: can not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. EThe system can not find the file specified
Nombre de archivo: 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
en Octopus.MainWindow..ctor()

AVS: the registration of the link assembly is off.
Pto enable logging of errors of the link assembly, set the value of registry [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) como 1. (This reg doesn't exist)
Note: There is a decrease in performance associated error log link assembly.

To disable this feature, delete the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog]. (doesn't exist)

I ve searched on forum , but nothing found, thx

skarlot
10-30-2008, 12:16 AM
well the obvious is .NET 3.5 SP1, is it installed properly.. System.Core is part of .NET 3.5 i believe.

Elili
11-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Getting the following error in Windows Vista, and need some guidance as to what could be causing it.

system.ArgumentException:illegal characters in path
at system.io.path.checkinvalidpathchars(string path)
at system.IO.path.normalizepathfast(string path, boolean fillCheck)
at system.IO.path.getfullpathinternal)string path)
at system.IO.Fileinfo..ctor(string fileName):
at octopus.components.client.runinstance(object o)
at system.threating.threadhelper.threadstart_context( object state)
at system.threading.executioncontext.run(executioncon tectexecutioncontext,contextcallback callback.object state)
at system.threading.threadhelper.threadstart(object obj)

skarlot
11-06-2008, 12:23 AM
straight from the horses mouth (MS) "The file name is empty, contains only white spaces, or contains invalid character".
The path in question is the path of the game executable on the client.
Any help?

Elili
11-06-2008, 01:03 AM
straight from the horses mouth (MS) "The file name is empty, contains only white spaces, or contains invalid character".
The path in question is the path of the game executable on the client.
Any help?

That's what I assumed as well. I'll have to go back and double check (Trying to trouble shoot another persons client without the ability to see it, they might have hit a bad key in their games path).

Rhod
11-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Skarlot,

EDIT: Removed. The problem I was experiencing was directly related to Micrsoft and was kicking back a generic error code and also appeared unique. Removed for lack of any further assistance value to other members. (And because I didn't want to post another thread saying "Yay, Microsoft sux and I fixed it." .. :P )

skarlot
11-09-2008, 12:55 AM
oh good, problem 2 is solved :)

I mean, I have no idea about how .NET installs really. What 3.5 SP1 says is it covers all previous versions. So if I had a problem I'd just uninstall all previous versions then install .NET 3.5 sp1.

There is a .NET forum here http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/netfxsetup/threads/, it seems it is not unusual to have a problem with it. 8o

googling "DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 x86 is not installed." has a few results... such as http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/Workaround.aspx?FeedbackID=345315

skarlot
11-09-2008, 11:20 AM
BTW the number on the PayPal receipt is a serial number, ie Octopus XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX.

I think a couple of ppl maybe missed that but ive made it clearer now. I've been changing things around a bit since emails have been spam blocked, paypal emails invalid, etc, etc.etc. :D

weeep
11-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Hi, I am using trial now and I'm having same issue as with Keyclone - sometimes my Alt key seems stuck for some slave windows. It is used as self cast modifier and sometimes some of my slaves start healing themselves instead of target. If I just press Alt, they start acting normally again. It happens much less often compared to keyclone, but still it is very annoying.

skarlot
11-14-2008, 01:31 AM
alright,

I've decided to call it a day. I've lost interest in WoW and this is just not worth while. Yay for having 5 copies of WoTLK on pre order and 5 extra BC copies.

What I have done is put a unlocked version of it on the website, with these changes:

OSD window exits drag state when LSHIFT released.
WoWhook mouse broadcasting improved: focus follows mouse doesn't interfere so bad when mouse looking where the foreground windows mouse look point is over another window. (bad WoW!)

This file has all the web pages I did PDF'd in it so these boards don't become a nightmare.

I will host the file until the new year.

weeep
11-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Sorry to hear this :( Any chance you can make sources available too? I might fix some issues I'm having and of course it will not be turned into any form of commercial product

skarlot
11-14-2008, 10:49 PM
At this stage I'm not going to, it would take me hours before I was happy to release it. Come january I may feel different, but definitely not now.

skarlot
11-16-2008, 09:39 PM
a bug has been found causing 100% usage of one core, this will be fixed, when it is, the download file/version will change to revision A!

skarlot
11-17-2008, 12:06 AM
the 100% usage bug effected at least XP. It may not have been serious, in that it was only a OSD/WM_PAINT bug, so the usage may be misleading anyway possibly. In any case, it goes to show - keep an eye on the task manager :-)

jodiboli
11-18-2008, 08:14 AM
Thank you for great posting. Its been help me really.

codemonkey
11-19-2008, 06:45 PM
the download link doesn't appear to work. i've been using this for a while, but wanted to grab a newer version. is there anyway to get an updated download link?

thanks

edit: seems to be working now. thanx, this program is great for dual-boxing

slongz
11-26-2008, 02:44 AM
anyone got a working copy of this they can upload or a better link I have tried for a few days and cant get the page to load

Ty

bigdadyc
11-27-2008, 03:39 PM
None of the download links WORK! D: WHY!! :cursing:

mellamojay
11-28-2008, 07:30 PM
This has been an AWESOME program and i went to go upgrade to the newest and see that the program page has been down for quite some time. Does anyone have the newest version that we could get posted till the page is back up. Also if the OP needs any help shoot me a pm and ill see what i can do.

kawaiidesu
11-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Sorry to see you go =( Your software was a big part of our inspiration to multi-box ! Hope you find happiness in whatever game/project you move onto next !

Final Version: http://www.kawaiiwolf.com/octopus1.3.8a.rar

Older Versions
- http://www.kawaiiwolf.com/octopus1.3.5c.zip
- http://www.kawaiiwolf.com/octopus1.3.5f.zip

Note: These links will be taken down if Skarlot requests.

eqjoe
12-02-2008, 01:06 AM
I have 1.3.5f. I am not sure if that is a better release than 1.3.5c or not.

-j

SideWays
12-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Hmm I thank u for ur work!
here is a link to the Octopus 1.3.8a version:
http://rapidshare.com/files/169946833/Octopus_1.3.8.rar
U can upload it on ur host kawaii ;)
Note: The link will be taken down if Skarlot requests.

mercdev
12-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Hmm I thank u for ur work!
here is a link to the Octopus 1.3.8a version:
http://rapidshare.com/files/169946833/Octopus_1.3.8.rar
U can upload it on ur host kawaii ;)Thanks for making that available!

odonthe1st
12-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Hi,

I get a "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application" error when clicking on Octopus.exe. Running as admin doesn't change anything. I'm using XP pro, fresh install. I had an older version of Octopus working yesterday (on Vista)but my comp decided to quit on me. I had saved the older version of Octo in a folder but clicking on that doesn't work either...just thought of the ".Net framework" thing...gonna try that..sorry if I just answered my own question but maybe this will be helpful to some other idiot. I'll edit this one way or the other...

thx in advance,

d

EDIT: Yeah it was the lack of .NET Framework, Octopus started fine this time.

Varmon
12-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Greetings,

I was interested in trying out Octopus but the download link (skarlot.net) times out whenever I try to hit the page? Is there a new place to download Octopus by chance?

Thanks

eqjoe
12-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Greetings,

I was interested in trying out Octopus but the download link (skarlot.net) times out whenever I try to hit the page? Is there a new place to download Octopus by chance?

ThanksWow... I guess you are not much of a reader. Look in 4th post above yours, which you would have found if you had searched. Non-reading post-happy users are lame. Don't be lame.

-j

Varmon
12-30-2008, 02:43 AM
Greetings,

ThanksWow... I guess you are not much of a reader. Look in 4th post above yours, which you would have found if you had searched. Non-reading post-happy users are lame. Don't be lame.

-j

Right, because searching for "octopus download" brought me back to this thread in the first place and I should have known to immediately use and trust rehosted links provided by people who are not the author... links for which there are no followups to speak of at this time. No offense to those who provided the links (Thankyou for that) as I'm sure they are fine and safe and all that....Anyway, yeah i'm sorry if all this is going over your head eqjoe (computer talk and all) and my apologies for flooding these forums with posts. I know that 6 posts with 1 of them being a question throughout my entire membership here is a pretty ridiculous

eqjoe
12-30-2008, 05:10 PM
I am not the one who made a post asking for a working link 4 posts under a working link in the same thread. So shove your attitude sir.

-j

Brandish
12-30-2008, 10:00 PM
As he quite civilly explained, the 'working link 4 posts above' was not from the original author's site. He is quite justified being suspicious of them. Regarding attitude, and shoving thereof, you, eqjoe, are the one who seems to be the self-appointed forum police, coming in with snarkiness when you see someone not behaving as you deem proper. Should I look at how many of your posts are condescending retorts aimed at people who you think aren't reading or otherwise behaving to your liking? Why not post something useful instead of boosting your post count with.... posts that ultimately make you look foolish, and, ironically, seem to demonstrate a lack of being able to read yourself.

eagleeyee
01-04-2009, 07:54 PM
While it's a bit annoying please let's not spam and be helpful as possiable we are all trying to accomplish the same thing and that's Box and have some fun.

Just wanted to also say thanks for the updates to Octopus, Wish you well in your next endevors(SP?) :D

kawaiidesu
01-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Since I haven't heard from Skarlot, I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's okies to keep hosting these!
Note: Reposting so it doesn't get buried.

Final Version: http://www.kawaiiwolf.com/octopus1.3.8a.rar

Older Versions
- http://www.kawaiiwolf.com/octopus1.3.5c.zip
- http://www.kawaiiwolf.com/octopus1.3.5f.zip

Note: These links will be taken down if Skarlot requests.

Remember: If you haven't read the instructions for these (which you should by the way! first page) then you'll need to get a couple other files to get these to work (At least for 1.3.5, I haven't tried 1.3.8 yet).
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package ( x86 ('http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en') or x64 ('http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=90548130-4468-4BBC-9673-D6ACABD5D13B&displaylang=en') ) Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 ('http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en') Good luck !

Katannah
02-12-2009, 02:09 PM
I've gone through 15 pages of posts since I searched on "octopus tutorials," and other than the wiki which doesn't contain all of the information on setting up the client that Skarlot used to have on his site (with pictures, alas), I''m stuck.

For some reason my 1.3.5f which was working just fine yesterday has today reset itself without warning or reason, and I'm having to reconfigure. My client and server aren't speaking, and in fact, my server thinks it's a client for some reason. So I'm stuck and with no answers, and as a last resort (yes, a last resort, because I see how all the other new people get flamed for asking "stupid" questions), I am requesting help. Not scathing, pithy remarks, but a clue.

I know I'm old and stupid, I know I'm not computer savvy, and I know I can't read, so there, I've covered the basic insults with which newcomers are greeted by oldtimers, can we save time and could someone with patience and compassion please just direct me somewhere constructive?

Kawaii, I would like to try your updated version, but I am scared to do so without a tutorial. :( Is there one, anywhere, that will help me feel like a modestly intelligent adult once again?

Katannah
02-12-2009, 02:23 PM
I'll go ahead and flame myself... I spent the $30 and extracted the files, and saw there is a PDF for an Octopus Guide in Kawaii's bundle. Kawaii, thank you very much for your efforts to keep this application going.

Moorea
02-13-2009, 11:49 PM
I'll go ahead and flame myself... I spent the $30 and extracted the files, and saw there is a PDF for an Octopus Guide in Kawaii's bundle. Kawaii, thank you very much for your efforts to keep this application going.
What $30 for ?

foxiegrandpa
02-20-2009, 02:44 AM
What $30 for ?I think he means he spent $30 for an extracting program. D'oh!

Guys- free ones are 7-zip and IZarc. Use them! I use IZarc, it's great.

As he quite civilly explained, the 'working link 4 posts above' was not from the original author's site. He is quite justified being suspicious of them. Regarding attitude, and shoving thereof, you, eqjoe, are the one who seems to be the self-appointed forum police, coming in with snarkiness when you see someone not behaving as you deem proper. Should I look at how many of your posts are condescending retorts aimed at people who you think aren't reading or otherwise behaving to your liking? Why not post something useful instead of boosting your post count with.... posts that ultimately make you look foolish, and, ironically, seem to demonstrate a lack of being able to read yourself.

Yep. The fact that he didn't do that in the first place, he brought it upon himself. There was a working link 4 posts above and he posted "Looking for Octopus, any new links?"

If you've downloaded something and found a virus or ran it through one of those internet virus searchers, then fine. Come here and tell us if it looks suspicious. The fact that he didn't try it at all, and then just went and said "Looking for another link" made it seem like he had put no thought into his post at all nor tried to search it. He didn't demonstrate what he meant by "another link" to mean "another link specifically endorsed by the original author of the program." Or- "the same link," now did he? So- I'd have to agree with the person who corrected him and asked him to read the forums. Honestly, it is his fault for making himself look like an idiot, then attacking the person who told him that there /was/ a link there for obviously not knowing anything about computers and of accusing him of flooding the forums with posts, which the person showed no indications of being guilty of.

Aleaona
04-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Hey Im trying to use Octopus for Dark Age of Camelot online, and I can't quite get it to function, can someone please help?

Flight
05-01-2009, 06:27 AM
Thankyou for the link, Kawai :)

Haven't boxed for quite a while so I am well out of the loop on what appears to be new software tools available.

Using Kawais link, does it still need to be registered via a payment on paypal (the link to paypal in the guide included in the download isn't working for me). is it one payment of $14 per machine you will use it on or is it one payment just for the server and then you can run as many clients as you want ?

Do any of the new software tools I see in other threads do the same thing as Octopus or are they the same as keyclone ? Would folk still recommend Octopus to do the job of one client per PC boxing or are other supported programs as good ?

Blackout1
06-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Hey i would just like to confirm for everyone else that i have downloaded the octopus 1.3.8 from Kawaii and so far no viruses, thanks alot Kawaii